Frozen U4

Moderators: Gully, peteru

Stephen Hughes

Frozen U4

Post by Stephen Hughes » Tue Aug 09, 2022 16:53

I left my U4 on all night last week and when I tried to turn it off it was frozen. Powering it off and back on didn't heip. The screen comes on with the Beyonwiz logo but the box screen just says booting... and nothing else happens.
I have tried to upgrade to the most recent version of the U4 software but the same thing happens. It just gets stuck at the booting... stage.
I have tried restarting it from the web interface but to no avail.
Can anyone help?

Finally, if I can't fix it is there any use boxing it up and sending it back to Beyonwiz for repairs? Ive tried contacting them 4 or 5 times over the last few months but have never got a reply. Are they actually still in business?

Regards

Stephen Hughes

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Re: Frozen U4

Post by MrQuade » Tue Aug 09, 2022 17:28

Stephen Hughes wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 16:53
I left my U4 on all night last week and when I tried to turn it off it was frozen. Powering it off and back on didn't heip. The screen comes on with the Beyonwiz logo but the box screen just says booting... and nothing else happens.
I have tried to upgrade to the most recent version of the U4 software but the same thing happens. It just gets stuck at the booting... stage.
Do you mean that you can't initiate the installation process? Or do you mean that you can complete the installation, but the U4 still won't boot after that?

I am assuming the former.

Are you using a USB stick that has been used for updates before? ie. is it proven to be a working one?
You need to make sure that the USB disk is formatted as FAT32.
You should also make sure that you unplug the U4's USB tuner during the update (if you are using one).
You should also ensure that the firmware update file has been correctly unzipped onto the USB stick such that there is a "beyonwiz" folder in the root directory of the disk, and under that, there is a "u4" folder that contains all the update files.

Stephen Hughes wrote:
I have tried restarting it from the web interface but to no avail.
What does this mean? Were you able to bring up the web interface?
Again, my assumption is that the web interface is not/was not operating.
Stephen Hughes wrote:
Finally, if I can't fix it is there any use boxing it up and sending it back to Beyonwiz for repairs? Ive tried contacting them 4 or 5 times over the last few months but have never got a reply. Are they actually still in business?
Still in business, but they seem to be very hard to contact for anything other than new sales.
I don't know that anyone quite knows what is going on exactly.
Last edited by MrQuade on Tue Aug 09, 2022 23:15, edited 1 time in total.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Aug 09, 2022 22:27

MrQuade wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 17:28
You should also ensure that the firmware update file has been correctly unzipped onto the USB stick such that there is a "beyonwiz" folder in the root directory of the disk, and under that, there is a "usb" folder that contains all the update files.

such that there is a "beyonwiz" folder in the root directory of the disk, and under that, there is a "u4" folder that contains all the update files
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Tue Aug 09, 2022 23:14

prl wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 22:27
such that there is a "beyonwiz" folder in the root directory of the disk, and under that, there is a "u4" folder that contains all the update files
Whoops, yes! brain disengaged while I was typing that. I even checked!
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

IanL-S
Master

Post by IanL-S » Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:41

There is a report on the IceTV by the MD that Beyonwiz is having difficulty geting supplies form the OEM. Not an unusual situation these days. The V2 has been out of stock a while now. Not sure about the spare parts situation.

Ian
Enjoying an active retirement "playing" with my Toppys and now Beyonwiz.
T2, U4 and V2 controlled by IceTV
Various Toppys including TRF-2400, TRF-5300 and TF7100HDPVRt Plus
For help with your Toppy checkout the oztoppy forum and the oztoppy wiki.

Return to “Bug Reporting and Feature Requests”