Installing openATV on a V2

Moderators: Gully, peteru

PedroDePacus
Apprentice

Installing openATV on a V2

Post by PedroDePacus » Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:20

It's taken a couple of hours, so here is a simple break down for anyone who wants to give it a try.

I used this image
https://images.mynonpublic.com/openatv/ ... beyonwizv2
openatv-7.3-beyonwizv2-20240104_recovery_emmc.zip

The install from USB is about the same as the Beyonwiz, some steps are in a different order but basically the same.

Once up and running the biggest shock was it just sat at a launch screen with no menu / TV station displayed.
I thought the install was a failure, but after doing more setup in the menu it works correctly.

This was because it wasn't starting a station in a bouquet.
Once you set up a bouquet with only the stations you want it will start there like any other PVR.
As always I couldn't work out the in the interface how to do bouquets and had to make one in the web management page. The web page is exactly like the beyonwiz.

How everything works under the covers is the same, it's the interface I had trouble with, once used for a while it's OK, but not as good as the Beyonwiz original.

I got most of the extensions/plug ins downloaded from the repository, including Kodi

PROS
It's works with the same principals
It seems to use less resources, but that may be compared to an old install with lots of junk build up
I found nearly all the extensions
You get the current version of KODI (20) instead of 17

CONS
The interface, either the default or the custom that ships with it and is not attractive (subjective) and I find it harder to use. After a few hours you adapt.

So if your Beyonwiz has a problem and you reset it and miss some functionality, or you want a newer version of the OS since 2021 it's worth giving this a try.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's been a few days and I'm getting used to the new interface and I'm using the skin MetrixHD instead of the default.

The best thing I've found so far is the difference in back up, in the AUs beyonwiz menu there is a backup, but only backs up the settings, which didn't help me fix the problems. The openATV has the settings backup, but also a complete image backup. By checking the sizes it's capturing not just the base installation, but all the plugins / extensions.

The original image is 181MB and yesterdays full backup was 377MB, this could just be a different compression method for the files, or I'm hoping it's grabbing all the extra post install software / settings

Return to “OpenATV & Other 3rd Party Images”