Cannot find my PC from the BeyonWiz

PC, Mac and Linux Networking Hints and Tips.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

Gully

Cannot find my PC from the BeyonWiz

Post by Gully » Fri Dec 07, 2007 18:07

No idea what has happened but I tried to go into a shared folder from the BW while the PC wasn't quite ready so I got the cannot find and dismiss button and lost the folder.

First thought, perhaps the wrong one, was to Clear PC and then Scan but nothing was found!

I think I have tried everything (well except for the one successful choice) but any ideas please.

In the end I did a factory reset on the BW

I can ping the BW and WizFX sees it.

Same Username and Password as before.

Not using DHCP but all the IPs etc should be right

Help!!

EDIT: IceTV is fine too.
Cheers
Gully

brianh
Wizard

Post by brianh » Fri Dec 07, 2007 18:33

I don't know what sort of help you expect, Gully. Usually when anyone has a problem you are one of the first to the rescue...... you are going to frighten people away if you have problems that even you can't fix.... :D
Cheers,
Brian

1) 2 x T4, Samsung UA46C7000/Yamaha RX-V6A
2) Spare DP-P2s/ Samsung UA46C6900/Sony STR-DE497/RX-V540
Harmony 650 + all the spare remotes.....

Marina_Z
Apprentice

Post by Marina_Z » Fri Dec 07, 2007 19:04

Hi Gully,
You've probably tried this already but just in case you haven't : I find that sometimes turning off everything on the network and then back on help the devices to find each other. In my case it's only my PC, the BWiz and my modem/router. I also make sure the BWiz is turned on last, when the PC and the modem/router are already "talking".
Hope you resolve your problem soon. :D

Gully

Post by Gully » Fri Dec 07, 2007 19:13

brianh wrote:I don't know what sort of help you expect, Gully. Usually when anyone has a problem you are one of the first to the rescue...... you are going to frighten people away if you have problems that even you can't fix.... :D
With a complement at the heart of that, I don't know what to say - other than your not much help! :D

I had a similar experience the first time I set up the network but no idea what I did that time.

And thanks, Marina, tried a few similar combinations but no joy.

The computer can obviously see the BW, and the BW can see the router but not the computer!.
Cheers
Gully

brianh
Wizard

Post by brianh » Fri Dec 07, 2007 22:00

Gully wrote:
brianh wrote:I don't know what sort of help you expect, Gully. Usually when anyone has a problem you are one of the first to the rescue...... you are going to frighten people away if you have problems that even you can't fix.... :D
With a complement at the heart of that, I don't know what to say - other than your not much help! :D .
Heh, heh........definitely a compliment, also just creating a distraction (not very successfully!!) from the fact that I haven't much of an idea myself..... :)
Gully wrote: I had a similar experience the first time I set up the network but no idea what I did that time.

The computer can obviously see the BW, and the BW can see the router but not the computer!.
Given that you've had this before, could it be FW version related? i.e. would rolling back a version or so help? Is it Sharing-related? - maybe you have to re-setup sharing on your folders, so that it re-establishes recognition? (you can probably tell I'm frantically clutching at straws to save face now... :( )
Cheers,
Brian

1) 2 x T4, Samsung UA46C7000/Yamaha RX-V6A
2) Spare DP-P2s/ Samsung UA46C6900/Sony STR-DE497/RX-V540
Harmony 650 + all the spare remotes.....

Gully

Post by Gully » Fri Dec 07, 2007 22:18

One of the first things I did was roll back the firmware but no difference.

Just tried adding a new folder as a share but that didn't help.

Totally bizarre.
Cheers
Gully

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Sat Dec 08, 2007 09:04

Hi Gully,

Have you confirmed that the PC is, in fact, sharing files and that the shares are accessable to the Beyonwiz?

Have there been any firewall changes in recent times on your network?

You said that IceTV was working so I assume that all the network cables are connected and working OK.

You also said WizFX is working so that implies that the PC can see and interact with the Beyonwiz?

So at the moment, the only issue is that you can't browse your network to see your PC shares from the Beyonwiz? Is that correct?

Regards,
Ian.

Gully

Post by Gully » Sat Dec 08, 2007 09:56

Hi Ian
IanSav wrote:Hi Gully,

Have you confirmed that the PC is, in fact, sharing files and that the shares are accessable to the Beyonwiz?
Not quite sure how to do that. The folders are all still marked as shares and I haven't changed anything on the PC.
Have there been any firewall changes in recent times on your network?
None. And I have tried it with the firewall turned off.
You said that IceTV was working so I assume that all the network cables are connected and working OK.

You also said WizFX is working so that implies that the PC can see and interact with the Beyonwiz?
Both correct
So at the moment, the only issue is that you can't browse your network to see your PC shares from the Beyonwiz? Is that correct?
Yes, though more correctly, I cannot even find the PC from my BW.
Cheers
Gully

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:00

Hi Gully,

How many PCs are on your network?

I wonder if there is only one if that PC is currently offering a Network Browser service. Does the network on your PC show the worgroup name and any/all PCs in the workgroup?

Regards,
Ian.

Gully

Post by Gully » Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:04

Just the one computer, and just one showing in the workgroup.
Cheers
Gully

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:09

Hi Gully,

Do you have a copy of BROWSTAT.EXE somewhere? If so, run a status report on your network.

(Would this be easier if I gave you a call?)

Regards,
Ian.

Gully

Post by Gully » Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:37

Hi Ian

I don't have it but I can search and download it.

If you have the time for a call thanks.
Cheers
Gully

Gully

Post by Gully » Mon Dec 10, 2007 21:04

Back and all working again.

Set up on a new partition with just the NVIDEA drivers and renamed the computer name to match the other original partition.

Made sure all the drive letters matched, and shared the same folders.

And scanned on the BW with total success.

When I switched back, I did get an error message about Guest Access, which I figure was due to having the Guest Account still on on the new install.

Turning it on on the original, gave me full access, and having done that one, I turned off the Guest account and it still works!

So if I had got rid of the Guest account on the new install I might have even missed that slight hiccup.

Thanks to all those who took the time to help.
Cheers
Gully

Bigsime01
Apprentice

Re: Cannot find my PC from the BeyonWiz

Post by Bigsime01 » Tue Jun 01, 2021 22:20

Hi Gully,
I know this is an old thread, but I have had the same problem, the first time it happened, the PC would only connect to one device at a time, and was usualy locked to one of my U4's,
So I fixed it by changing a value in my PC's registry and it was fixed.
But this time all devices can see my PC accept this U4.

I wanted to ask about your final post about the partition, was that on your pc or bw.
Because it talks to all devices, phones tablets and one of my U4's, feeling like the problem is in the BW U4.
I have changed the name of my pc and spent many hours cycling through the pc's communicafion proticals, and resetting workgroups, including factory reset of bw, with no success.

If you have any suggestions, I would love to hear your thoughts.
2x DP-S1 F/V 1-5-350
1x FV-L1 F/V 1-7-077
2× U4 F/V current
Optus fast nbn modem router
PC Asus Quad core 3Ghz 8gig ram

Gully

Re: Cannot find my PC from the BeyonWiz

Post by Gully » Tue Jun 01, 2021 22:44

Bigsime01 wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 22:20
I wanted to ask about your final post about the partition, was that on your pc or bw.
Because it talks to all devices, phones tablets and one of my U4's, feeling like the problem is in the BW U4.
I have changed the name of my pc and spent many hours cycling through the pc's communicafion proticals, and resetting workgroups, including factory reset of bw, with no success.

If you have any suggestions, I would love to hear your thoughts.
You are trawling back in history but reading my post (14 years!), it is definitely on the PC.

Have you checked the Advanced Network settings on your PC? Mine recently updated to a newer version and then decided not to talk to my U4. Turns out it had defaulted back to old settings that didn't let it work. Once I let my PC show itself to the network again it was fine.
Cheers
Gully

Return to “Networking your Beyonwiz DP Series”