Is IceTV off line?

Discuss the IceTV EPG and Recording Apps here

Moderators: Gully, peteru

Maindee
Master

Is IceTV off line?

Post by Maindee » Sat Sep 16, 2017 18:02

Hi

My EPG from IceTV has gone blank. Has IceTV gone off line? If not then I have a problem.

I have had a problem with my EPG for quite some time. I have previously sent a query to you guys and followed your advice, without success. I have been in contact with Icetv who said, in effect, that it wasn't their problem as there pinging of my T2 was not getting a reply. I have also been in contact with BZ who suggested that I should reflash the firmware, which initially was successfully, and all seemed OK until now, All this within a 2-3 week period.

I have checked my wifi network using Settings/Network/Network adapter selection/WLAN connection/Network Test" and that is working OK. I have disabled and enabled my icetv setting and then used the "fetch EPG and update timers now" option but the whole EPG data is blank. The icetv log says

"Can not retrieve channel map: HTTPConnectionPool (host='api.icetv.com.au, port =80): (read time out=10.0)

I have rebooted twice using the rear switch with the same result. This is my usual fall-back action when things go wrong with my T2

When I had a problem I used to able to speak to a human being at Icetv but not now. I also used to be able to speak to a human being at BZ but not now.

Can anyone help please. In the mean time how can I get the EPG through non-icetv processes?

Apologies if my frustrations are coming out here. But.........

prl
Wizard God

Re: Is IceTV off line?

Post by prl » Sat Sep 16, 2017 18:17

Maindee wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 18:02
... Has IceTV gone off line? ...

Not for me. I just downloaded the IceTV EPG on my test T4. Twice.
Maindee wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 18:02
... In the mean time how can I get the EPG through non-icetv processes? ...

If all you mean is the EPG, then the cached IceTV EPG should still be there provided you haven't disabled IceTV. You can get the FTA EPG by disabling IceTV.

You can't download new IceTV timers or update them except if your PVR can contact IceTV, but existing IceTV timers should still work.

Can your PVR do other Internet operations, like checking for updates? (The timeout for an update check is longish: a few minutes.)
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Sat Sep 16, 2017 21:10

I see in my IceTV log that my T4 has failed five times since 16:00 AWST to fetch from IceTV. It is currently failing.
Sometimes the channel map is the issue, sometimes the EPG is the issue, other times ir is the timers.
I just checked the T2 and found the same.

Anyway, to get the FTA EPG to populate, disable IceTV, then zap to a new broadcaster, the FTA EPG would fill for that broadcaster's services. Zap to the other broadcasters for same. If you want to see it in action, you can bring up the empty EPG, and move around the broadcasters to see the EPG populate. Fairly regular viewing/recording of one of the broadcaster's services should keep your EPG up to date.

simoncasey
Wizard

Post by simoncasey » Sat Sep 16, 2017 21:44

Separate to the OP's problem, I am also getting the same intermittent error with icetv as grumpy_geoff. I've posted on the icetv forum.
Beyonwiz T4

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Sat Sep 16, 2017 22:04

I hope it is not the result of any EIT id fixes/experiments :-/

Seems to be appearing in my logs periodically too.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

Maindee
Master

Post by Maindee » Sat Sep 16, 2017 22:53

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you but I had an appointment with a rugby test match.

I tried testing the network as suggested by PRL and it failed. This is after having tried it several times before using the Network Test option and before lodging my query. So, it would seem that between my sending this query and the ending of the test match I lost internet connection. This leads me to think that the firmware bit controlling the internet is a bit iffy to say the least. Remembering that I have already reloaded the latest firmwear.

It gets stranger in that now having set up the network, I then tried to download the IceTV EPG and it failed telling me that there was no internet connection. I then went back in and re-set the network settings again (exactly as they have always been) and the Network Test option confirmed that I did indeed have a connected network and I now have an IceTV EPG.

This has been an ongoing issue for quite some time I find it very unsatisfactory. I am the only one with this problem? If I am then perhaps there is a fault in my machine and BZ should have to do something about it. If not then perhaps BZ should be looking at the firmware to find the glitch.

Gully

Post by Gully » Sat Sep 16, 2017 23:32

Hi Maindee

You might need to post more information about your setup and your network configuration for anyone to give you any clues as to what might be causing your problems.

Also just to be clear as I don't get the impression from your posts that you understand (or maybe forgot in the frustration), we are all fellow users, volunteers, sharing knowledge, helping each other.

So if you want help and support, we are happy to provide it. But if you need to contact Beyonwiz or think you have a fault, in the end you will need to contact them.
Cheers
Gully

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Sat Sep 16, 2017 23:32

Typical symptoms of badly configured LAN / modem / router or possibly multiple DHCP servers on your local network.

The basic network connectivity on the T-series is bog standard and fairly bulletproof. Enable Ethernet and the DHCP client will pick up the config from your modem/router DHCP server. It then just works. If that does not work for you then there is a 99.9% chance that the problem is your LAN, ISP or modem router, not the Beyonwiz.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Sat Sep 16, 2017 23:40

The last time Maindee posted about IceTV connectivity issues we enquired as to whether he was fixing the T2's IP address, the stability of his Wireless router, IP address clashes et. al. I think it went through to the keeper.
viewtopic.php?f=61&t=11420

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat Sep 16, 2017 23:53

I had some failures to retrieve the channek map 21:00-22:00 tonight, too.

As of early this afternoon, the proposed EIT event changes had not been made. I'd hoped they would be, so I could start testing, but I think I was being over-optimistic.

If Maindee isn't able to connect to the Beyonwiz firmware feeds, either, that looks like his problem is broader than IceTV flakiness.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Maindee
Master

Post by Maindee » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:37

A thousand apologies if my comments have offended anyone. I am in awe of the support that you guys provide to Beyonwiz and particularly to technical nerds like myself. I have wondered many time where BZ itself would be without your support.

My WiFi network couldn't be much simpler, I think. The physical situation is that I have an iiNet router which sits on a shelf across the room from the TV and the BZ - 4 metres max. Connected to the WiFi are the T2, 2 Microsoft computers, 2 mobile phones and an iPad.

I connect the T2 to the network using the T2s Network setup feature - no more, no less. For the most part all has worked fine.

Grumpy_Geoff posted:

"I wonder if the T2 is losing its network connection, or IP address lease? Does the T2 get a fixed IP address from your router - do you have DHCP set on the T2 and the T2's MAC address listed in the router to give the T2 a fixed IP address? Does your router randomly restart?
How is the T2 connected to the network, wired or WiFi?"

Sorry I didn't respond to this but frankly this is above me. Most of the answers would be "I don't know". As I said above I use the network setup feature provided by the T2. Under "WLAN connection" the box "Automatic configuration (DHCP) is on. Hidden network is off. Under "Show WLAN status, I have:

Accesspoint: C4:EA:1D:11:D1:A1 SSID my network name; signal strength 50 dBm; Bitrate: 130Mb/s Mb/s Encryption: enabled

If any of this is incorrect or more info is required then please advise. Bearing in mind that from here on in any advice/instructions would have to be detailed and in fairly simple terms.

Thank you for your help.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:52

What's shown in MENU>Information>Network?

Is the Internet "LED" on in the screen? Is the Link "LED" on? Is the Gateway IP address correct for your router? Do the Bytes in /out values change (they should change without you doing anything particular on the network, and are updated every 5 sec)?

If the Internet "LED" is on, that means that the PVR can at least successfully ping all of au.pool.ntp.org, www.google.com and pool.ntp.org.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

grampus
Wizard

Post by grampus » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:05

The IceTv access problem appears to have been resolved around 10:30 AM today (sunday)
My updates have resumed OK since about then
Screen: Panasonic TH-60ST60A; BeyonWiz U4; T3; Panasonic BD-35 Blu_Ray player

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:42

grampus wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:05
The IceTv access problem appears to have been resolved around 10:30 AM today (sunday)

I had no connection dropout to IceTV at 09:17, then one at 10:18, but none since. The test T4 is only polling hourly. I'd say that my sample is too small to be sure that the issue is fixed. Time will tell, I guess.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:43

Maindee wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:37
... I have an iiNet router ...

What brand and model is it? One of us may then be able to guide you to configuring it so that the T2 gets the same fixed/constant IP address every time it connects to the wireless router. This is the first step as previously suggested -
MrQuade wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 17:35
It may help to just try giving your T2 a fixed IP address to start with. That might just solve the problem straight away. Just give it an address that is outside of the range of IPs that is normally handed out by your Internet router. That way, you may be able to rule out IP address clashes and DHCP issues.

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:46

prl wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:42
grampus wrote:

I had no connection dropout to IceTV at 09:17, then one at 10:18, but none since. The test T4 is only polling hourly. I'd say that my sample is too small to be sure that the issue is fixed. Time will tell, I guess.

Still intermittent -
10:30:54 AWST - "Can not retrieve channel map"

grampus
Wizard

Post by grampus » Sun Sep 17, 2017 13:19

Mine is set to 15 mins. still retrieving OK. So I guess someone hit the server with "the big hammer". (reboot or similar)

Maindee
Master

Post by Maindee » Sun Sep 17, 2017 15:49

Grumpy_Geoff asked:

"What brand and model is it (the Router)? One of us may then be able to guide you to configuring it so that the T2 gets the same
fixed/constant IP address every time it connects to the wireless router. This is the first step as previously suggested."

There is no obvious brand/model name on my iiNet router and I do not now have the paperwork that came with it. The nearest wording on the box to a brand name is: "TG iiNet - 1". Hopefully this helps. If not then I could contact iiNet to get a brand name. Unfortunately, the iiNet help desk is not the most responsive around, but probably par for the course.

PRL asked:

" Is the Internet "LED" on in the screen? Is the Link "LED" on? Is the Gateway IP address correct for your router? Do the Bytes in /out values
change (they should change without you doing anything particular on the network, and are updated every 5 sec)?

If the Internet "LED" is on, that means that the PVR can at least successfully ping all of au.pool.ntp.org, www.google.com and pool.ntp.org."

Where do I find the the references to the LED? The Gateway IP address appears to be correct, while the Bytes in/out values do change.

Cheers

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Sun Sep 17, 2017 16:43

Maindee wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 15:49
Grumpy_Geoff asked:

"What brand and model is it (the Router)? One of us may then be able to guide you to configuring it so that the T2 gets the same
fixed/constant IP address every time it connects to the wireless router. This is the first step as previously suggested."

There is no obvious brand/model name on my iiNet router and I do not now have the paperwork that came with it. The nearest wording on the box to a brand name is: "TG iiNet - 1". Hopefully this helps. If not then I could contact iiNet to get a brand name. Unfortunately, the iiNet help desk is not the most responsive around, but probably par for the course.

Likely a "TG-1" then from what I gather.
http://iihelp.iinet.net.au/sites/iihelp ... l%20v1.pdf

I had a quick squiz and the only bit I could see that may cover MAC-based IP address reservation.was on page 38 in "4.4.5 Local Network" -
"View or change the DHCP settings of TG-1 Gateway
The lan network also allows you to add or remove static DHCP leases for devices"

When you go to the "Local Network page" and click on "lan" does that show a spot that you can specify an IP address against a MAC address?

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun Sep 17, 2017 16:49

Maindee wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 15:49
Where do I find the the references to the LED? The Gateway IP address appears to be correct, while the Bytes in/out values do change.

In the MENU>About>Network screen that has the Bytes in / out values.

These "LEDs":
AboutNetwork.jpg
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Maindee
Master

Post by Maindee » Sun Sep 17, 2017 17:36

Thanks Peter. I have both green lights - internet and Link.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun Sep 17, 2017 18:17

Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:46
prl wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:42
grampus wrote:

Still intermittent -
10:30:54 AWST - "Can not retrieve channel map"
2017-09-17 18:14 AEST - "Can not retrieve channel map"
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Gully

Post by Gully » Sun Sep 17, 2017 18:53

Maindee wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:37
A thousand apologies if my comments have offended anyone. I am in awe of the support that you guys provide to Beyonwiz and particularly to technical nerds like myself. I have wondered many time where BZ itself would be without your support.
Don't worry, no one is offended. My post was just to keep things focused on what we can and cannot help and it does seem like in this case it is network related.

One question that has been asked but not clearly answered is given you have a wireless network, did you purchase a wireless adapter for the T2? Do you know what it is?

And on that screen that Peter had you look at, what are the details of the rest of the information displayed?
Cheers
Gully

grampus
Wizard

Post by grampus » Sun Sep 17, 2017 21:20

Hopefully I've done everything to try and prove "what it isn't"
Rechecked my internet connection from the T3.
I was able to get to Abc's Iview via HbbTV (blue button)
and play a catch-up show.

Checked that on my Menu>information>network, this showed that I had access to the internet. I had both link, and internet buttons showing green.

posted this below on the ice tv forum.

Any thought would be appreciated..
==============================================
Still having problems with Icetv.
Not sure how this will help but traced api.tpg.com.au
Which seems to get to a router at tpg, then gets sent out to the US.
into the wilderness.

Of course I don't have a trace when the service was working for comparison.
And maybe only see what I want to see.
The first few routers would be my NBN router, then via my isp TPG

Any suggestions?

-- Scany to api.icetv.com.au ---

1) 192-168-1-1.tpgi.com.au (192.168.1.1) 4.204 ms, 12/12 ps, 0.0% loss
2) 10-20-25-29.tpgi.com.au (10.20.25.29) 18.604 ms, 12/12 ps, 0.0% loss
3) 203-219-155-130.tpgi.com.au (203.219.155.130) 33.206 ms, 12/12 ps, 0.0% loss [AS 7545] Australia
4) syd-gls-har-crt2-be-10.tpgi.com.au (202.7.173.17) 32.402 ms, 12/12 ps, 0.0% loss [AS 7545] Australia
5) 203.29.134-140.tpgi.com.au (203.29.134.140) 38.414 ms, 12/12 ps, 0.0% loss [AS 7545] Australia
6) 202.7.162.38 (202.7.162.38) 30.716 ms, 12/12 ps, 0.0% loss [AS 7545] Australia
7) * * *
8) * * *
9) 52.95.37.163 (52.95.37.163) 30.469 ms, 12/12 ps, 0.0% loss United States
10) 52.95.37.33 (52.95.37.33) 25.286 ms, 12/12 ps, 0.0% loss United States
11) 52.95.37.48 (52.95.37.48) 33.867 ms, 12/12 ps, 0.0% loss United States
12) 52.95.37.57 (52.95.37.57) 27.044 ms, 12/12 ps, 0.0% loss United States
13) 54.240.192.113 (54.240.192.113) 26.482 ms, 12/12 ps, 0.0% loss [AS 16509] United States
14) * * *

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Sun Sep 17, 2017 21:34

What are you trying to establish?

Multiple people from different locations have reported intermittent issues, so I think we can assume the problem is not at the user's end.

Could be an ISP related thing? I am on IInet/TPG, not sure about others who are observing the problem.
If it is affecting people using multiple ISPs then this is for IceTV to fix at their end.

grampus
Wizard

Post by grampus » Sun Sep 17, 2017 21:38

The confusing thing to me is that it disappears into the US and gets roadblacked there it seems, as the trace doesn't terminate.
as a further test, I went through logon procedure on the Beyonwiz. The login worked as OK as shown in the log.
I can only assume from this that it doesn't go via the same entry point at Ice as opposed to the entry point for updates.

so my tiny brain is a little more confused.

grampus
Wizard

Post by grampus » Sun Sep 17, 2017 21:42

Just dotting another T and crossing an I as it were.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Sun Sep 17, 2017 21:42

The api.icetv.com.au host might just not respond to ICMP requests, I wouldn't put too much weight on a traceroute unless you know for sure it is supposed to return something.

I'd guess it would be more likely to be a problem on the server itself than a network related issue.

Maybe the server is hosted in Florida? ;)

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun Sep 17, 2017 21:47

IIRC, IceTV is hosted in the USA, but I can't remember where.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Sun Sep 17, 2017 21:50

Last time I looked, it was running on Amazon cloud services. Most likely issue is an IceTV problem.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

grampus
Wizard

Post by grampus » Sun Sep 17, 2017 22:14

The icetv.com.au looks like its at an amazon network.
the last router/ point that the api.icetv.com.au trace points to seems to be in a microsoft network.
ah me
way above my pay grade.

grampus
Wizard

Post by grampus » Sun Sep 17, 2017 23:31

the icetv service is back agai,.
just for interest i redid the trace to api.icetv.com.au.
the trace travels the same path as before and still doesn't terminate.

certainly doesn't look like a routing problem.

hope that ice people did something to make it work, and it doesn't bite us in the backside again.
8)

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Sun Sep 17, 2017 23:36

It's been on and off all weekend. Were you seeing something different to the rest of us? I only saw you report the same intermittent behaviour that Grumpy_Geoff originally observed.

grampus
Wizard

Post by grampus » Sun Sep 17, 2017 23:42

don't believe i saw anything different..
My efforts were just to ensure I hadn't done anything silly, and I had tried a number of different possibilities in case i could add some value.

Maindee
Master

Post by Maindee » Mon Sep 18, 2017 09:24

Gully asked:

1) One question that has been asked but not clearly answered is given you have a wireless network, did you purchase a wireless
adapter for the T2? Do you know what it is?

Yes, I have a wireless adapter, it's an EDUP (11N 300 Mbps) EP-MS1559. I have it connected to the T2 via a Targus 3 way USB adapter along with the USB DVB-T Tuner provided with the T2, and an external HDD. I recall assembling this after consultation with BZ.

2) And on that screen that Peter had you look at, what are the details of the rest of the information displayed?

Network Host name: beyonwizt2 Internet: green light

WLAN connection Link: green light
IP: my IP address
Netmask: 255.255.255.0
Broadcast: 10.1.1.255
MAC: E8:4E:06:25:3D:0D
Gateway: 10.1.1.1
Bytes in/ out 4235640495 /401202439 (numbers change frequently)
Accesspoint C4:EA:1D;11:D1:A1
SSID: my network name
Link Quality 100/100
Bitrate: 130 Mb/s
Signal Strength: 50 dBm
Encryption: enabled

Hope this helps

Maindee
Master

Post by Maindee » Mon Sep 18, 2017 09:58

For completeness and hoping that I am not muddying the waters, I meant to add to my last post:

In searching for the info for Gully I came across the box for the T2s external tuner. Inside was the 30cm cable that is intended to be connected between the tuner and the T2. I can only assume that it wasn't used because I had the tuner connected to the T2 through the 3 way USB adapter and with advice from BZ.

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:24

Maindee wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 09:58
In searching for the info for Gully I came across the box for the T2s external tuner. Inside was the 30cm cable that is intended to be connected between the tuner and the T2. I can only assume that it wasn't used because I had the tuner connected to the T2 through the 3 way USB adapter and with advice from BZ.

Do you have an antenna lead directly connected to the USB tuner dongle? Is the other cable a USB extension cable?

Maindee
Master

Post by Maindee » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:55

Grumpy_Geoff asked:

Do you have an antenna lead directly connected to the USB tuner dongle? Is the other cable a USB extension cable?

No, the only connection to the T2 is through the USB 3 way adapter. I was not concerned when I say the cable as the network system has worked smoothly - when its working. I only mentioned it for completeness.

Maindee
Master

Post by Maindee » Mon Sep 18, 2017 15:47

In reference to the Router manual, Grumpy_Geoff asked:

When you go to the "Local Network page" and click on "lan" does that show a spot that you can specify an IP address against a
MAC address?

The answer is I am not sure: Under the general heading of

Local Network, there is the following:

Static Leases:

Global Information

Local Device IP address: 10.1.1.1

IPv6 State: on

DHCP Settings

DHCP server on

Host name: MAC Address IP
+ add new static lease

Network Mode

Bridge Mode Bridge Mode

Confirm Cancel

Hope this helps

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Mon Sep 18, 2017 16:28

Maindee wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:55
Grumpy_Geoff asked:

No, the only connection to the T2 is through the USB 3 way adapter. I was not concerned when I say the cable as the network system has worked smoothly - when its working. I only mentioned it for completeness.

Nothing to do with networking. I'm referring to the external USB tuner dongle, like this product from the 'Wiz shop - https://beyonwiz.com.au/products/usb-tu ... -function/
It needs an antenna signal, otherwise there's no chance of viewing or recording from the external tuner. The tuner dongle has a small MCX female socket at one end (and the standard USB type-A plug at the other).
It should've come with a lead that has a male mcx connector at one end and a female PAL antenna connector at the other; like this https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1IThTQFXX ... r-13cm.jpg.
You need to plug an antenna cable into the PAL socket of the lead, and plug the lead into the tuner dongle; otherwise your T2 can't become a Triple tuner unit as it can only use the two internal tuners.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon Sep 18, 2017 16:38

The iiNet TG-1 router (which is what Maindee has said he has) has an online manual. For what it's worth.

As far as I can tell, the manual doesn't answer Grumpy_Geoff's question about whether DHCP leases can be nailed down, but the "add new static lease" in the router setup page contents that Maindee listed suggests that they can, but the manual doesn't seem to indicate how to do it.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Mon Sep 18, 2017 17:45

prl wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 16:38
The iiNet TG-1 router (which is what Maindee has said he has) has an online manual. For what it's worth.

Yeah, that's the same as i linked back here
:)

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Mon Sep 18, 2017 17:49

Maindee wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 15:47
Host name: MAC Address IP
+ add new static lease

That could be the spot/link (and prl thinks so too :))

I saw this whilst Googling for the TG-1, it's for a different Technicolor model but the steps may still apply -
"To set up the static addresses, when a device has been issued an IP, click on Home Network --> Devices
Click on the device you want to allocate its IP to remain static. tick use Same IP address for this device. click save. Will change this from dynamic IP to Static."

Failing that, you could set up a static IP address on your T2, outside the DHCP range of your Technicolor. First, we need to (find out) guess the range it's currently using.
We know your modem/router is at IP address 10.1.1.1, what is the range of your T2, your two computers, and your other connected devices? Is it 10.1.1.2 -> 10.1.1.20?
If so, you could just set the IP address in the T2 to something like 10.1.1.123. In the 'Adapter settings' screen on the T2 (MENU->Setup->Network->Network interface) disable 'Automatic configuration (DHCP)', then enter 10.1.1.123 in the 'IP address' field that then appeared ('Netmask' should already be 255.255.255.0, 'Use a gateway' enabled, 'Gateway' 10.1.1.1). Then GREEN/Save. Then choose option 'Network restart' and OK. Then back to the main menu, Information->Network. Is the new IP address shown? Are the 'LEDs' green?

Maindee
Master

Post by Maindee » Mon Sep 18, 2017 20:24

Thanks Grumpy_Geoff. I will try the T2 route tomorrow morning when the TV is not being used. For my devices, the IP Address ranged from 10.1.1.6 to 10.1.1.220. So I thought to use 10.1.1.250 as the static IP Address. Is this too close to the existing or should I go for something like 10.1.1.500?

Thanks again

Gully

Post by Gully » Mon Sep 18, 2017 20:37

Maindee wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 20:24
Thanks Grumpy_Geoff. I will try the T2 route tomorrow morning when the TV is not being used. For my devices, the IP Address ranged from 10.1.1.6 to 10.1.1.220. So I thought to use 10.1.1.250 as the static IP Address. Is this too close to the existing or should I go for something like 10.1.1.500?

Thanks again
Try Geoff's suggestion of how to set it within the router's software first. So see what the T2 is given and set that as the permanent static one.

If that doesn't work then choose one outside the range that the router is using. Doesn't really matter what number you choose except you will only be able to go up to 254 not 500.
Cheers
Gully

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Mon Sep 18, 2017 20:45

Gully wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 20:37
Maindee wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 20:24

Thanks again
Try Geoff's suggestion of how to set it within the router's software first. So see what the T2 is given and set that as the permanent static one.

Just saw this on Whingepool for the TG-789 which apparently is the next model up in the range -
"Can the DHCP server on the TG-789 reserve/assign IP addresses based on MAC address?

Login to the TG-789, then when GUI comes up > Local Network – hover to the right of the orange bar & click on Settings icon > Static Leases – you will see 'Add New Static Lease'"

Maindee
Master

Post by Maindee » Tue Sep 19, 2017 15:07

Hi Geoff

It would appear that the web sites for the TG-1 and TG-789 are different. For the TG-1 there would appear to be no provision to set a static IP address.

However, for the TG-1 under Local Network, I added a new static lease for the T2. This gave me an IP address for the T2 of 10.1.1.189. I then checked under Devices for the T2 and the same IP address appears (but no indication if its a static address).

I then checked the T2 and sure enough it shows the .189 address. So, I switched the Automatic configuration (DHCP) off and saved. The .189 still appears as the IP address for the T2 in Information/Network and the 2 green lights are on.

Is there a way to see if this IP Address is "Static" - perhaps having the Automatic Configuration (DCHP) off might indicate that is!!!!

If not then I will go back to the T2 and set an IP address along the lines suggested by you and Gully i.e.outside the range being used by the TG-1.

Cheers

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Tue Sep 19, 2017 15:24

Maindee wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 15:07
However, for the TG-1 under Local Network, I added a new static lease for the T2. This gave me an IP address for the T2 of 10.1.1.189. I then checked under Devices for the T2 and the same IP address appears (but no indication if its a static address).

I then checked the T2 and sure enough it shows the .189 address. So, I switched the Automatic configuration (DHCP) off and saved. The .189 still appears as the IP address for the T2 in Information/Network and the 2 green lights are on.
If you have given the T2 a static lease in the TG-1 router, then the address is static. The definition of a static address is the same as the normal definition.....something that doesn't change. As static address can either be assigned via a fixed lease, or by directly configuring it in the device.

It is better if you leave DHCP automatic configuration enabled in the T2, and keep that static lease in the router. That way, the T2 will always get the address that it is supposed to have, and will also register its network name "beyonwizt2" with the router. That way, you can refer to the T2 by name rather than by address when accessing it from your PC. (eg. http://beyonwizt2 or \\beyonwizt2\movie etc...)

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Tue Sep 19, 2017 15:26

I think if you reboot both the modem/router and the T2, and the T2 then restarts with .189 then I guess it is now a fixed IP address.

Return to “Ice TV”