T3 and U4 shutdown malfunction

Moderators: Gully, peteru

geoffree
Master

T3 and U4 shutdown malfunction

Post by geoffree » Wed Mar 21, 2018 09:21

Shutdown problems - T3 and U4

G’day all,
I have had an issue in the past with my T3 not shutting down properly in certain situations. I always assumed it was an issue related specifically to my unit, which didn’t function properly out of the box on day one. (It seemed as if an update at the factory had not concluded properly)
but I now notice that my new U4 is showing similar behaviours.

Presenting problem:
When I first started to use my T3 years ago, I noticed that it would often not shut down properly, regardless of power timer settings. The machine would hang on that message “recordings are in progress, or about to start, are you sure you want to shut down”
(I may not be using the exact wording, but I’m sure many of you will have seen this message occasionally) Sometimes there would be a reference to timeshifting going on or being saved at the time)
Consistently, I would receive this message, when timeshifting was NOT occurring, and there was NO recording happening, OR set to record for many hours, OR when a recording had occurred sometime since the last shutdown. (This last bit is a crucial piece of information)
If I chose to shut down the unit anyway, a shutdown would proceed, but the unit would appear to ‘crash’ at the very end of the process, with the word “BEYONWIZ” static on the front panel, and the remote completely unresponsive. Sometimes, the shutdown would appear to occur normally. (Completely blank front panel) but the machine would start up again within about a minute or so. (No recording would happen of course, because there was no recording set for that time) Then, it would behave normally, and shutdown appropriately.
The only solution I found when the machine became completely unresponsive was to turn it off at the switch at the rear of the machine, then it would reboot, and behave normally.

Troubleshooting:
Over a couple of years, I learnt to live with this problem, but spent quite a lot of time testing certain situations:
I then discovered some interesting but frustrating things!
- If I started the machine myself, to watch a program, and no recording had taken place, I could then shut it down normally, or leave it to shut itself down obeying any power timers. Situation normal.
- When the issue was happening, I found that if I restarted the GUI, instead of a manual shutdown, that would put machine back into its normal mode, and it would then obey any shutdown timers. This was a much safer option than the power switch off solution, and is the one I have used for years now when I want to shut the machine down.
- NB: If the machine was left completely unattended, at the time a recording was set, it would start up, do the recording, and then shutdown appropriately obeying any power timers.
- But if at any time during that recording event, I watched a pre-existing recording, it would cause this problem to eventually occur at the end of the current recording.
- I also discovered that merely navigating through the menu, not launching a pre-existing recording, would also trigger the problem to occur later after the current recording.
- To isolate whether this had something to do with power timer settings, I tried operating machine without any power timers set at all: same problem would occur. Obviously, the unit would stay on, but if a recording had occurred since the last start-up, I would see the symptoms.
- Isolating IceTV. I tried resetting the machine to default settings, and not using IceTV, setting programs through the EPG. Same pattern of symptoms.
- After speaking to a guy at IceTV about this, because I thought it might be a problem with their set up, his description was “sounds to me as if recording timers are not completing correctly, meaning, that the recording is occurring, and stopping, but somehow the timer is still remaining active in the system” Whether this is true or not, I don’t know, but it is certainly a good way to describe the problem in layman’s terms. But he was at a loss to explain why navigating the menu or watching another program itself, would trigger the behaviour. (This is absolutely consistent by the way)
SO, the situation has been for some time now, with the T3, is that I just have to restart the GUI, and leave it alone, and it will eventually shut itself down.

What concerns me, is that the new U4 is showing similar behaviours, but not quite as bad.
When it shows the “recordings are in progress…etc” message, it does not ‘crash’ when I do a manual shutdown, but always shuts down properly, BUT does the same start-up after a couple of minutes business as described above. (Absolutely consistently)
I have not had the time to reperform the above troubleshooting tests on the U4.

Any thoughts, team?
Thank you as always, for your attention.
Geoffrey
U4, T3 (as backup) Retired: Wintal PVR-10 HD, Strong SRT 5492, DSE DS6200PVR, Wintal PVR-X10a, Coffee: Delonghi MAGNIFICA

prl
Wizard God

Re: T3 and U4 shutdown malfunction

Post by prl » Wed Mar 21, 2018 09:52

geoffree wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 09:21
... merely navigating through the menu ...

"The menu"? There are quite a few. Which one(s) cause the problem?

Also, what firmware version are you running on the two boxes (the release date form, not just 16.1 or 17.5)?
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:46

If you can spare one of the units for a while, I would recommend flashing the latest firmware and starting with a clean configuration. Then try changing the absolute minimum number of options you'd require in order to make recordings and shutdown timers etc, and see if the issue happens. It seems apparent that there is some combination of settings that you use that are affecting the operation of the U4 and T3 that other people are not seeing.

Before you do that, it might be worth checking a few things though. When the shutdown message bug appears, you may want to check the task list to see if the Wiz is trying to finish something before shutting down. You can see that either by pressing the BLUE button, or by going into Files/Sources and pressing INFO.

Also, you can try enabling debug logging and than triggering the bug. You can post the debug log here for a guru to inspect.

You don't have any other plugins running? EPGRefresh, or Series2folder, or anything like that which either create recordings, or do stuff after recordings?

As a complete stab in the dark, you haven't set any of the "descramble" options in MENU->Setup->TV->Recording settings? (set the recording type to something other than "normal"?)
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

geoffree
Master

Post by geoffree » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:09

g’day Peter,
thank you again for your generous assistance.
(By the way I already posted reply to your posting, tried to attach images in line, and lost my message. So not sure if this reply will appear twice)

By “menu” I mean any of the menus on either of the BEYONWIZ units.
Remember, I have had a couple of years to try lots of troubleshooting on the T3.
I probably haven’t tried accessing every single menu option, but I found that simply by navigating into the recordings area, navigating into set up, navigating into any of the other areas there, would trigger the problem to eventually occur. I discovered that the only way to ensure that the unit will start itself up properly do a recording and then shutdown,
obeying power timers, is to leave the unit completely untouched. I fully understand that this doesn’t make sense, but I’m absolutely confident on this. As a said, I’ve had years to test this.

Regarding firmware, I believe that I have the latest firmware for the T3 and for the U4. I attached images before the message crashed, or whatever, I will attempt to attach those images again.
I just noticed a disturbing variation:
With the T3, all I had to do was restart the GUI, and then the machine would behave normally as I stated in my original message. I thought it was the same for the U4, but I’ve just had an experience, (when going through some of the tests I had done on the T3, but on the U4) and reaching the same “recordings are in process…..” message I restarted the GUI on the U4, it appeared to behave normally, meaning that eventually I was back to where I could see a channel playing etc. I found however, that the unit had become completely unresponsive after restarting the GUI. The only way to get any control over it was to turn off / on the switch at the back. This never happened with the T3. Restarting the GUI, always got the unit back into its normal behaviour mode.
God, this is a real mess
thanks
Geoffrey
Attachments
Beyonwiz U4 firmware as at 21-3-18.jpg
Beyonwiz T3 firmware as at 21-3-18.jpg
U4, T3 (as backup) Retired: Wintal PVR-10 HD, Strong SRT 5492, DSE DS6200PVR, Wintal PVR-X10a, Coffee: Delonghi MAGNIFICA

geoffree
Master

Post by geoffree » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:10

g’day MrQuade (again! I know I am the user from hell)
thanks for replying.
I certainly did try the option with the T3 a long time ago, re-flashing,
working with just the default plug-ins and settings , didn’t even load IceTV, and the problem still persisted. I have not done this test with the U4.
I have never had any plug-in that should be wanting to process a recording after it’s been made on either unit.
I’ll see if I can set up the debug log thing you mentioned.
Regarding “descramble” it is possible that I may have set that to on.
What is its default mode? If the default mode is off, then we could assume that this can’t be the problem, is when I did the reflash to the T3, as described above, the problem still persisted, but I will have a look now. I’d probably like to focus on the U4 as I’m basically using the T3 as playback only at the moment, but I certainly could set it up to record.
Thank you
Geoffrey

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:13

geoffree wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:09
Regarding firmware, I believe that I have the latest firmware for the T3 and for the U4.
The screenshots show that it is not the latest firmware, though it's reasonably recent. The latest firmware is 20180319.

Is the "recordings in progress..." message actually "Recording(s) are in progress or coming up soon, or you are saving timeshift!" or something else? And how are you shutting down, via a shutdown timer (and exactly what sort - Timer type), via the power button configured for "Immediate shutdown", or via the Power / Restart screen (usually reached by long-POWER, but also via MENU>Power). If it's more than one of those, which ones? It's necessary to know that in order to find exactly what test is being applied.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

geoffree
Master

Post by geoffree » Wed Mar 21, 2018 14:26

G’day all,
regarding firmware updates.
Checking for updates within U4 shows “nothing to update”
checking for updates within T3 shows “nothing to update”
Which unit are you speaking about when you say it doesn’t have the latest firmware?
(A complication may be that about eighteen months ago, when dealing with other T3 issues, Jai put my T3 on the beta server for updates) I'm not sure what to do next. I’m concerned that the internal update process doesn’t seem to be working.
I’m sceptical that an update would deal with this issue, and unless we know for sure that it has been addressed in the update. I have never been able to find anybody else who has this problem, so I am not confident!

Regarding the message that I see: it is usually "Recording(s) are in progress or coming up soon, or you are saving timeshift" (In the past, the timeshift reference did not appear on the T3, but it is consistently appearing on the U4.
Regarding shutdown timers: I have tried every sort of shutdown timer from the standby timers,
to the deep standby timers, even no timers at all!
(checking carefully that if there is a deep standby timer and an ordinary standby timer, that the setting in the deep standby timer, saying that it should only operate if the unit is already in standby, is correct) I hope you understand what I mean. This is very difficult to notate.
All combinations of shutdown timers produce the same result. Standby timers will work okay, meaning that they will put the machine to standby. But any timer that tries to do an actual shutdown, will always stall at the “recordings are in progress” message UNLESS the issues are as I described, that I have not touched the unit. Meaning, that if I’ve turned on the unit to watch something, but not record something, I can shut the machine down either using a timer or the power button. If a recording has occurred, it will trigger the message if I try to shut the machine down after the recording has finished.
Any shutdown option that I try to operate from the power button, produces the same result.
I can say very confidently, that it doesn’t matter how the shutdown command is triggered, I always get stuck on that screen, unless I have not touched the machine. As described in my original email.
I don’t usually use the power/restart screen.

Not sure that I’ve noted this already, but the descramble option was not set to normal on the U4. I don’t ever remember touching that setting on the T3. I have now set it to normal on the U4.
I cannot see how to enable debug logging. Can someone tell me where to find that please?

To describe the problem really simply, if a recording has taken place on the machine, and the user has in any way accessed any of the menus, the machine will not shutdown normally under any circumstances.

Thank you

Geoffrey

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 16:09

Hi Geoffrey,

You are not on the Beta feeds now, You need to follow these instructions on both machines and then retry the online update check to update.
Not sure that I’ve noted this already, but the descramble option was not set to normal on the U4. I don’t ever remember touching that setting on the T3. I have now set it to normal on the U4.
If you mean "Descramble HTTP streams" from the Tuner menu, that setting default is ON but it is unlikely to have anything to do with this problem.
I cannot see how to enable debug logging. Can someone tell me where to find that please?
In a browser on the same network as the T3/U4 type "http://beyonwizT3" or "http://beyonwizU4" as appropriate. A very powerful web interface called Openwebif should open if the names are correct. In time, you will discover you can control an awful lot of the units settings from this interface.
  1. On the LHS you will see "Extras". Click on the sub-heading "Settings".
  2. Now in the next column go to "Log Settings". Click "Enable debug logs".
  3. Also, we recommend you change the log location to the second option: "/media/hdd". The default location is flash memory and can cause problems with large logs.
  4. Do not alter the log size settings - they don't work on the beyonwiz.

To describe the problem really simply, if a recording has taken place on the machine, and the user has in any way accessed any of the menus, the machine will not shutdown normally under any circumstances.
This is truly bizarre. My T3 operates with standby timers, records huge amounts and we play back recordings every night over dinner. We navigate through many menus with no hint of this problem. I have only seen the message that recordings are in progress when the standby timer fired while a late recording was active. A rare event.

Cheers,
Paul
Samsung QA65Q80TAWXXY 4K TV
Samsung HW Q800BXY soundbar
OverlayHD 1.70, IceTV, Foxtel IQ4
2 x Win7 PCs, 2 x Win10 PCs
Denon AVR -X2400H

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Wed Mar 21, 2018 16:42

Reboot for logging to take affect.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Mar 21, 2018 16:54

We always shut down our in-use T4 when it's not in use, almost always by using a short-POWER that has been configured to the "Immediate shutdown" action.

I have never seen the "Recording(s) are in progress or coming up soon, or you are saving timeshift" message, and indeed, it should never happen when the PVR is shut down that way. It should notice that there are active recordings and go to standby until the recordings complete, and then shut down when there are no more recordings to make.

When I asked about the timer type, there are three timer types that can go to shutdown, "go to deep standby", "auto deepstandby" and "reboot" (the latter will restart immediately after shutting down). I'm still not really sure which you're using, is it "go to deep standby"? (deep standby is the same as shutdown).

You should never get the "Recording(s) are in progress or coming up soon, or you are saving timeshift" going to standby, by whatever means.

Could you please give me a detailed, step by step description of any single repeatable way to get into the state where you get the "Recording(s) are in progress or coming up soon, or you are saving timeshift" when you try to shut down manually (including exactly how you shut down manually)? Even better would be steps that also lead to the crash or hang when you proceed with the shutdown. Please also give the firmware version and hardware you did it on. I can then do the same on matching hardware with matching firmware.

Without a way to replicate the problem and look at logs it's hard to pinpoint the cause. Please have a look at peteru's post How to create good bug reports.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Mar 21, 2018 17:08

Paul_oz53 wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 16:09
This is truly bizarre. My T3 operates with standby timers, records huge amounts and we play back recordings every night over dinner. We navigate through many menus with no hint of this problem. I have only seen the message that recordings are in progress when the standby timer fired while a late recording was active. A rare event.

I don't think you can get the "Recording(s) are in progress or coming up soon, or you are saving timeshift" message going into standby, no matter what sends you there.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

grampus
Wizard

Post by grampus » Wed Mar 21, 2018 17:10

my twopennorth, the only ti e I have seen that in my environment is when I am about to restart the gui,
Or, reboot manually. but then again, GOF, things slip by me.
Screen: Panasonic TH-60ST60A; BeyonWiz U4; T3; Panasonic BD-35 Blu_Ray player

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Mar 21, 2018 17:25

grampus wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 17:10
my twopennorth, the only ti e I have seen that in my environment is when I am about to restart the gui,
Or, reboot manually. but then again, GOF, things slip by me.

It can (or rather should) happen when there are recordings running and you try to:
Shut down
Reboot
Restart GUI
Factory reset
Restore settings
Online upgrade
Front panel upgrade

That applies to shutdown via timer or through the MENU>Power menu. If you shut down by a POWER button press tied to "Immediate shutdown" when recordings are running, you should go to standby to complete recording, and then shut down.

Power management is complicated, and still not quite right, with or without Geoffrey's problem.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Gully

Post by Gully » Wed Mar 21, 2018 17:30

geoffree wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:09
Regarding firmware, I believe that I have the latest firmware for the T3 and for the U4. I attached images before the message crashed, or whatever, I will attempt to attach those images again.
Hi Geoffrey

Just to add some clarity to what you are posting and explain some other reasons why posting the exact firmware is important.

It means we can test for the same problems knowing we are using the same version and even if the particular problem isn't listed doesn't mean it didn't get fixed.

Also when you update the firmware by USB, you do need to re-run the the beta feed script to get those updates going again, so that could be another reason you are not getting the latest version on your machines.
Cheers
Gully

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Wed Mar 21, 2018 17:53

Something is up :shock:

I set a padded instant recording of the current event. Then after about 1 minute I sent the T4 into shutdown via the Power / Restart menu. I got the usual recording in progress prompt and replied yes. The T4 shutdown as expected.
I watched for a few mins and didn't see the T4 spring back to life as has been reported here - okay then, that's fine as that's what I expected.
Later, I notice the T4 is in the running state, huh? :roll: No timers were due as the next one is set for 19:20.
I take a gander at the penultimate debug log - why the wakeup for 14:51; is it a coincidence this is 4 mins before the end time of the instant timer?

Code: Select all

{608}< 14888.966> KEY: 167 long KEY_RECORD ('RECORD',)
{608}< 14888.967> [ActionMap] ButtonSetupActions pvr_long
{608}< 14888.967> [ActionMap] unknown action ButtonSetupActions/pvr_long! typo in keymap?
{608}< 14888.967> [ActionMap] InfobarInstantRecord LongRecord
{608}< 14889.009> [RecordTimer] Record RecordTimerEntry(name=Regular Show, begin=Wed Mar 21 14:21:33 2018, end=Wed Mar 21 14:55:00 2018, serviceref=1:0:1:463:460:1012:EEEE0000:0:0:0:, justplay=False, isAutoTimer=False)
{608}< 14889.010> [RecordTimer] activating state 1
{608}< 14947.933> dvb time sync disabled... so set RTC now to current linux time! Wed 21 Mar 2018 14:22
{608}< 14947.936> set wakeup time to Wed 21 Mar 2018 14:51
{608}< 14947.936> recordTimerWakeupAuto True

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Wed Mar 21, 2018 18:38

Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 17:53
I set a padded instant recording of the current event. Then after about 1 minute I sent the T4 into shutdown via the Power / Restart menu. I got the usual recording in progress prompt and replied yes. The T4 shutdown as expected.
I watched for a few mins and didn't see the T4 spring back to life as has been reported here - okay then, that's fine as that's what I expected.
Who was saying that the T4 woke up after being shut down? I think I missed that bit?

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Wed Mar 21, 2018 18:55

MrQuade wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 18:38
Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 17:53
Who was saying that the T4 woke up after being shut down? I think I missed that bit?

Here -
geoffree wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 09:21
... Sometimes, the shutdown would appear to occur normally. (Completely blank front panel) but the machine would start up again within about a minute or so. (No recording would happen of course, because there was no recording set for that time)

Yep, I know, one needs a cut lunch and a water bag to get through some of the posts :lol:

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 21:28

prl wrote: I don't think you can get the "Recording(s) are in progress or coming up soon, or you are saving timeshift" message going into standby, no matter what sends you there.
Thanks. You're right Peter. I'm conflating two messages. That message would be due to a manual shutdown attempt. The other message I occasionally see is something like "A power timer is...".
Samsung QA65Q80TAWXXY 4K TV
Samsung HW Q800BXY soundbar
OverlayHD 1.70, IceTV, Foxtel IQ4
2 x Win7 PCs, 2 x Win10 PCs
Denon AVR -X2400H

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:33

Paul_oz53 wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 21:28
prl wrote: I don't think you can get the "Recording(s) are in progress or coming up soon, or you are saving timeshift" message going into standby, no matter what sends you there.
Thanks. You're right Peter. I'm conflating two messages. That message would be due to a manual shutdown attempt. The other message I occasionally see is something like "A power timer is...".

Yes, The power timer messages appear for any power timer actions that would interrupt viewing, including going into standby. For power timer actions that shut down the GUI (shutdown, reboot, restart GUI), you can then get the "Recording(s) are in progress ..." message if the shutdown would interrupt recordings, etc, and other messages if it would interrupt timeshifted viewing or tasks.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

geoffree
Master

Post by geoffree » Thu Mar 22, 2018 23:58

just letting you know I have not had time to pursue some of your tasks. Will do ASAP.

I understand the cut lunch reference, but I wanted to give you as much info as possible, straight up,
even though typing everything out is the worst possible way to do this. talking on the phone would be much easier and faster!
(I have worked in IT support.
Nothing is worse than the absurdly brief and useless, "It doesn't work when I push the button after I open the window" sort of support request. AAARGH!)

gb

geoffree
Master

Post by geoffree » Thu Apr 26, 2018 14:53

G'day all,
it's been a while, but I just let you know that the U4 now seems to be behaving normally.
As it was an intermittent issue, I really wanted to be sure of what was happening and that meant time. (And then again there was Easter)
I have not had one of those "recordings are in progress" type messages on the U4 for a long time.
The only variable would seem to be that I did turn off those HTTP settings that someone had mentioned in a previous post.
I might turn them back on one day and see what happens. But maybe not. As Mum used to say "it will never get well if your pick it!

I am mainly using the old T3, where this problem first started, as a backup playback only unit
so I haven't done a comparison test yet.
(The T3 showed this problem from day one out-of-the-box and we never fixed it.)

As the U4 seems to be behaving normally, at least with this issue,
(I have another weird one with the remote not working-but I'll start a new thread for that)
I think the best thing might be to just quietly back away from this one..... sshh!

As always thank you for your attention to the whole issue.

Geoffrey

geoffree
Master

Post by geoffree » Fri Mar 15, 2019 15:17

G'day all.
Unfortunately, the issue with the U4 (as described above) has started up again, specifically since the recent update.

Summary: U4 will not shut down if the user has navigated to any of the menus during or after a recording has commenced or finished. The 'recordings are in progress' etc with yes/no option message appears with any manual attempt to shut down.
If the U4 tries to shut itself down, the same message appears, and dissapears after a while and the U4 just stays in an 'on' state
The unit will start, record and shut down correctly, obeying the shutdpown timer, IF the user has not interacted with the U4 in any way.
Rebooting the GUI 'fixes' the problem.

I followed advice on these forums that it was safe to do an online update and restore settings,
and the issue started happening immediately. (none of my settings had changed before during or after this period)

I then did a clean reinstall of the update WITHOUT restoring settings, but the issue continues.

After years of having this problem with the T3, (it was never fixed/resolved),
I am fearful I may be stuck with a malfunctioning U4 now.
Are there any fresh thoughts out there?
Thank You

Geoffrey

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Fri Mar 15, 2019 15:31

geoffree wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 15:17
I then did a clean reinstall of the update WITHOUT restoring settings, but the issue continues.

After years of having this problem with the T3, (it was never fixed/resolved),
I am fearful I may be stuck with a malfunctioning U4 now.
Are there any fresh thoughts out there?
Can you suggest some setting that you are manually changing after the fresh install that might have been causing this then? Some unusual plugin that you're using perhaps?

If you were having the same issue on the T3 then it suggests that it is something you are setting or doing (and is a feature that not many people use) that is causing this.

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Fri Mar 15, 2019 15:52

Are you are in timeshift (i.e. behind the live position of TV) when this happens?

I agree with MrQuade in thinking this is a settings, or perhaps a behavioural issue.
Perhaps grab your setting with the below URL, copy/paste them into a text file, edit out any personal info, and attach the file.
http://beyonwizu4/api/settings

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri Mar 15, 2019 16:05

geoffree wrote:
Summary: U4 will not shut down if the user has navigated to any of the menus during or after a recording has commenced or finished. The 'recordings are in progress' etc with yes/no option message appears with any manual attempt to shut down.
If the U4 tries to shut itself down, the same message appears, and dissapears after a while and the U4 just stays in an 'on' state
The unit will start, record and shut down correctly, obeying the shutdpown timer, IF the user has not interacted with the U4 in any way.
Rebooting the GUI 'fixes' the problem.

You're describing intended behaviour. Do you want the PVR asking to shut down when you're in the middle of using it? That's the intention behind testing for whether any remote control buttons have been used (not whether you've entered any menus) since the recording started.

I'm not sure exactly what your setup is, but it sounds like you're shutting down with long-Power>Shutdown. If you normally go to shutdown when the PVR is not in use, I recommend changing short-POWER to be Immediate shutdown. Then, if you are recording when you short-press POWER, the PVR will go to standby to complete the recording, and then shut down when the recording completes. The power button settings are in MENU>Setup>System>Button settings.

There are problems with how this is handled, for example, if you shut down in the way I describe, and then start up again while the recordings are being made, the PVR will ask to shut down when the recordings finish.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

geoffree
Master

Post by geoffree » Fri Mar 15, 2019 17:02

Thanks for your response Peter,
but I think you may not understand what I'm getting at here.
The problem I am having is definitely not intended behaviour.
Yes we don't want the machine shutting down spontaneously while it's recording. That's not what I'm talking about.

What I'm talking about here, is that whenever you try to shut the machine down manually, no matter what button has been assigned to this function, you end up seeing this message IF the machine has recorded something . The only way to fix it is to reboot the GUI, and then you can hit the shutdown buttons on the machine will shut down. I usually use short power button-immediate shutdown. Shutting down through the power menu, makes no distant difference nor does using the long shutdown, after years of testing this, I'm not convinced that it's got anything to do with which buttons do what on the remote.

But the most annoying thing is, that if the machine has made a recording, and that recording has completed it does not shut down
IF the user has used the remote or done any file navigation. If the user has not had any interaction with the unit, it will shut down properly.
When trying to shut down manually, and receiving the message, if I reboot the GUI, it then shuts down normally
I know this doesn't make sense!
But over the course of about 3 years, with my old T3, I was able to explore all sorts of options here, and test a multitude of situations.
I was able to recreate absolutely consistently, all the situations I describe above.

And by the way I should add, that the U4 has been behaving absolutely as it should, for many many months now, after having shown this problem for a while when I first bought it.
The normal behaviour I expect is, that if the machine has woken up to do a recording, and completes that recording, and I have been watching something else in the interim, and then choose to shut down the machine after that recording is finished, it should go straight to shut down.
That is exactly what it had been doing for months. But it isn't doing that now, and this has happened since the recent update.

As I described in some of my many posts on this topic a long time ago now, I even went as far as speaking to the IceTV people to see if it was anything to do with their app. The description given to me was "it sounds as if a completed recording timer is remaining active on your system behind the scenes" that may not be a technical description, but it does describe what seems to be happening here. It does not explain however, why using the remote to navigate through menus, makes the problem occur.

2 conditions make the problem happen. 1. The machine has recently completed a recording 2. The user has interacted with the machine
during the recording, or after it has completed
Both conditions must be met for the problem to occur.
Meaning, booting up the machine and watching something, (no recording) is fine. You can shutdown normally.
If the machine boots itself up to do a recording, with no user interaction, it will shut down normally.

Thanks for writing, I know this is a difficult situation, and we never really got a solution to it at all.
I understand that it doesn't make sense, but I can assure you, that over about 3 years I troubleshooted the problem with my T3 for many many many hours, and as I said I was able to test the conditions required to make this happen over and over again and it was absolutely consistent
thanks again
Geoffrey

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Fri Mar 15, 2019 17:13

Does the Wiz need to have booted from Deep standby for a timer recording or can you trigger it any time?

ie.
Reboot the U4.

Create a timer recording of 1 minute duration.
Wait for the recording to finish and the timer to expire.
Shut down the U4.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri Mar 15, 2019 17:42

geoffree wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 17:02
As I described in some of my many posts on this topic a long time ago now, I even went as far as speaking to the IceTV people to see if it was anything to do with their app.

"Their app" is Beyonwiz's app (which works with their server). Peteru wrote it and I do most of the maintenance. If Daniel Hall @ IceTV gets out-of-the ordinary questions about the app, he usually forwards them to me :)
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri Mar 15, 2019 18:04

MrQuade wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 17:13
Does the Wiz need to have booted from Deep standby for a timer recording or can you trigger it any time?

ie.
Reboot the U4.

Create a timer recording of 1 minute duration.
Wait for the recording to finish and the timer to expire.
Shut down the U4.

That doesn't trigger any problems with shutdown, either using an ordinary timer or using an instant recording timer.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Fri Mar 15, 2019 18:11

prl wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 18:04
That doesn't trigger any problems with shutdown, either using an ordinary timer or using an instant recording timer.
I know that it doesn't for most everyone else. I want to know what it does for geoffree.
His description of the issue and steps to replicate is not specific enough.

The scenario I described fits the conditions he outlined, and as you point out, I can't see how a problem could occur.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri Mar 15, 2019 18:18

geoffree wrote:
2 conditions make the problem happen. 1. The machine has recently completed a recording 2. The user has interacted with the machine

That doesn't seem to be enough to cause the problem. I rebooted, created a short recording timer on a T4, interacted with the T4 while the timer was running, waited for the timer to finish, interacted with the PVR again, and pressed short-POWER for Immediate shutdown. The T4 shut down immediately.

The same when I did the same process, but made an instant recording instead of a normal timer recording.

Are their other conditions that need to be met to make the bug occur? E.g. does the recording timer in question have to have started the BPVR from standby?

I tested on firmware 20190207. Your sceenshot shows you running 20180216. Are you still running that firmware?

If you are, and even if the bug can be demonstrated for that firmware, the bug won't be fixed on that firmware. Any fix will be an update to the current firmware 20190207, if the bug can be demonstrated in that firmware.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

geoffree
Master

Post by geoffree » Fri Mar 15, 2019 18:20

Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 15:52
Are you are in timeshift (i.e. behind the live position of TV) when this happens?
Thanks MrQuade I am pretty sure I am not in time shift. it was the first thing I checked

thank you

Geoffrey

geoffree
Master

Post by geoffree » Fri Mar 15, 2019 18:27

prl wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 18:18
geoffree wrote:

That doesn't seem to be enough to cause the problem. I rebooted, created a short recording timer on a T4, interacted with the T4 while the timer was running, waited for the timer to finish, interacted with the PVR again, and pressed short-POWER for Immediate shutdown. The T4 shut down immediately.

The same when I did the same process, but made an instant recording instead of a normal timer recording.

Are their other conditions that need to be met to make the bug occur? E.g. does the recording timer in question have to have started the BPVR from standby?

I tested on firmware 20190207. Your sceenshot shows you running 20180216. Are you still running that firmware?

If you are, and even if the bug can be demonstrated for that firmware, the bug won't be fixed on that firmware. Any fix will be an update to the current firmware 20190207, if the bug can be demonstrated in that firmware.
The screenshot is from a long time ago. Firmware has been kept up to date. The problem started with the recent update .
Before then, my U4 would have done exactly what yours did. as described above
re starting up from standby. Most of my recording occurs from a shut down state (while Im away) . BUT, I have tested with recordings starting while the unit is already on and the problem still occurs . It meets the 2 conditions I mentioned
thank you
gb

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Fri Mar 15, 2019 18:31

geoffree wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 18:27
BUT, I have tested with recordings starting while the unit is already on and the problem still occurs . It meets the 2 conditions I mentioned
thank you
That is still a bit ambiguous. Can you PLEASE confirm if when you follow the steps exactly that the problem occurs.

With no timers set to fire.
Reboot first (very important, as we know the Wiz is now in a "neutral" state with no other conditions affecting it)
Then create your timer.
Wait for the recording to finish.
Attempt to shut down.

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Fri Mar 15, 2019 19:06

geoffree wrote:

My U4 has been recording all day (F1/V8 Supercars). It booted for the timer (I confirmed this by viewing /tmp/was_timer_wakeup to ensure I wasn't mistaken).
I've used the U4 whilst it was recording. When the recording finished, I was still chase playing the recording. When I stopped chase playing and went back to live TV, I pressed long-POWER, tied to Immediate shutdown, and the U4 shutdown to deep standby as described on the tin.

geoffree
Master

Post by geoffree » Fri Mar 15, 2019 19:14

Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 15:52

I agree with MrQuade in thinking this is a settings, or perhaps a behavioural issue.
Perhaps grab your setting with the below URL, copy/paste them into a text file, edit out any personal info, and attach the file.
http://beyonwizu4/api/settings
as requested
gb U4 settings.txt
(5.18 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
Attachments
gb U4 settings.txt
(5.18 KiB) Downloaded 22 times

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Fri Mar 15, 2019 19:25

Most likely not related, but why do you stop timeshift during recording?

geoffree
Master

Post by geoffree » Fri Mar 15, 2019 19:36

Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 19:06
geoffree wrote:

My U4 has been recording all day (F1/V8 Supercars). It booted for the timer (I confirmed this by viewing /tmp/was_timer_wakeup to ensure I wasn't mistaken).
I've used the U4 whilst it was recording. When the recording finished, I was still chase playing the recording. When I stopped chase playing and went back to live TV, I pressed long-POWER, tied to Immediate shutdown, and the U4 shutdown to deep standby as described on the tin.
Thanks Grumpy Geoff.
That is exactly what my U4 would have done ---- until the update!
I don't expect anybody else's' machine to be able to recreate this issue. Noone could before when the issue arose on my T3
It is clearly specific to my machine. In all the months we talked on this thread, no one else came up with the same behavior - I think there was one use user who was close, but not the same
That's why it is so difficult to 'cure'
gb

geoffree
Master

Post by geoffree » Fri Mar 15, 2019 19:55

MrQuade wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 19:25
Most likely not related, but why do you stop timeshift during recording?
Thanks MrQuade.
I was aware of time shifting being a possible reason for all of this so I had gone into the settings and stopped anything that looked like it might be 'encouraging' the machine to do time shifting in the background as the error message that pops on attempted shutdown suggests.
I know very little about time shifting, never use it, so don't understand the settings much.
The stop timeshifting during recordings looked like the right thing to do, I guess... Should I turn it on again?
The issue appeared straight after the update attempts. First time: restoring settings from backup as advised by postings on this forum - the issue appeared then. I then did a 2nd attempt - a clean install, hoping that might clear the problem - I did not restore settings backup, I made no adjustments to default settings but the issue persisted. I have tinkered with the settings since then,, as you can see, but to no avail.

I remember trying all of this during T3 testing a long time ago - once again to no avail;.
Time shifting settings don't appear to affect the behaviour of this issue
gb

geoffree
Master

Post by geoffree » Fri Mar 15, 2019 20:01

MrQuade wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 18:31
geoffree wrote:
BUT, I have tested with recordings starting while the unit is already on and the problem still occurs . It meets the 2 conditions I mentioned
thank you
That is still a bit ambiguous. Can you PLEASE confirm if when you follow the steps exactly that the problem occurs.

Reboot first (very important, as we know the Wiz is now in a "neutral" state with no other conditions affecting it)
Then create your timer.
Attempt to shut down.
Thanks MrQuade,
As I said, I will attempt this test tomorrow AM when the machine is free and not dealing with any preexisting timers.
I just posted the above comment in the interim. Sorry.
Thanks, Geoffrey

geoffree
Master

Post by geoffree » Sat Mar 16, 2019 09:09

geoffree wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 20:01
MrQuade wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 18:31
geoffree wrote:
thank you

Then create your timer.
Attempt to shut down.
Thanks MrQuade,
As I said, I will attempt this test tomorrow AM when the machine is free and not dealing with any preexisting timers.
I just posted the above comment in the interim. Sorry.
Thanks, Geoffrey
Gday,
Just attempted the test as you described.
After clean bootup, created a one minute timer (choosing deep standby as the after action)
After the recording finished, the "a finished timer wants to shutdown your Beyonwiz U4" etc appeared with a timer countdown and a yes/no option. I believe this is normal behavior.
I decided to let the countdown run out, and the then the problem message appeared and hung there.
("Recordings are in progress or coming up soon or you are saving timeshift. Really shutdown now?" with yes/no option button.

My experience is that this message must go away after a while and the machine defaults to a normal 'on' status.
because since the update, If I have watched something late at night before bed, for instance, and a recording starts while i'm doing that, (creating the 2 conditions that cause this problem) I go to bed while the U4 is still recording,
When I wake up it is sitting there in an 'on' state.
If I try to shut it down I get the "recordings are in progress" message again. - if I restart the Gui I can shut it down normally.

BTW I currently have ONE power timer in place (Auto Deep standby with a delay of 60 minutes. NO option for 'only active in standby')
This is the timer I normally use, and until the update the U4 would shutdown after recording, even if I had been watching something while recording. The power timer would kick in after 60 mins and shutdown the unit as it should.

Just repeated the test. same result
Thank you for the suggestion
Geoffrey

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:44

geoffree wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 09:09
After clean bootup, created a one minute timer (choosing deep standby as the after action)
After the recording finished, the "a finished timer wants to shutdown your Beyonwiz U4" etc appeared with a timer countdown and a yes/no option. I believe this is normal behavior.
I decided to let the countdown run out, and the then the problem message appeared and hung there.
("Recordings are in progress or coming up soon or you are saving timeshift. Really shutdown now?" with yes/no option button.
BTW I currently have ONE power timer in place (Auto Deep standby with a delay of 60 minutes. NO option for 'only active in standby')
This is the timer I normally use, and until the update the U4 would shutdown after recording, even if I had been watching something while recording. The power timer would kick in after 60 mins and shutdown the unit as it should.

I tried to simulate your test. On my U4, I created a repeating Auto Deep Standby Power Timer with a 60 mins delay. I then rebooted the U4.
I then created a 2-min recording timer set for a few mins time with a deep standby after event action. I left the U4 playing live TV, and waited for the timer to start (observed via front panel).
Using adoxa's Current Timers plugin I could see the remaining time left, and when it had 5 secs to go I exited the plugin display.
The U4 then soon chucked up the "A finished record timer wants to shut down...", counted down its time, and then shut down to deep standby; as it should've.
geoffree wrote:

So, which of the three "problem message" conditions is/are true?
Are you still recording?
Do you have a timer due in the next 15(?) mins?
Are you saving timeshift?
geoffree wrote:
My experience is that this message must go away after a while and the machine defaults to a normal 'on' status.
because since the update, If I have watched something late at night before bed, for instance, and a recording starts while i'm doing that, (creating the 2 conditions that cause this problem) I go to bed while the U4 is still recording,

Why wouldn't it be in the 'on' state? Isn't that the state you left it in? You use IceTV, so the timers will have 'Auto' as the after event action. The U4 was on when the recording timer started, so that'll be the state the box'll be left in. If you want it to shut down to deep standby at the conclusion of the recording activity, take either of these actions:
  • alter the timer with the latest finishing time and set its after event action to go to deep standby, or
  • tie Immediate shutdown button action to either of long/short POWER and press that associated button.
geoffree wrote:
If I try to shut it down I get the "recordings are in progress" message again. - if I restart the Gui I can shut it down normally.

So again, which of the three conditions is true?
Press REC and see what it reports. Does it state recordings are in progress, or that time shift is being saved?

geoffree
Master

Post by geoffree » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:28

Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:44
geoffree wrote:

I tried to simulate your test. On my U4, I created a repeating Auto Deep Standby Power Timer with a 60 mins delay. I then rebooted the U4.
I then created a 2-min recording timer set for a few mins time with a deep standby after event action. I left the U4 playing live TV, and waited for the timer to start (observed via front panel).
Using adoxa's Current Timers plugin I could see the remaining time left, and when it had 5 secs to go I exited the plugin display.
The U4 then soon chucked up the "A finished record timer wants to shut down...", counted down its time, and then shut down to deep standby; as it should've.
geoffree wrote:

So, which of the three "problem message" conditions is/are true?
Are you still recording?
Do you have a timer due in the next 15(?) mins?
Are you saving timeshift?
geoffree wrote:

Why wouldn't it be in the 'on' state? Isn't that the state you left it in? You use IceTV, so the timers will have 'Auto' as the after event action. The U4 was on when the recording timer started, so that'll be the state the box'll be left in. If you want it to shut down to deep standby at the conclusion of the recording activity, take either of these actions:
  • alter the timer with the latest finishing time and set its after event action to go to deep standby, or
  • tie Immediate shutdown button action to either of long/short POWER and press that associated button.
geoffree wrote:

So again, which of the three conditions is true?
Press REC and see what it reports. Does it state recordings are in progress, or that time shift is being saved?
I would expect your test to be ok as it was, I'm sure this problem is not common or else the forum would be full of posts about it!
re the conditions: no to all
NO to still recording
NO to timer coming up soon
NO to time shift happening

The conditions that make this problem occur are:
1. the U4 must have made a recording
2. The user has interacted with the U4 in some way. during the recording or after it has finished.
The issue DOES NOT happen if either of these conditions don't occur.

ie. Completely unattended recordings - the U4 boots up does the recording and shuts down.
If I boot the U4 up to watch something - no recordings happening - I can shut down fine after viewing.

re your question about 'why wouldn't it be in on state'?
It used to shut down after recording (if unattended, meaning I wasn't watching something)
It obeyed the shut down timer I had in place,
I have never had to adjust the settings in any of the Ice TV timers to get the machine to do this......... until this update happened
After it had finished recording it would eventually shut down. Manual shut down was fine too. long or short button.
Now, Pressing the long or short power buttons produces the problem message if the unit has completed a recording AND there has been
interaction from the user.

The unit will boot up do an Icetv recording and shut down automatically afterwards, obeying the power timer i have in place 'Deep standby'
ie behave normally, IF there has been NO user interaction.

I know this doesn't make sense but I have tested this over and over again on my old T3 and now on the U4
I spent many hours with the T3 trying different sequences and was able to prove these patterns above.
I'm now getting the same results with the U4 after the update

thank you for reading
Geoffrey

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Sat Mar 16, 2019 13:09

geoffree wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:28
...I know this doesn't make sense but I have tested this over and over again on my old T3 and now on the U4
I spent many hours with the T3 trying different sequences and was able to prove these patterns above.
I'm now getting the same results with the U4 after the update

There's no problem for me, nor anyone else as far as I can tell. So where does that leave us - a problem unique to both your T3 and U4?

What happens if you factory reset, then just scan via the startup wizard, and then do no further setup.
Create the test as per previous. Record your button-by-button presses so this can be recreated by someone to see if the exact same conditions with default settings give rise to the same outcome.

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Sat Mar 16, 2019 13:27

Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 13:09
What happens if you factory reset, then just scan via the startup wizard, and then do no further setup.

I'd go one step further and instead of factory reset, do a clean USB installation of 17.5-20190207 firmware.

Also, test by disconnecting the Ethernet cable and rebooting. Let's see if there's perhaps something on the network that is preventing the reboot.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

geoffree
Master

Post by geoffree » Sat Mar 16, 2019 13:52

peteru wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 13:27
Grumpy_Geoff wrote:

I'd go one step further and instead of factory reset, do a clean USB installation of 17.5-20190207 firmware.

Also, test by disconnecting the Ethernet cable and rebooting. Let's see if there's perhaps something on the network that is preventing the reboot.
Thanks, as I had mentioned I did try a completely clean reinstall of that update.
I have not tried removing network cable
I will do that when i can
gb

geoffree
Master

Post by geoffree » Sat Mar 16, 2019 15:22

peteru wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 13:27
Grumpy_Geoff wrote:

We may be getting somewhere! (by the way - I remember trying this with the T3 - it didn't work but lets forget that for now!)
I did a reset - (Firmware was showing as the most recent)
Did not do the firmware update again. thought I would test it first as is. left network cable plugged in

The one minute recording test went fine! U4 obeyed the 'go to deep standby command' set in the recording and after the timer had run out
it shut down normally. Hallelujah!

SO, to start to isolate what's causing the problem, I enabled Icetv to see if it might be the 'cause'
The same one minute test went fine! So that suggests that Icetv is not the culprit.
This of course pointed the spotlight to 'Settings' which i have not touched yet from their default state.

To test that, I restored my settings from before and this time the problem error message appeared after the one minute test.
So I think we can assume the trigger is somewhere in those settings.
(I think am safe to assume that due to the above test with restoring settings ??)

I redid the factory reset process, the minute recording test went fine
installed Icetv - recording test ok
(I like to test any fix I find at least twice to be sure)

So, in looking to gingerly redo some settings
Which ones would you suggest I avoid touching for the time being?
Which settings are most likely to cause this sort of issue?

My plan is to recreate my personalized settings section by section - testing with one minute recordings as i go,
as I'd like to isolate where the problem is

Thank you for the system reset suggestion! (as it had failed with the T3) I did not think to attempt it here.
Thank you all! Glad you suggested it
Geoffrey

gb

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat Mar 16, 2019 15:28

geoffree wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 19:36
I don't expect anybody else's' machine to be able to recreate this issue. Noone could before when the issue arose on my T3
It is clearly specific to my machine. In all the months we talked on this thread, no one else came up with the same behavior - I think there was one use user who was close, but not the same
That's why it is so difficult to 'cure'

Yes, if no-one can replicate the problem, then it makes it very difficult to debug.

No-one has been able to replicate the behaviour you describe from the instructions you gave. When I tested, I assumed that you had "After event" set to "auto", the default, and what IceTV timers default to.

Then you posted a modified test setup with "After event" set to "go to deep standby", which would have very different expected behaviour, and I'm not sure why you wanted us to test that.

Could you confirm that you're running firmware version 20190207, or if not, the firmware version you are running?

And could you please try to post a set of instructions to replicate the problem you reported of not being able to shut down normally after recordings have stopped. There must be something missing in the instructions you have previously posted.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Sat Mar 16, 2019 15:31

It has to be one of his settings. I think it might be best to wait until he has reinstated then one at a time and see where it breaks.

Return to “General Topics”