T2 No audio from HDMI only optical

Moderators: Gully, peteru

inedshead
Apprentice

T2 No audio from HDMI only optical

Post by inedshead » Thu Aug 06, 2020 21:01

Hoping someone can help my cause...

I have a Hisense 65P7 TV and their manual recommends: "HDMI 2.0 Format: Match the connected device output format. Select Enhanced for
devices with output of 4K, 60Hz, 4:4:4, 4:2:2 or 4:2:0, 10 bit and above."

Problem being, as soon as I do this, audio drops out from the Beyonwiz T2. I still get audio from the optical port, and this was fine when I had my previous Marantz receiver where I could select the optical audio input with the HDMI video from the Beyonwiz box. Unfortunately however, I've changed to an LG soundbar now and when I select optical, there is no HDMI video and when I select HDMI video I get no audio.

Is there a way to lock the EDID information on the Beyonwiz box or do something to retain audio on HDMI?

Appreciate any and all suggestions.
Ed...

Beyonwiz V2 with WD Green 240GB SSD, Nvidia Shield, XBOX One S, Hisense 65P7 connected through LG SN9 soundbar, using Logitech Harmony Elite, Google Hub Max, networked to Asustor NAS, Amplifi router, Luxul gigabit switch

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Re: T2 No audio from HDMI only optical

Post by MrQuade » Thu Aug 06, 2020 21:11

inedshead wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 21:01
"HDMI 2.0 Format: Match the connected device output format. Select Enhanced for
devices with output of 4K, 60Hz, 4:4:4, 4:2:2 or 4:2:0, 10 bit and above."
The T2 HDMI chipset is not compatible with that mode of operation in the HDMI 2.0 standard.

You need to connect the T2 to a port on the TV that doesn't have that setting enabled.

The T2 can't take advantage of any of the UHD deep colour features, so the setting isn't required for the T2.

You may want to plug the T2 directly injury the tv and bypass the sound bar HDMI ports so that your other UHD enabled devices can take advantage of the deep colour setting on a separate tv input.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

exitguy
Master

Post by exitguy » Thu Aug 06, 2020 21:15

inedshead wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 21:01
Hoping someone can help my cause...
Is there a way to lock the EDID information on the Beyonwiz box or do something to retain audio on HDMI?
HDMI Standard will provide both Audio & Video via HDMI, HDMI Enhanced will only provide Video via HDMI and Audio needs to go via SPDIF
Been there earlier this year when I installed the new AVR and wanted everything to go through HDMI.
Ended up setting the AVR to Enhanced and running Audio from the T2 via SPDIF to the AVR - works fine and that way all the other 4K UHD devices provide the TV with the correct Video

inedshead
Apprentice

Post by inedshead » Thu Aug 06, 2020 21:24

Thanks for the quick response and explanation.

There are some problems running multiple HDMI's to the TV, unrelated to the T2, in that the Hisense is shockingly bad with changing HDMI inputs from a control system (no discrete IR commends) so I prefer to leave it on HDMI 1 and do all my switching through connected AVR or in this case the soundbar.

Would the new V2 PVR support Enhanced mode by putting out audio?

It may be time finally for an upgrade...
Ed...

Beyonwiz V2 with WD Green 240GB SSD, Nvidia Shield, XBOX One S, Hisense 65P7 connected through LG SN9 soundbar, using Logitech Harmony Elite, Google Hub Max, networked to Asustor NAS, Amplifi router, Luxul gigabit switch

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Thu Aug 06, 2020 21:29

The T4, U4 and V2 do not suffer from this problem.

You may also want to see if you can get optical audio working via the sound bar as exitguy mentioned. It should work as long as the sound bar allows you to assign the optical audio input to one of the HDMI inputs.
Doing this with the deep colour setting enabled may also affect the colour coming from the T2 as well. I have noticed a slight but noticeable colour shift when operating in this fashion. So that may or may not affect/bother you.

inedshead
Apprentice

Post by inedshead » Thu Aug 06, 2020 22:13

Thanks again for the quick reply. Assigning the optical audio to an HDMI input is how I used to run my Marantz AVR but with the soundbar, when I switch to optical audio, it cuts all video, so unfortunately not the best of the both worlds.

I haven't noticed the colour change when setting things at deep colour, but then I'm always more critical on our lovely broadcast standard in this fair country of ours.

Would be great if there was a trade up program to move on from my V1 :roll: I know this is probably not the forum to ask, but is there any place I can see how the GUI has changed on the V2 or how it might operate differently?
Ed...

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Thu Aug 06, 2020 22:27

inedshead wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 22:13
I know this is probably not the forum to ask, but is there any place I can see how the GUI has changed on the V2 or how it might operate differently?
The software interface is absolutely identical. The main differences lie in the hardware.

The V2 doesn't have a built in hard-disk, so any decent sized storage will need to be extremely added via USB or network. The V2 does have a microSD card slot for very compact and somewhat expensive onboard storage.

The V2 can take a dual external tuner for a total of 4 though, so that's a step up.

The V2 can also run Kodi, which is a nice feature. You can also run a different version of firmware that is developed by an overseas community. This version is a bit more advanced than the Beyonwiz firmware at the moment, but it is not quite as tailored to the Australian experience. The GUI in the "OpenATV" firmware is quite a bit different, but not completely unrelated to the Beyonwiz interface.

Btw, there is no "V1", V2 is the model name, not a "version".

Return to “General Topics”