Long Range IceTV Timers

Discuss the IceTV EPG and Recording Apps here

Moderators: Gully, peteru

Post Reply
vader1111
Master
Posts: 215
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:58

Long Range IceTV Timers

Post by vader1111 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:13

IceTV has a habit of adding timers, for ABC and SBS, up to 12 days in advance. However, they don't populate the episode title and description fields until 7 days out. This results in my T2 picking up many ABC & SBS timers without the title & description fields populated. If ABC/SBS don't change their schedule, then IceTV doesn't send any timer updates, and the timers don't get the missing data until the time of broadcast.

IceTV don't appear to think there's a problem, and don't appear to have any interest in resolving this issue.

Re-sending all timers doesn't result in these fields being updated in the T2's timers.

Deleting them from the T2 also deletes them from the IceTV recording schedule, so doing a delete/re-send is not a trivial option. It actually involves going into IceTV and manually re-scheduling the deleted timer, before it can be re-sent to the T2.

Is there any solution to this problem? Is there any way of deleting the timers on the T2, without them also being deleted from IceTV? Is there any way of setting up the IceTV plugin, so that it doesn't pull down timers more than 7 days in advance?
2x T2 19.3 20190818

prl
Wizard God
Posts: 30487
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 13:49
Location: Canberra; Black Mountain Tower transmitters

Re: Long Range IceTV Timers

Post by prl » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:56

This is a long-standing issue with IceTV timers. I don't ever see it, but I think that's because I don't see timers being set beyond the end of the EPG.

The only way around it, I think, is to scan the timers list looking for missing (or outdated) episode names and/or descriptions each time an EPG update is done. But I'm not in a position to test it.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

User avatar
MrQuade
Uber Wizard
Posts: 10406
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2007 13:40
Location: Perth

Re: Long Range IceTV Timers

Post by MrQuade » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:01

prl wrote:This is a long-standing issue with IceTV timers. I don't ever see it, but I think that's because I don't see timers being set beyond the end of the EPG.
Me nether, which is what confuses me about this problem that a few people have reported.

I only ever set two types of timers via IceTV. Manual one-shot timers from the IceTV website EPG, or the Beyonwiz EPG (obviously won't be affected), and regular series recordings (ie. choose a TV series from the EPG, and select the option to record all new instances of this series).

As I understand, there are also rule-based timers available which I have never bothered to investigate.

Vader1111, can you confirm what sort of IceTV timers are typically being affected by this problem?
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/4/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
D-Link&Ubiquiti 1Gbps Managed LAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U
Pixel 4, Nexus 7, Nexus 9, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

vader1111
Master
Posts: 215
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:58

Re: Long Range IceTV Timers

Post by vader1111 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:19

These are regular series recordings. One-off episode recordings aren't an issue, because you can't do those more than 7 days in advance. Not from Ice TV, anyway. I don't have any rule-based timers set - they're more trouble than they're worth.

The most extreme example I've seen recently was from the ABC. The timer for The Coroner, for Saturday 9th April, showed up on Tuesday 28th March.
2x T2 19.3 20190818

User avatar
MrQuade
Uber Wizard
Posts: 10406
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2007 13:40
Location: Perth

Re: Long Range IceTV Timers

Post by MrQuade » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:36

Just speculating now, but what about repeat flagging for that show?

I think all of my series timers are restricted to first-runs only. Perhaps first-run flagged series timers are deferred until later if the repeat information takes a bit longer to determine? Maybe if a series is set to record all instances, the timer is set earlier?
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/4/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
D-Link&Ubiquiti 1Gbps Managed LAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U
Pixel 4, Nexus 7, Nexus 9, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

vader1111
Master
Posts: 215
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:58

Re: Long Range IceTV Timers

Post by vader1111 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:53

MrQuade wrote:Just speculating now, but what about repeat flagging for that show?

I think all of my series timers are restricted to first-runs only. Perhaps first-run flagged series timers are deferred until later if the repeat information takes a bit longer to determine? Maybe if a series is set to record all instances, the timer is set earlier?
Almost all of my IceTV series reservations are set to "First Run Only". This is definitely the case for the previously cited example (The Coroner, 9th April).

My default options are:
First Run Only
Any network
Prefer high def
Record all
Any time

Almost all of my series reservations use these settings.
2x T2 19.3 20190818

User avatar
MrQuade
Uber Wizard
Posts: 10406
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2007 13:40
Location: Perth

Re: Long Range IceTV Timers

Post by MrQuade » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:59

vader1111 wrote: Almost all of my series reservations use these settings.
I'm out of ideas then :-/
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/4/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
D-Link&Ubiquiti 1Gbps Managed LAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U
Pixel 4, Nexus 7, Nexus 9, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

vader1111
Master
Posts: 215
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:58

Re: Long Range IceTV Timers

Post by vader1111 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 13:08

Ideally, I'd like a way of stopping these premature timers from being sent (or received).

I'd settle for a way of re-sending the timers/reservations, which does update the timers, and doesn't result in the timers being deleted in IceTV (requiring manual re-scheduling).
2x T2 19.3 20190818

Grumpy_Geoff
Wizard
Posts: 4850
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 22:54
Location: Perth

Re: Long Range IceTV Timers

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Tue Apr 04, 2017 13:09

TL;DR - do a GUI restart (or a reboot)

I've 6 'waiting' timers sans description on my T2 now (all for Sunday 9-Apr), and 1 'completed' timer (for last Sunday) all sent by IceTV as series recordings.
In 4.4 (!) they would only get their empty descriptions populated by a GUI restart - not a reboot. prl had stated it should also update on a reboot but that had never been my experience.
In 16.1 (!!), they are getting updated upon reboot. The reason these 6 T2 timers still have empty descriptions is because the T2 hasn't been rebooted nor GUI restarted in 2 days due to continuity testing.

On my T4 now, I've 2 'waiting' timers sans description. One of the 'waiting' timers is for Sun 9-Apr and the other is for when I don't yet have EPG data, Tue 11-Apr.
I also have 3 'completed' timers (for last Sunday) sans description. All are from IceTV series recordings.
I rebooted the T4 just now and as expected, after giving the timers a chance to update, the timer for next Sun has had its description populated.

If you get timers added past the EPG data content and you don't reboot or restart the UI, then I think it's likely those recalcitrant timers will stay that way.

prl
Wizard God
Posts: 30487
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 13:49
Location: Canberra; Black Mountain Tower transmitters

Re: Long Range IceTV Timers

Post by prl » Tue Apr 04, 2017 13:24

Perhaps getting timers outside the EPG range is a regional thing. Our in-use box is also shut down when it's not in use, so that may also help with keeping the timer info up to date.

I'm happy to work with anyone who has this problem to try fix it if they're willing to run alpha code.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

User avatar
MrQuade
Uber Wizard
Posts: 10406
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2007 13:40
Location: Perth

Re: Long Range IceTV Timers

Post by MrQuade » Tue Apr 04, 2017 13:38

Is it a simple matter of ensuring that the IceTV plugin performs a periodic refresh equivalent to whatever it does following a GUI restart/reboot?
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/4/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
D-Link&Ubiquiti 1Gbps Managed LAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U
Pixel 4, Nexus 7, Nexus 9, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

prl
Wizard God
Posts: 30487
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 13:49
Location: Canberra; Black Mountain Tower transmitters

Re: Long Range IceTV Timers

Post by prl » Tue Apr 04, 2017 13:54

MrQuade wrote:Is it a simple matter of ensuring that the IceTV plugin performs a periodic refresh equivalent to whatever it does following a GUI restart/reboot?
I was thinking something a bit more proactive, because that procedure only updates timers that have been updated by IceTV.

Code: Select all

# Whenever EPG update is received ...
timertbl = {}
for timer in recording_timers:
    timertbl[entry.event_id] = timer

save_timers = False

for shows in EPG_update:
    if show.event_id in timertbl:
        timer = timertbl[show.event_id]
        if show.episode != timer.episode:
            timer.episode = show.episode
            save_timers = True
        if show.description != timer.description
            timer.description = show.description
            save_timers = True

if save_timers:
    recording_timers.save_to_file()
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

Grumpy_Geoff
Wizard
Posts: 4850
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 22:54
Location: Perth

Re: Long Range IceTV Timers

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Tue Apr 04, 2017 14:09

prl wrote:Perhaps getting timers outside the EPG range is a regional thing. ...
Are you saying Canberra is getting special treatment by Ice? :)

My T2 has a Power Timer (kludged) set to boot to standby in the mornings, before the daily morning recording session starts. The PT has a 3-minute 'wait period' to go to standby from that bootup at 05:40.
Is that enough time for the recalcitrant timers to be fixed?

The zap to last service is prior to the below snippet at time interval 130 secs. Timeshift has started 10 secs later. The 3 min 'completed Power Timer' countdown starts at interval 173, and the box goes to standby at 352 seconds.
At what interval would the timer cleansing be expected - is it the below "[RecordTimer]" entries at 169 secs interval?
I note the NTP update at 137 secs is for time 05:42:24, so the interval appears 'short' by 7 seconds given the boot is set for 05:40.

Code: Select all

{528}<   137.824> [Console] finished: /usr/bin/ntpdate-sync
{528}<   137.825> [NetworkTime] setting E2 time: 1490737344.49
{528}<   137.833> [eMainloop::processOneEvent] unhandled POLLERR/HUP/NVAL for fd 49(17)
{528}<   140.601> [eDVBServicePlay] timeshift
{528}<   140.608> [eDVBServicePlay] timeshift
{528}<   140.611> [eDVBServicePlay] [Timeshift] stopTimeshift
{528}<   140.614> [eDVBServicePlay] timeshift
{528}<   140.628> [eDVBServicePlay] timeshift
{528}<   140.630> [eDVBServicePlay] timeshift
{528}<   140.636> [eDVBServicePlay] Start timeshift!
{528}<   140.647> [eDVBServicePlay] timeshift recording to /media/hdd/timeshift/timeshift.XzjoOv
{665}<   140.657> [setIoPrio] realtime level 7 ok
{665}<   140.657> [eFilePushThreadRecorder] THREAD START
{528}<   140.680> [Timeshift] ptsCreateEITFile: in method 'eEPGCache_saveEventToFile', argument 3 of type 'eServiceReference const &'
{528}<   140.682> [eDVBServicePlay] timeshift
{528}<   140.684> [eDVBServicePlay] unpause
{528}<   140.690> [eDVBServicePlay] timeshift
{528}<   140.691> [eDVBServicePlay] timeshift
{528}<   140.693> [eDVBServicePlay] timeshift
{642}<   169.174> [RecordTimer] ignore double timer
{642}<   169.555> [RecordTimer] ignore double timer
{528}<   173.441> [Skin] processing screen MessageBoxSimple:
{528}<   173.567> [Skin] processing screen MessageBoxSimple_summary:
{528}<   173.574> [SCREENNAME]  ['MessageBoxSimple_summary', 'SimpleSummary']
{528}<   173.579> [SCREENNAME]  ['MessageBoxSimple']
{528}<   292.122> [AutoTimer] Auto Poll
{528}<   292.165> [AutoTimer] Auto Poll Started
{687}<   292.319> [eEPGCache] lookup events with 'The Deep' in title (ignore case)
{528}<   292.932> [Task] job Components.Task.Job name=AutoTimer #tasks=2 completed with [] in None
{528}<   352.578> [MessageBox] Timeout!
{528}<   352.652> [SCREENNAME]  InfoBarSummary
{528}<   352.793> [Standby] enter standby
{528}<   352.809> [eDVBServicePlay] [Timeshift] stopTimeshift
prl wrote:I'm happy to work with anyone who has this problem to try fix it if they're willing to run alpha code.
I'm always happy to run your alphas :)

vader1111
Master
Posts: 215
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:58

Re: Long Range IceTV Timers

Post by vader1111 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 14:31

prl wrote:Perhaps getting timers outside the EPG range is a regional thing. Our in-use box is also shut down when it's not in use, so that may also help with keeping the timer info up to date.

I'm happy to work with anyone who has this problem to try fix it if they're willing to run alpha code.
You and I are both in Canberra... yet I have the problem and you can't replicate it. That suggests it's not regional.

How do I re-start the GUI? Is this just turning the T2 on & off again? If solving the problem is as simple as cycling the T2 through on/off every day, then that's definitely an acceptable solution.

My T2 is very rarely switched on. Most of the time I leave it in standby mode. I'm an advertiser's worst nightmare - I record programs, copy them to my PC, edit them to remove the ads (using VideoRedo TVSuite), then watch the edited recordings using a media player. I rarely turn the T2 "on", except to watch live sport (even then I will often watch in chase play mode, so I can skip past the ads).
2x T2 19.3 20190818

User avatar
MrQuade
Uber Wizard
Posts: 10406
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2007 13:40
Location: Perth

Re: Long Range IceTV Timers

Post by MrQuade » Tue Apr 04, 2017 14:44

vader1111 wrote: How do I re-start the GUI?
Long-press the POWER button and choose the appropriate option (also accessible via MENU->Power).

Hopefully this will just be a temporary measure for you, if prl's idea comes to fruition.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/4/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
D-Link&Ubiquiti 1Gbps Managed LAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U
Pixel 4, Nexus 7, Nexus 9, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

vader1111
Master
Posts: 215
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:58

Re: Long Range IceTV Timers

Post by vader1111 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 14:54

MrQuade wrote:
vader1111 wrote: How do I re-start the GUI?
Long-press the POWER button and choose the appropriate option (also accessible via MENU->Power).

Hopefully this will just be a temporary measure for you, if prl's idea comes to fruition.
Will give it a go tonight and see if it makes a difference.

I like prl's idea a whole lot more.
2x T2 19.3 20190818

prl
Wizard God
Posts: 30487
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 13:49
Location: Canberra; Black Mountain Tower transmitters

Re: Long Range IceTV Timers

Post by prl » Tue Apr 04, 2017 15:12

vader1111 wrote:
prl wrote:Perhaps getting timers outside the EPG range is a regional thing. Our in-use box is also shut down when it's not in use, so that may also help with keeping the timer info up to date.
....
You and I are both in Canberra... yet I have the problem and you can't replicate it. That suggests it's not regional.
I've just noticed that my furthest-out timers are on 12 Apr (they've updated since I last posted), 8 days ahead, and they don't have descriptions set. So, you're right, it doesn't appear to be regional.
vader1111 wrote:My T2 is very rarely switched on. Most of the time I leave it in standby mode.
I think you meant there "my T2 is almost always on, just with A/V out and timeshift disabled". That's the key difference that means that my show descriptions are generally there by the time they're recorded, and yours aren't. Our T4 is in shutdown (completely powered down except for the ront panel) when it's not in use. That means that each time it's used, there's a complete restart.
vader1111 wrote:... I rarely turn the T2 "on" ...
Your T2 is almost always on. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to copy shows off it.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

User avatar
MrQuade
Uber Wizard
Posts: 10406
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2007 13:40
Location: Perth

Re: Long Range IceTV Timers

Post by MrQuade » Tue Apr 04, 2017 15:28

prl wrote: Your T2 is almost always on. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to copy shows off it.
Pretty sure that's why he used the word "on" in inverted commas.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/4/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
D-Link&Ubiquiti 1Gbps Managed LAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U
Pixel 4, Nexus 7, Nexus 9, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

vader1111
Master
Posts: 215
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:58

Re: Long Range IceTV Timers

Post by vader1111 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 15:29

That's just a matter of terminology, with the T2 having 4 states..
Off - Switched off by the switch at the back of the machine
Deep Standby - Wakes up for timers, but is to all intents and purposes off the rest of the time (no network functionality)
Standby - A/V circuits powered down, but network functionality (including IceTV, Samba, FTP) all fully functional
On - A/V circuits running, all systems operational

My T2 spends 99% of its life in the 3rd of these modes, which I refer to as "Standby".
2x T2 19.3 20190818

prl
Wizard God
Posts: 30487
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 13:49
Location: Canberra; Black Mountain Tower transmitters

Re: Long Range IceTV Timers

Post by prl » Tue Apr 04, 2017 15:39

Grumpy_Geoff wrote:...
My T2 has a Power Timer (kludged) set to boot to standby in the mornings, before the daily morning recording session starts. The PT has a 3-minute 'wait period' to go to standby from that bootup at 05:40.
Is that enough time for the recalcitrant timers to be fixed?
IceTV will run in standby mode. Its first fetch happens during enigma2 startup when the plugins are initialised in mytest.py. On my T4, this happens when the front panel shows about 90% of startup time from shutdown. A full EPG update takes our T4 about 10-15 sec.
Grumpy_Geoff wrote:At what interval would the timer cleansing be expected - is it the below "[RecordTimer]" entries at 169 secs interval?
If you mean "when does the first IceTV EPG & timer update finish", then I would expect it to be well before the 137.8 second mark where your log extract starts.
Grumpy_Geoff wrote:I note the NTP update at 137 secs is for time 05:42:24, so the interval appears 'short' by 7 seconds given the boot is set for 05:40.
I wouldn't be quibbling about a few seconds there. The front panel restart timer is set 3 minutes before the time in the timer (power timer or record timer). This makes sure everything is up and running for the timer the timer was set for.
Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
prl wrote:I'm happy to work with anyone who has this problem to try fix it if they're willing to run alpha code.
I'm always happy to run your alphas :)
Thanks.

It will be a little while before I do anything about this.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

prl
Wizard God
Posts: 30487
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 13:49
Location: Canberra; Black Mountain Tower transmitters

Re: Long Range IceTV Timers

Post by prl » Tue Apr 04, 2017 15:42

vader1111 wrote:That's just a matter of terminology, with the T2 having 4 states..
Off - Switched off by the switch at the back of the machine
Deep Standby - Wakes up for timers, but is to all intents and purposes off the rest of the time (no network functionality)
Standby - A/V circuits powered down, but network functionality (including IceTV, Samba, FTP) all fully functional
On - A/V circuits running, all systems operational

My T2 spends 99% of its life in the 3rd of these modes, which I refer to as "Standby".
The important distinction in this problem is the one between "on or in standby" and "shutdown".
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

vader1111
Master
Posts: 215
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:58

Re: Long Range IceTV Timers

Post by vader1111 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 16:04

My T2 only ever exists in the latter 2 states - standby & on. In both cases, the networking functionality is running and the device is capable of recording. It spends 99% of its life in standby mode.

The only time it ever goes into Off mode is when it's rebooting after a firmware update. I have never used Deep Standby mode.
2x T2 19.3 20190818

Grumpy_Geoff
Wizard
Posts: 4850
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 22:54
Location: Perth

Re: Long Range IceTV Timers

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Tue Apr 04, 2017 16:38

prl wrote:...
Grumpy_Geoff wrote:At what interval would the timer cleansing be expected - is it the below "[RecordTimer]" entries at 169 secs interval?
If you mean "when does the first IceTV EPG & timer update finish", then I would expect it to be well before the 137.8 second mark where your log extract starts.
All of the record and power timers are listed between 112 secs and 126 secs. Are you saying that the timers without description are processed then?
prl wrote:
Grumpy_Geoff wrote:I note the NTP update at 137 secs is for time 05:42:24, so the interval appears 'short' by 7 seconds given the boot is set for 05:40.
I wouldn't be quibbling about a few seconds there. The front panel restart timer is set 3 minutes before the time in the timer (power timer or record timer). This makes sure everything is up and running for the timer the timer was set for.
For a record timer sure, but I don't believe that's the case for a Power Timer boot from shutdown.
The first time interval recorded in a relevant log is at 32.985 secs, with the log being named as *{date}_05-40-37.log.
The Power Timer was set for 05:40 - I believe that's when the bootup happened.

prl
Wizard God
Posts: 30487
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 13:49
Location: Canberra; Black Mountain Tower transmitters

Re: Long Range IceTV Timers

Post by prl » Tue Apr 04, 2017 18:13

Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
prl wrote:...
Grumpy_Geoff wrote:At what interval would the timer cleansing be expected - is it the below "[RecordTimer]" entries at 169 secs interval?
If you mean "when does the first IceTV EPG & timer update finish", then I would expect it to be well before the 137.8 second mark where your log extract starts.
All of the record and power timers are listed between 112 secs and 126 secs. Are you saying that the timers without description are processed then?
The log entries for timers are printed when the timer files are loaded. IceTV is started just after that, but unless IceTV logging is on, or there are errors, nothing is printed to the log file for the IceTV startup.

My proposal wouldn't change that order, but it would try to update timer descriptions from the updates being sent for the EPG.
Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
prl wrote:
Grumpy_Geoff wrote:I note the NTP update at 137 secs is for time 05:42:24, so the interval appears 'short' by 7 seconds given the boot is set for 05:40.
I wouldn't be quibbling about a few seconds there. The front panel restart timer is set 3 minutes before the time in the timer (power timer or record timer). This makes sure everything is up and running for the timer the timer was set for.
For a record timer sure, but I don't believe that's the case for a Power Timer boot from shutdown.
The first time interval recorded in a relevant log is at 32.985 secs, with the log being named as *{date}_05-40-37.log.
The Power Timer was set for 05:40 - I believe that's when the bootup happened.
You're right. The 3 min is only subtracted from the startup time for record and zap timers. :oops:
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

Grumpy_Geoff
Wizard
Posts: 4850
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 22:54
Location: Perth

Re: Long Range IceTV Timers

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Tue Apr 04, 2017 19:02

vader1111 wrote:...
How do I re-start the GUI? Is this just turning the T2 on & off again? If solving the problem is as simple as cycling the T2 through on/off every day, then that's definitely an acceptable solution.
You can also set up Power Timers to do -
  1. A GUI restart. It could run daily, or on specified days you define
  2. A go to standby
    Have this timed for, say 5 mins after the above restart. You need to account for the 3-min countdown popup before the restart occurs, plus the restart duration so the T2 can then effect your timed go to standby.

vader1111
Master
Posts: 215
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:58

Re: Long Range IceTV Timers

Post by vader1111 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 20:26

GUI restart did the trick - all of the timers for the next 7 days have episode titles and descriptions. Not an ideal solution, but it will do for now.

Thanks!
2x T2 19.3 20190818

prl
Wizard God
Posts: 30487
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 13:49
Location: Canberra; Black Mountain Tower transmitters

Re: Long Range IceTV Timers

Post by prl » Wed Apr 05, 2017 18:07

prl wrote:...
The only way around it, I think, is to scan the timers list looking for missing (or outdated) episode names and/or descriptions each time an EPG update is done. But I'm not in a position to test it.
I've coded this, but I haven't tested it. I'm checking current code behaviour when the box is kept in standby when not in use. I'll do that for a few days and then try the fix.

When timers are checked to update their descriptions from the EPG, should it only update if the timer description isn't set (and miss out on getting any changes in the description on the IceTV side) or always set the timer description whether it's been set or not (and overwrite any description changes the user may have made).

I've coded the first, but I think the second may be better (and there's only a few lines of code that differ).
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

Grumpy_Geoff
Wizard
Posts: 4850
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 22:54
Location: Perth

Re: Long Range IceTV Timers

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Wed Apr 05, 2017 18:25

prl wrote:...
When timers are checked to update their descriptions from the EPG, should it only update if the timer description isn't set (and miss out on getting any changes in the description on the IceTV side) or always set the timer description whether it's been set or not (and overwrite any description changes the user may have made).

I've coded the first, but I think the second may be better (and there's only a few lines of code that differ).
Either is fine with me, but I'm slightly leaning to the latter of always update if different.

User avatar
peteru
Uber Wizard
Posts: 9010
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 23:06
Location: Sydney, Australia
Contact:

Re: Long Range IceTV Timers

Post by peteru » Wed Apr 05, 2017 21:35

prl wrote:scan the timers list looking for missing (or outdated) episode names and/or descriptions each time an EPG update is done
That sounds like the type of thing that could lead to performance issues akin to the "confused autotimer spinning star" syndrome. Not saying it's not worth trying, but it may be prudent to collect some performance metrics and tread carefully.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

prl
Wizard God
Posts: 30487
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 13:49
Location: Canberra; Black Mountain Tower transmitters

Re: Long Range IceTV Timers

Post by prl » Thu Apr 06, 2017 09:17

peteru wrote:
prl wrote:scan the timers list looking for missing (or outdated) episode names and/or descriptions each time an EPG update is done
That sounds like the type of thing that could lead to performance issues akin to the "confused autotimer spinning star" syndrome. Not saying it's not worth trying, but it may be prudent to collect some performance metrics and tread carefully.
One of the first things that I will test is the time cost. However, it will be the same order of cost as the prior call to EPGFetcher.makeChanShowMap().

It will operate incrementally after the full first fetch after a GUI restart and, except at startup, scan only newly arrived EPG entries.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

prl
Wizard God
Posts: 30487
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 13:49
Location: Canberra; Black Mountain Tower transmitters

Re: Long Range IceTV Timers

Post by prl » Thu Apr 06, 2017 19:07

Here are indicative timings for the initial EPG load at GUI restart time (times in ms):

Code: Select all

{8229}<  6750.237> [EPGFetcher] doWork
{8229}<  6750.238> [EPGFetcher] doWork login 0
{8229}<  6750.997> [EPGFetcher] doWork get channels 758
{8229}<  6755.594> [EPGFetcher] doWork get shows 4595
{8229}<  6764.115> [EPGFetcher] doWork make chan show map 7522
{8229}<  6765.765> [EPGFetcher] doWork import events 1650
{8229}<  6766.080> [EPGFetcher] doWork save cache 314
{8229}<  6766.082> [EPGFetcher] updateTimerDescriptions 14            <<< 14 timers being checked
{8229}<  6766.088> [EPGFetcher] doWork update descriptions 7          <<< This is the time of concern...
{8229}<  6766.089> [EPGFetcher] doWork process timers in shows 0
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

vader1111
Master
Posts: 215
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:58

Re: Long Range IceTV Timers

Post by vader1111 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 09:37

Am I reading that correctly.. the whole EPG load process takes 15.8 seconds, and you're concerned about the 7ms it takes to update the descriptions?

Maybe there's something else going on that I'm not aware of, which might cause conflicts... But from the outside it looks like an increase of 0.044%. I think most people would find that to be an acceptable delay!
2x T2 19.3 20190818

prl
Wizard God
Posts: 30487
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 13:49
Location: Canberra; Black Mountain Tower transmitters

Re: Long Range IceTV Timers

Post by prl » Fri Apr 07, 2017 09:48

vader1111 wrote:Am I reading that correctly.. the whole EPG load process takes 15.8 seconds, and you're concerned about the 7ms it takes to update the descriptions?
No, peteru was asking whether it might cause a problem with the time to do an update. I posted to demonstrate that it would not. The "concern" in my post was whether there was a problem, not that the times I had posted showed there was a problem :)
vader1111 wrote:Maybe there's something else going on that I'm not aware of, which might cause conflicts... But from the outside it looks like an increase of 0.044%. I think most people would find that to be an acceptable delay!
I'm not aware of any issue that might cause problems with the time to do the timer description update. I would expect the run time to be O(numberofEPGentries + numberOfTimerEntries), but since normally numberOfEPGEntries >> numberOfTimerEntries, it would simply be O(numberOfEPGEntries), and the timings I gave should be representative on a T2 or T4. All the numbers (except perhaps the "get channels" and "get shows" times, which are probably network bound) will be larger on a T3, but their relative sizes should be about the same.

tl;dr From a performance point of view, the timings do not show a reason not to go ahead with the fix.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

prl
Wizard God
Posts: 30487
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 13:49
Location: Canberra; Black Mountain Tower transmitters

Re: Long Range IceTV Timers

Post by prl » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:45

Daniel Hall at IceTV has identified the underlying cause of the problem as a bug in the IceTV server, which was sending out timers that were ahead of the EPG whenever there was an incremental update of the IceTV EPG and timers on the PVR. The incremental updates are done for every IceTV fetch except on restart, reboot, GUI restart or on the first fetch after Enable IceTV.

That server-side bug has now been fixed, and timers will only be sent for 6 days (including the current day).

We agreed, though, that the mechanism I developed as a fix for the original problem might be useful to have anyway, e.g. to update timers' descriptions if their description in the EPG changed.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

Grumpy_Geoff
Wizard
Posts: 4850
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 22:54
Location: Perth

Re: Long Range IceTV Timers

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:56

Yep, saw that IceTV forum post - thanks for alerting them (on our behalf :))

prl
Wizard God
Posts: 30487
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 13:49
Location: Canberra; Black Mountain Tower transmitters

Re: Long Range IceTV Timers

Post by prl » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:02

I'm still slightly annoyed that they've known about this problem for a long time (Hi, Judy!), I've explained on the IceTV forum several times over what was happening on the Beyonwiz, and it's only now been said that the underlying problem is a server side bug.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

vader1111
Master
Posts: 215
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:58

Re: Long Range IceTV Timers

Post by vader1111 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 09:47

Many thanks for sorting this out... both in the T2 firmware, and getting IceTV to fix a problem that they've obviously known about for ages.
2x T2 19.3 20190818

prl
Wizard God
Posts: 30487
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 13:49
Location: Canberra; Black Mountain Tower transmitters

Re: Long Range IceTV Timers

Post by prl » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:01

I'd go with "should have known" rather than "have known".
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

vader1111
Master
Posts: 215
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:58

Re: Long Range IceTV Timers

Post by vader1111 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:48

prl wrote:I'd go with "should have known" rather than "have known".
Considering the number of times this problem has been raised with them in the past...

Once again, thanks for your efforts in resolving the problem.
2x T2 19.3 20190818

prl
Wizard God
Posts: 30487
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 13:49
Location: Canberra; Black Mountain Tower transmitters

Re: Long Range IceTV Timers

Post by prl » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:38

Now that the server side changes have been running for a few days, have they fixed the problem of missing descriptions in timers created since then?
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

Grumpy_Geoff
Wizard
Posts: 4850
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 22:54
Location: Perth

Re: Long Range IceTV Timers

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:50

Neither my T2 nor T4 have any timers without descriptions.

prl
Wizard God
Posts: 30487
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 13:49
Location: Canberra; Black Mountain Tower transmitters

Re: Long Range IceTV Timers

Post by prl » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:55

Good to hear.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

vader1111
Master
Posts: 215
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:58

Re: Long Range IceTV Timers

Post by vader1111 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:18

prl wrote:Now that the server side changes have been running for a few days, have they fixed the problem of missing descriptions in timers created since then?
Yes. I haven't seen any timers appearing beyond the 7-day EPG window since the server changes were made.
2x T2 19.3 20190818

prl
Wizard God
Posts: 30487
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 13:49
Location: Canberra; Black Mountain Tower transmitters

Re: Long Range IceTV Timers

Post by prl » Wed Apr 12, 2017 13:03

vader1111's post about timers not being deleted before new ones are added has been moved to Timers not deleted before new timers are added and I have replied there.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

Post Reply

Return to “Ice TV”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests