Network mount doesn't work when Internet is down

Moderators: Gully, peteru

Ocelot
Apprentice

Network mount doesn't work when Internet is down

Post by Ocelot » Tue Aug 04, 2020 19:45

The internet went down a couple of times recently and both times my V2 was unable to access the network mount on my T4 while the Internet was down. I tested this manually to confirm - disconnecting from the Internet. When my V2 was powered on prior to losing the Internet connection everything worked fine. However, if my V2 was powered down, as it is most of the time, then when I boot it up I get a blank page when I attempt to bring up my list of recordings. The network mount appears to be working correctly, but I'm not certain. I can access both machines via my PC.

Since I use the V2 only to play recordings over the network from my T4 in another room, it appears to be unusable until the Internet comes back up. I don't know why it would need access to the Internet just to access a network mount. To make matters worse, even when the Internet does come back up it takes me ages of fiddling around and rebooting to finally get it working again. I haven't yet figured out just what it takes to get it back to normal each time.

Both my T4 and V2 are using firmware 19.3. Also, they are both assigned static IP addresses on my network.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Re: Network mount doesn't work when Internet is down

Post by MrQuade » Tue Aug 04, 2020 20:59

Having trouble putting a dinnyer on this one.

I've definitely come across networks that inexplicably go haywire when the WAN connection goes down and some local services on the gateway become unavailable when they really shouldn't. But this doesn't sound like that sort of problem. If you have static addresses assigned, then the router should have very little influence. That and the fact that the V2's SMB server sounds like it is working ok.

It sounds like it is just the mount prices that is failing despite the network being up. The only thing that springs to mind is that the V2 would be failing to get time from an NTP server, so that night somehow be blocking the mount connection. I know that this can be a problem in a domain scenario, bit not exactly sure if it's needed for a simple SMB2 share.

See if you can point the V2 to a local ntp time server and try again.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Wed Aug 05, 2020 13:52

I'm pretty sure that ntpdate failures would not cause anything like this.

Most likely scenario is that your modem/router fails to provide DNS services when the WAN connection is down. A good router would still provide local resolution and only fail lookups on external domains, but I suspect that many routers just give up on DNS when they lose connection to the external world.

My local network is configured to provide DNS resolution even in the case of Internet outage and I do not have any issues with local connectivity when WAN is down.

There are ways to investigate the root cause, but most will require that you have shell access to the Beyonwiz. You can start with netstat, nslookup/dig.

However, you may find that the proper fix is a better router, or at least a machine running something like dnsmasq to replace the router's DNS and DHCP services.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

Ocelot
Apprentice

Post by Ocelot » Wed Aug 05, 2020 13:57

Thanks MrQaude,

I checked the time settings and my V2 is set to sync the time from the TV broadcast and not an NTP server.

I have been experimenting a little more. When I boot my V2 it takes about 45 seconds to boot. When the internet is disconnected it takes about 80 seconds, pausing for a while at about 50%. If I just pull the ethernet cable and boot, it takes about 45 seconds as normal. In that case, as soon as I plug the cable back in it works fine.

Also, I have tried setting my router to block access to the WAN by my V2, yet my V2 still works fine so long as the WAN is up. So it seems it must be something to do with my network going inexplicably haywire when the WAN is down, as you mentioned, I guess? I mean, if both my V2 & T4 are blocked from accessing the WAN, then it shouldn't matter whether the WAN is down or not. I have a Billion 7800VDOX in case anyone knows of any relevant issues. It's quite a few years old now, but has served me well.

Ocelot
Apprentice

Post by Ocelot » Wed Aug 05, 2020 14:03

Thanks peteru,

I think you may be right. My router uses an external DNS server and I'm not sure if it can be configured to provide DNS resolution in the case of Internet outage. Networking is not my strong point, but I'll look into it some more.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Wed Aug 05, 2020 14:04

Ocelot wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 13:57
I have a Billion 7800VDOX in case anyone knows of any relevant issues. It's quite a few years old now, but has served me well.
Funny you should mention that. I used to have a Billion 7800VDOX and that was when I had those sorts of problems when the internet went down. I'm going to point by finger at that.

For reference, I updated to a ASUS rt-ac86u and it's fantastic. If you want to go fancier, then the rt-ax88u is even newer (not the rt-ac88u, different beast and not as good). No modem included so you'll need to bridge your existing modem.
peteru wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 13:52
ost likely scenario is that your modem/router fails to provide DNS services when the WAN connection is down. A good router would still provide local resolution and only fail lookups on external domains, but I suspect that many routers just give up on DNS when they lose connection to the external world.
However, still not sure why loss of DNS would cause bonus to fail? They work entirely off IP addresses don't they?

Edit: corrected bolded router model.
Last edited by MrQuade on Wed Aug 05, 2020 15:45, edited 2 times in total.

Ocelot
Apprentice

Post by Ocelot » Wed Aug 05, 2020 14:25

MrQuade wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 14:04
Ocelot wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 13:57
I have a Billion 7800VDOX in case anyone knows of any relevant issues. It's quite a few years old now, but has served me well.
Funny you should mention that. I used to have a Billion 7800VDOX and that was when I had those sorts of problems when the internet went down. I'm going to point by finger at that.
Aha! It sounds the likely source of the problems, then. I guess I'll have to put up with the issue for the time being, until I get a new router. It has been only recently that my Internet connection has had issues, so hopefully things will go back to normal soon. If not, I'll probably end up getting a new router sooner rather than later. Thanks again.

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Wed Aug 05, 2020 15:37

MrQuade wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 14:04
If you want to go fancier, then the rt-ax88u is even newer (not the rt-ax88u, different beast and not as good).

I think you meant to type -
"(not the rt-ac88u, different beast and not as good)"

The RT-AX86U looks to be the Wi-Fi 6 replacement for the AC86U - https://www.asus.com/au/Networking/RT-AX86U/
(likely you know that :))

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Wed Aug 05, 2020 15:44

Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 15:37
I think you meant to type -
"(not the rt-ac88u, different beast and not as good)"

The RT-AX86U looks to be the Wi-Fi 6 replacement for the AC86U - https://www.asus.com/au/Networking/RT-AX86U/
(likely you know that :))
Yes I did. Trevor helpfully "corrected" that for me.

The rt-ac88u is weirdly worse than the rt-ac86u despite the seemingly "larger" model number.

The rt-ax88u has the same speed processor, but twice as much RAM and cores, and 8 LAN ports. It also has full 4x4 MU-MIMO on both WiFi bands with 802.11ax capability to boot, so pretty much one-ups the 86u in those categories.

It does suffer from some software bugs for being "newer" but I expect those will eventually settle down.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Wed Aug 05, 2020 20:31

Hi,

The RT-AX88U is about to get new firmware though the current beta tests have not been going well. I just had to abandon RC2 Beta 2 and am waiting for the next update due this week.

When this new firmware is released it will be worth the update. The new MESH UI is great and the built in speed tester is quite handy.

Regards,
Ian.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Thu Aug 06, 2020 13:57

IanSav wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 20:31
The RT-AX88U is about to get new firmware though the current beta tests have not been going well. I just had to abandon RC2 Beta 2 and am waiting for the next update due this week.
I'm surprised that you aren't running the Merlin variant for all the extra bells and whistles.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Thu Aug 06, 2020 18:00

Hi MrQuade,
MrQuade wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 13:57
I'm surprised that you aren't running the Merlin variant for all the extra bells and whistles.
I am ASUS beta tester. :)

Regards,
Ian.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Thu Aug 06, 2020 23:35

IanSav wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 18:00
I am ASUS beta tester. :)
Tell 'em to light a fire under Trend Micro to fix the horrible memory leaks in their closed source binaries then! ;)

I also heard they might be finally getting round to updating the QoS queuing disciplines to fq_codel at some point. Cake with decent traffic categorisation would be better though!

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Fri Aug 07, 2020 05:42

Hi MrQuade,

All the current effort is towards Mesh 2.

Regards,
Ian.

Return to “General Topics V2”