EPG width

Moderators: Gully, peteru

AvB
Apprentice

EPG width

Post by AvB » Mon Dec 02, 2019 14:48

I've just upgraded my T2 to the new firmware and have been re-setting various options. One thing I can't figure out is how to reduce the spread of the EPG. The service name section on the far left is mostly chopped off by the screen. I've tried adjusting everything that looks appropriate in the EPG menu but with no success so far.

Also a second question ... some years ago in response to a question I posted here, I installed the "items to folders" plugin, and it is really useful. Should I download it and install it for this new firmware too? (i.e. might it already be incorporated in the new version, and if not, is it compatible with this upgrade?).

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Re: EPG width

Post by MrQuade » Mon Dec 02, 2019 15:08

AvB wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 14:48
I've just upgraded my T2 to the new firmware and have been re-setting various options. One thing I can't figure out is how to reduce the spread of the EPG. The service name section on the far left is mostly chopped off by the screen. I've tried adjusting everything that looks appropriate in the EPG menu but with no success so far.
The problem is in your TV, not the T2 (though it is possible to compensate for the problem in the T2 if the TV doesn't have the right settings).
Your TV is overscanning the image that is being sent from the T2, which means that you miss out on the edges of the picture, and end up with a slightly fuzzified (scaled) image on screen.
You need to go into your TV settings and disable the overscan setting (its name will vary depending on brand). Often the setting can be found under the "Aspect ratio" section, and may be called "dot for dot", "per pixel", or "just scan", or something along those lines. That mode will ensure the TV is mapping the incoming video signal as directly as possible to the pixels in the TV's panel.

If you have an older TV, such as some older 720p models, then you may lack that setting. In that case, you can go into the T2 settings under MENU->AV setup->OSD position. From there you can scale and move the T2's picture to fit the frame of your TV. This will only change the user interface on the T2 mind you, the actual video signal will still be cut off on the sides, that's why it is better to fix it in the TV.

If you have any high resolution video sources on other TV inputs, then it would be a good idea to adjust the aspect ratio for them too. You will end up with a sharper picture that shows all of the frame.
AvB wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 14:48
Also a second question ... some years ago in response to a question I posted here, I installed the "items to folders" plugin, and it is really useful. Should I download it and install it for this new firmware too? (i.e. might it already be incorporated in the new version, and if not, is it compatible with this upgrade?).
Series2Folder is still available, and is not part of the main firmware. You can grab it from the Plugins forum in the Series2Folder thread here.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

AvB
Apprentice

Post by AvB » Mon Dec 02, 2019 15:57

Thanks heaps Mr Quade. The TV is a Panasonic Viera plasma 60", P50ST50A and I can't find any setting to do what you're describing. I've searched the menu display options and also the aspect ratio button options and am at a loss! If anyone knows where to find the overscan setting please let me know! Cheers!

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Mon Dec 02, 2019 16:03

AvB wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 15:57
Thanks heaps Mr Quade. The TV is a Panasonic Viera plasma 60", P50ST50A and I can't find any setting to do what you're describing. I've searched the menu display options and also the aspect ratio button options and am at a loss! If anyone knows where to find the overscan setting please let me know! Cheers!
Ahh, an old Plasma, I was going to call it a loss, but had a look at the manual. Looks like yours is one of the fancier ones that does have a proper 1080p panel.

It looks like the setting is under Picture Advanced Settings. (page 42.)
https://www.panasonic.com/content/dam/P ... ctions.pdf
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

AvB
Apprentice

Post by AvB » Mon Dec 02, 2019 16:22

You guys are ridiculously helpful and the world is a better place for this forum! Thanks!

I have to admit my stupidity, that the reason I couldn't find the overscan setting was that I didn't see that there were 2 pages of settings in the Picture menu!!!

Turned it off, and it looks like it should. Thanks again!

Return to “General Topics”