Networking a DP P2

PC, Mac and Linux Networking Hints and Tips.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

David T

Networking a DP P2

Post by David T » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:41

Hello.
firstly this is my first post so i hope I'm in the right section
I have scoured the forum pages and have been unable to find a step by step guide to networking a DPP2. I tried to connect up by following the Beyonwiz manual also without success.
i don't want to repeat someone else's question / answer so if there is a good step by step guide (a you tube clip would be ideal) some one could point me too I would be most appreciative.

I am trying to stream a movie from computer by wifi to my router that is connected via cat5 cable to my DPP2 then onto the TV. We are able to watch movies from an external hard drive via the P2's usb section successfully. Going through the P2 allows us to use the sound system as opposed to only being able to use the TV's speakers if we connect to the TV directly

My familiarity with computers is basic at best so I apologise in advance. I have set up the P2 with the DHCP setting as per other peoples posts and have the router set up similarly. opening up the router on my laptop I can see all of the computers, and phones, on our network including an unknown one which I assume is the P2. However I am not able to see the P2 in any of the network folders in our computers. I am able to see all of the other networked devices though. I have searched for networked computers using the search functions on the P2 as well as searching manually inputting the IP addresses listed in the router also without success. The P2 cant find any networked computers. I have turned off the virus and firewalls too.

We are running Windows 7 (Lan cable) on one computer, Windows 10 (WiFi) on the main laptop computer and the router is an Asus DSL NSS U C1.

At the moment we are pulling cables out of the PVR and putting them into the laptop to stream movies. while not ideal I do appreciate that it's just a first world problem. :)
thank you in advance for any assistance that may be available
regards
David

raymondjpg
Guru

Re: Networking a DP P2

Post by raymondjpg » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:09

David T wrote:My familiarity with computers is basic at best so I apologise in advance. I have set up the P2 with the DHCP setting as per other peoples posts and have the router set up similarly. opening up the router on my laptop I can see all of the computers, and phones, on our network including an unknown one which I assume is the P2. However I am not able to see the P2 in any of the network folders in our computers. I am able to see all of the other networked devices though. I have searched for networked computers using the search functions on the P2 as well as searching manually inputting the IP addresses listed in the router also without success. The P2 cant find any networked computers. I have turned off the virus and firewalls too.
You won't get to see the P2 in your computers. It doesn't work that way. What you are aiming to do is get the P2 to see your computers.

1. In the P2 setup, under windows sharing make sure that the default workgroup is exactly the same as in your computers. In Windows 7 it can be found by right clicking computer|properties|advanced system settings|computer name tab. It's probably the same in Windows 10.

2. Ensure that all folders in your PCs with files that you want to access with the P2 are shared, and have Guest enabled for read access. Giving "Everyone" shared access works in some cases, but Guest is the most reliable.

3. In the P2 file player, hit the red (scan) button. It should find the shares that you have enabled on the PCs. The green button never did work with Windows 7, and for all I know it won't work with Windows 10 either. If the P2 is going to find your PC shares, IIRC the scan only goes about 50% but don't worry about that if the shares have been found.
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 14:58

raymondjpg wrote: 2. Ensure that all folders in your PCs with files that you want to access with the P2 are shared, and have Guest enabled for read access. Giving "Everyone" shared access works in some cases, but Guest is the most reliable..
Just to clarify: you can organize individual files and folders below a main folder and only share the main folder.

Also, there is a bug that affects playing VOBS on the late firmware. If you select a VIDEO_TS folder you see the VOBS. If you select one, they disappear! Press exit then press ok. They reappear. The P2 plays VOBs one at a time, but not the IFOs.

It's also fussy with avi's, mkv's, etc. Most will play but some won't except if you recode them.

And yes, the scan stops at 50%.
Samsung QA65Q80TAWXXY 4K TV
Samsung HW Q800BXY soundbar
OverlayHD 1.70, IceTV, Foxtel IQ4
2 x Win7 PCs, 2 x Win10 PCs
Denon AVR -X2400H

IanB
Wizard

Post by IanB » Sun Apr 30, 2017 09:42

This is standard 1.07.xxx behaviour.

Only 1.05.xxx series firmware can play DVD images.

1.07.351 is the latest DP-P2 firmware and works on all versions of the hardware. (Rev C SOC but no DVD)

1.05.350 is the latest DP-P2 firmware for rev A and rev B only SOC hardware. (DVD image playback)

Return to “Networking your Beyonwiz DP Series”