OverlayHD Skin...

Moderators: Gully, peteru

adoxa
Wizard

Re: OverlayHD Skin...

Post by adoxa » Tue Jul 31, 2018 19:16

IanSav wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 19:01
The selection column is always present even if nothing is drawn!
Unlike FC marking is always available (there's no separate selection mode), so the mark is always drawn; the default mark_off.png is blank. I did have a radio-button style (like my previous PVR), but didn't like that, either.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Tue Jul 31, 2018 19:29

Hi Adoxa,
adoxa wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 19:16
Unlike FC marking is always available (there's no separate selection mode), so the mark is always drawn; the default mark_off.png is blank. I did have a radio-button style (like my previous PVR), but didn't like that, either.
What is wrong with the FileCommander UI? Why didn't you use the same UI paradigm and images from FileCommander? Beyonwiz users are used to that look and functionality. It would have made for a more consistent and predictable UI. Arguably you could / should have changed FileCommander to be like MovieSelection if the FileCommander UI is unacceptable. I prefer the FileCommander UI, particularly now that it has had significant improvements.

I am a strong advocate of UI consistency and predictability. The changes to MovieSelection are, in my opinion, a significant inconsistency. There is too much going on and navigation options are compromised.

We each have our own ideas. I try to implement my vision but allow options for others to adapt or adopt the changes to accommodate their preferences. In this case the code is forcing a UI change that I can't fix or work around. :(

Regards,
Ian.

adoxa
Wizard

Post by adoxa » Tue Jul 31, 2018 19:58

IanSav wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 19:29
What is wrong with the FileCommander UI?
Nothing per se, but neither Peter wanted a modal interface:
peteru wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 21:49
[...] It would be great to remove the modality. [...]

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Tue Jul 31, 2018 20:34

Hi Adoxa,
adoxa wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 19:58
IanSav wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 19:29
What is wrong with the FileCommander UI?
Nothing per se, but neither Peter wanted a modal interface:
peteru wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 21:49
[...] It would be great to remove the modality. [...]
I feel that the selection mode has its benefits. It allows for the limited number of buttons available on the remote control to be rationally assigned.

Even with the mode less design the screen could be adapted on the fly to support the selection actions.
  • As soon as the first file selection is made then add/insert the selection column just like in FileManager.
  • If the large progress indicator is in use them switch to the small progress indicator
  • Move the icons right the width of the selection column tick box (with a small spacer)
  • Reduce the width of the file names by the width used by the selection column
  • Even if icon display is off the folder icons are still displayed?!?! Either insert the selection column in front of the folder icons and the blank space to the left of the file names or else remove the folder icons when icon display is off. Then simply insert the selection column in front of the file name text
  • For UI visual alignment use the empty and ticked boxes as per FileCommander
  • When the selections are done, restore the display as it was before selections were started
Regards,
Ian.

adoxa
Wizard

Post by adoxa » Tue Jul 31, 2018 21:13

IanSav wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 20:34
  • As soon as the first file selection is made then add/insert the selection column just like in FileManager.
  • Move the icons right the width of the selection column tick box (with a small spacer)
  • Reduce the width of the file names by the width used by the selection column
That's how I originally did it. I didn't like it moving when the selection was made and as mentioned previously I didn't like it appearing indented when there was no apparent off mark, and even less when there was an ever-present off radio button. I'm quite happy with how it is now. Indeed, I have to stop myself pressing NEXT or PREV when I want to mark in FC.

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Tue Jul 31, 2018 21:20

adoxa wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 21:13
...I'm quite happy with how it is now.

So am I, FWIW 8)
Indeed, I have to stop myself pressing NEXT or PREV when I want to mark in FC.
Yep, that part of the FC interface is poxy.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Tue Jul 31, 2018 21:28

Hi Adoxa,
adoxa wrote:
That's how I originally did it. I didn't like it moving when the selection was made and as mentioned previously I didn't like it appearing indented when there was no apparent off mark, and even less when there was an ever-present off radio button. I'm quite happy with how it is now. Indeed, I have to stop myself pressing NEXT or PREV when I want to mark in FC.
I am happy that you like the UI. Now how do I get to skin it the way I want it to look? The always present selection column with no content is a UI problem I want fixed or to fix.

Regards,
Ian.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Tue Jul 31, 2018 21:33

Hi Grumpy_Geoff,
Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 21:20
adoxa wrote:
...I'm quite happy with how it is now.
So am I, FWIW 8)
What skin are you both actively using?
Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 21:20
Indeed, I have to stop myself pressing NEXT or PREV when I want to mark in FC.
Yep, that part of the FC interface is poxy.
If my UI consistency changes get accepted then this may well be changing.

Regards,
Ian.

adoxa
Wizard

Post by adoxa » Tue Jul 31, 2018 21:58

I use Full-Metal-Wizard.
IanSav wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 21:28
Now how do I get to skin it the way I want it to look? The always present selection column with no content is a UI problem I want fixed or to fix.
How do you want it to look? With it shifted when there's marks? i.e. when there's no marks the list is drawn at 50 and there's no mark off icon at all; when there's marks the mark on icon is drawn at 50 and the list moves across (reducing the name). Hm, I guess that could be done if there's no listPos attribute and no mark_off.png. Or maybe check for mark.png, rather than mark_{on,off}.png. And it does have content, either mark_off.png or mark_on.png. I prefer to see nothing if there's no marks, so mark_off.png is empty for the built-in skins.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Tue Jul 31, 2018 22:20

Hi Adoxa,

Full-Metal-Wizard and easy-skin-aus-hd are effectively the same skin. OverlayHD is different and has been crafted to be visually significantly more consistent. I try to position all elements within OverlayHD with exacting accuracy to the pixel level. In any case ALL code should be developed to support and allow adjustments by *any* skin. Remember that at some point in time even the default skins may want to change.

For OverlayHD I always want every line to start displaying something at column 50. The selected/unselected icons from FileCommander are only 25 pixels wide. For visual consistency those are the icons I will be using.

Regards,
Ian.

adoxa
Wizard

Post by adoxa » Tue Jul 31, 2018 22:34

IanSav wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 22:20
For OverlayHD I always want every line to start displaying something at column 50. The selected/unselected icons from FileCommander are only 25 pixels wide. For visual consistency those are the icons I will be using.
I did start with those, but they looked awful in that context. My mark icons are only 16 pixels wide. If you want those FC icons use those icons. If you want the on icon but not the off I'll adjust the code. If you want something else you'll have to tell me.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Tue Jul 31, 2018 22:51

Hi Adoxa,
adoxa wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 22:34
I did start with those, but they looked awful in that context. My mark icons are only 16 pixels wide. If you want those FC icons use those icons. If you want the on icon but not the off I'll adjust the code. If you want something else you'll have to tell me.
I will experiment. My point is that the code shouldn't need to change to support most skinning requirements. Using different icons should not require a code change.

Look at how Prl has been changing FileCommander. All of the changes still allow significant control of what is displayed and where it is displayed within the skin alone. The code was written with skinning flexibility in mind.

Regards,
Ian.

adoxa
Wizard

Post by adoxa » Tue Jul 31, 2018 23:23

IanSav wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 22:51
Using different icons should not require a code change.
Huh? It doesn't. It uses whatever the skin has as icons/mark_{on,off}.png. It will require a code change if you only want an on icon without any off icon at all (rather than just a blank one).

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Wed Aug 01, 2018 00:28

Hi Adoxa,
adoxa wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 23:23
IanSav wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 22:51
Using different icons should not require a code change.
Huh? It doesn't. It uses whatever the skin has as icons/mark_{on,off}.png. It will require a code change if you only want an on icon without any off icon at all (rather than just a blank one).
I used the icons from FileCommander and the icons have the right edge clipped. The lines are still being displayed indented by about 50 pixels from the nominated starting point.

I am looking at the code changes in MovieList.py and the default the mark icon width is set to 16 pixels. The mark images are then loaded and the the height checked against the item height to clip the height of the image. The hard coded mark icon width is never reset the width of the actual icon! It looks like the width override MUST be used to make this work. :(

Why is the existing list data offset by 50 pixels? The original data default offset should be related to the width of the mark icon. This setting requires a specific override but is a setting that shouldn't need to even exist.

Was this code tested for use in contexts other than the preferred implementation in Full-Metal-Wizard? I am surprised that this code was accepted and merged.

Regards,
Ian.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Wed Aug 01, 2018 01:23

Hi Adoxa,

You were right about the FileCommander icons not looking very good in this context.

I have created my own icons that conform to the MovieSelection 20 by 20 pixel format. They are still a gray box with and without a green tick but the box edge is now the edge of the image (no blank space around the box) and the green tick now has a black border and the tick is fully contained within the box. These look a lot better. I may even use these in a future FileCommander change. I am attaching the new icons to this message.

These new icons highlight another issue with the code. I can't position the mark icons to the very left of the screen object. It appears to be centred in the list offset width. This is not how all the other objects on the line are placed. The other icons and names are left aligned and the spacing between one item and the next is specifically provided. The current code can not be used to create a clean left aligned list in OverlayHD. :(

Regards,
Ian.
Attachments
mark_on.png
File selected icon.
mark_on.png (656 Bytes) Viewed 5020 times
mark_off.png
File not selected icon.
mark_off.png (137 Bytes) Viewed 5020 times

adoxa
Wizard

Post by adoxa » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:45

IanSav wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 00:28
I am looking at the code changes in MovieList.py and the default the mark icon width is set to 16 pixels. The mark images are then loaded and the the height checked against the item height to clip the height of the image. The hard coded mark icon width is never reset the width of the actual icon! It looks like the width override MUST be used to make this work. :(
I just copied what iconsWidth did.
Why is the existing list data offset by 50 pixels? The original data default offset should be related to the width of the mark icon. This setting requires a specific override but is a setting that shouldn't need to even exist.
I wanted the icon drawn before 50, but the list to remain at 50. The way I solved this was to have the list at 0 and add listPos to seemingly move it back to 50. The icon is then drawn its width (markWidth) and space before it.

IanSav wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 01:23
You were right about the FileCommander icons not looking very good in this context.
There's a first.
The current code can not be used to create a clean left aligned list in OverlayHD. :(
I'm not sure what you mean. Here's how I do it (well, I would have, if I patched it right):
myway.png
myway.png (15.95 KiB) Viewed 4989 times

Code: Select all

<screen name="MovieSelectionListBeyonwiz">
		<widget name="list" position="0,80" size="810,525" backgroundColor="MenuBackground" backgroundColorSelected="MenuSelected" enableWrapAround="1" foregroundColor="MenuText" foregroundColorSelected="MenuTextSelected" scrollbarMode="showOnDemand" transparent="0"
			font="MovieSelectionFont;20" pbarHeight="10" pbarLargeWidth="45" spaceIconeText="5" iconsWidth="25" spaceRight="5" dateWidthScale="9.0" lenWidthScale="4.0" sizeWidthScale="5.0" listPos="50" />
and here's what I think you're after:
yourway.png
yourway.png (16.59 KiB) Viewed 4989 times

<widget name="list" position="50,80" size="760,525" backgroundColor="MenuBackground" backgroundColorSelected="MenuSelected" enableWrapAround="1" foregroundColor="MenuText" foregroundColorSelected="MenuTextSelected" scrollbarMode="showOnDemand" transparent="0"
			font="MovieSelectionFont;20" pbarHeight="10" pbarLargeWidth="45" spaceIconeText="5" iconsWidth="25" spaceRight="5" dateWidthScale="9.0" lenWidthScale="4.0" sizeWidthScale="5.0" markWidth="20" listPos="25" />
After doing that I'll admit it could be better.

adoxa
Wizard

Post by adoxa » Wed Aug 01, 2018 15:53

If what you're really after is no icons when there's no selection and shifting everything across to make room for them when there is a selection I think I could use listPos to do that.

if listPos == 0:
    if no_selections:
        draw_items(0)
    else:
        draw_mark(0)
        draw_items(markWidth + space)
else:
    draw_mark(listPos - markWidth - space)
    draw_items(listPos)

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 16:00

IanSav wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 18:48
Hi Paul,
Paul_oz53 wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 18:05
I'm happy to run OverlayHD 1.66 on the U4 with the 20180729 beta firmware.

Do the new CLE elements exist in that beta and will they conflict?
I have rethought this. I have linked to the new 1.66 here for anyone to try.

There will be an update to 1.67 as soon as Prl's latest FileCommander changes get added to the code in the next beta.

The CutList Editor changes are not there as I am trying to work out what was intended.

Regards,
Ian.

I've installed 1.66 on the U4. There appears to be a couple of bugs to iron out.

A minor gripe is the install step states the Execution progress step but not Execution finished. After waiting a few minutes I exited and restarted the GUI. As it was not clear it had installed, I reinstalled. On the subsequent attempt, the message came up that it is already installed.

Checking the FC screen, I see Help has been added and the "True" icon image is a blue dot. Also, the screen for Menu->YouTube has been redesigned but otherwise appears complete and functional. These were the obvious changes. Anything else is quite subtle.

In Network->DLNA setup, the following screen is not usable to amend setting: miniDLNA setup (Blank screen but not an issue with 1.60 on the T3).

The green tick sits on top of a visible red cross with the TiVo settings, etc. on the previous screen: miniDLNA.

Mountpoints management -> Mountpoint viewer screen: No borders around green ticks? (General observation: Newer screens use the selection box border around green ticks but older screens do not [See Autotimer options]. This is not consistent through the whole interface.)

Cheers,
Samsung QA65Q80TAWXXY 4K TV
Samsung HW Q800BXY soundbar
OverlayHD 1.70, IceTV, Foxtel IQ4
2 x Win7 PCs, 2 x Win10 PCs
Denon AVR -X2400H

adoxa
Wizard

Post by adoxa » Wed Aug 01, 2018 16:30

Paul_oz53 wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 16:00
I've installed 1.66 on the U4. [...]

A minor gripe is the install step states the Execution progress step but not Execution finished. After waiting a few minutes I exited and restarted the GUI. [...]
1.66 on a T2 with 20180729 (no patches) installed in about 30 seconds.

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 17:00

adoxa wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 16:30
Paul_oz53 wrote:
I've installed 1.66 on the U4. [...]

A minor gripe is the install step states the Execution progress step but not Execution finished. After waiting a few minutes I exited and restarted the GUI. [...]
1.66 on a T2 with 20180729 (no patches) installed in about 30 seconds.

The only patch I have installed is the loading progress indicator for the U4. Wouldn't expect that to be an issue.
Denon AVR -X2400H

adoxa
Wizard

Post by adoxa » Wed Aug 01, 2018 17:10

Paul_oz53 wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 17:00
The only patch I have installed is the loading progress indicator for the U4. Wouldn't expect that to be an issue.
Shouldn't be. If it's convenient, could you remove it, enable debugging, and install again? Of course, you can bet it'll work...

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 18:15

adoxa wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 17:10
Paul_oz53 wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 17:00
Shouldn't be. If it's convenient, could you remove it, enable debugging, and install again? Of course, you can bet it'll work...

Yep, that's exactly correct.

Last time I installed it over version 1.60. This time I removed it first then installed 1.66 over the FMW skin. No dramas. No point to the logs given it worked.
Denon AVR -X2400H

adoxa
Wizard

Post by adoxa » Wed Aug 01, 2018 18:39

FWIW, I had 1.64 installed, FMW active.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Thu Aug 02, 2018 00:06

Hi Adoxa,
adoxa wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:45
IanSav wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 00:28
I just copied what iconsWidth did.
I will look at fixing the code later.
adoxa wrote:
I wanted the icon drawn before 50, but the list to remain at 50. The way I solved this was to have the list at 0 and add listPos to seemingly move it back to 50. The icon is then drawn its width (markWidth) and space before it.
This code does not conform to the way the UI widgets normally work. This solution breaks the line highlighting. Again, I will look at fixing this later.
adoxa wrote:
IanSav wrote:
There's a first.
I have no problems acknowledging when I make a mistake. Once I recognised the issue it was quick and easy to create a better looking set of icons.
adoxa wrote:
The current code can not be used to create a clean left aligned list in OverlayHD. :(
I'm not sure what you mean. Here's how I do it (well, I would have, if I patched it right):
myway.png

<widget name="list" position="0,80" size="810,525" backgroundColor="MenuBackground" backgroundColorSelected="MenuSelected" enableWrapAround="1" foregroundColor="MenuText" foregroundColorSelected="MenuTextSelected" scrollbarMode="showOnDemand" transparent="0"
			font="MovieSelectionFont;20" pbarHeight="10" pbarLargeWidth="45" spaceIconeText="5" iconsWidth="25" spaceRight="5" dateWidthScale="9.0" lenWidthScale="4.0" sizeWidthScale="5.0" listPos="50" />
and here's what I think you're after:
yourway.png

<widget name="list" position="50,80" size="760,525" backgroundColor="MenuBackground" backgroundColorSelected="MenuSelected" enableWrapAround="1" foregroundColor="MenuText" foregroundColorSelected="MenuTextSelected" scrollbarMode="showOnDemand" transparent="0"
			font="MovieSelectionFont;20" pbarHeight="10" pbarLargeWidth="45" spaceIconeText="5" iconsWidth="25" spaceRight="5" dateWidthScale="9.0" lenWidthScale="4.0" sizeWidthScale="5.0" markWidth="20" listPos="25" />
After doing that I'll admit it could be better.
I strive for pixel perfect alignment of all on screen elements. This is a case where I can not achieve the alignment I desire. I will look at fixing this when I look at the other UI changes I would like to make to this code.

Regards,
Ian.

adoxa
Wizard

Post by adoxa » Thu Aug 02, 2018 00:21

IanSav wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 00:06
[...] This solution breaks the line highlighting. [...]
Ah yes, that was another thing - I didn't want the mark to be highlighted, especially when it's blank.

adoxa wrote:
IanSav wrote:
There's a first.
I have no problems acknowledging when I make a mistake. [...]
No no, I meant it was the first time I was right.

I strive for pixel perfect alignment of all on screen elements. This is a case where I can not achieve the alignment I desire. I will look at fixing this when I look at the other UI changes I would like to make to this code.
I still don't believe you've told me what you actually want, so I'll just shut up and wait for your patch.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Thu Aug 02, 2018 00:45

Hi Paul,
Paul_oz53 wrote:
A minor gripe is the install step states the Execution progress step but not Execution finished. After waiting a few minutes I exited and restarted the GUI. As it was not clear it had installed, I reinstalled. On the subsequent attempt, the message came up that it is already installed.
Is this still a problem? I can't reproduce the issue. Once 1.66 is installed you can't reinstall using the GUI, you need to remove OverlayHD and reinstall it again.
Paul_oz53 wrote:
Checking the FC screen, I see Help has been added and the "True" icon image is a blue dot.
The HELP button is compliments of Prl's changes to FileCommander. :)

Yes, the switch icon has had a refresh. Is it okay?
Paul_oz53 wrote:
Also, the screen for Menu->YouTube has been redesigned but otherwise appears complete and functional. These were the obvious changes. Anything else is quite subtle.
There are a lot of changes under the covers and a few on top. If things are generally looking "normal" then that is good. If any screens look wrong or don't follow the OverlayHD style I would like the problems and screen captures reported.
Paul_oz53 wrote:
In Network->DLNA setup, the following screen is not usable to amend setting: miniDLNA setup (Blank screen but not an issue with 1.60 on the T3).
Can I please have some screen captures with instructions on how to reproduce the issue.
Paul_oz53 wrote:
The green tick sits on top of a visible red cross with the TiVo settings, etc. on the previous screen: miniDLNA.
I don't seem to be able to enable the TiVo option on my box. Can you please give me more information about what you are experiencing. (My issue may be due to my new setup engine but it could be an existing bug.)
Paul_oz53 wrote:
Mountpoints management -> Mountpoint viewer screen: No borders around green ticks? (General observation: Newer screens use the selection box border around green ticks but older screens do not [See Autotimer options]. This is not consistent through the whole interface.)
In Mountpoints management there are three icons used. The green tick indicates that the mount is active. The red cross indicates that the mount is inactive. The yellow exclamation mark indicates an error condition. These icons are a status report and not a call to action. The ticks in boxes represent an option that has been selected and can optionally be deactivated (like file selection). Think of these boxed icons like checkboxes on a web page. The two sets of icons have different meanings in the UI.

I have the next version of OverlayHD (1.67) ready to go. It has the CutList editor changes, the new FileCommander headings and an improved MovieSelection screen (though it is not as good as I would like it to be - yet). Obviously I will look at the issues you mentioned once I understand them. Other than those issues is there anything in the skin that should stop me releasing it to everyone as an automated update?

Regards,
Ian.

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 03:14

IanSav wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 00:45
Hi Paul,
Paul_oz53 wrote:
Is this still a problem? I can't reproduce the issue. Once 1.66 is installed you can't reinstall using the GUI, you need to remove OverlayHD and reinstall it again.

No, not a problem for me the second time around. Only happened when I installed it without removing 1.60. The second time I uninstalled the OverlayHD skin before running the install.
IanSav wrote:
Paul_oz53 wrote:
Checking the FC screen, I see Help has been added and the "True" icon image is a blue dot.

Yes, the switch icon has had a refresh. Is it okay?

Thanks prl. FC usability is now very much improved.

Re the icon: I do tend to get used to the way things are so sorry to say I prefer the old icon. Mainly because I find it easier to see when I access the machines using Openwebif. At the end of the day, it is a matter of personal preferences.
IanSav wrote:
Paul_oz53 wrote:
Also, the screen for Menu->YouTube has been redesigned but otherwise appears complete and functional. These were the obvious changes. Anything else is quite subtle.
There are a lot of changes under the covers and a few on top. If things are generally looking "normal" then that is good. If any screens look wrong or don't follow the OverlayHD style I would like the problems and screen captures reported.
I did not find any other screens that were wrong, apart from the two MiniDLNA screens on the U4.
IanSav wrote:
Paul_oz53 wrote:
Can I please have some screen captures with instructions on how to reproduce the issue.
IanSav wrote:
Paul_oz53 wrote:
I don't seem to be able to enable the TiVo option on my box. Can you please give me more information about what you are experiencing. (My issue may be due to my new setup engine but it could be an existing bug.)
Bear in mind I am testing 1.66 on the U4 and using the T3 for comparison with the current production OverlayHD. I suspect if there is a difference with 1.66 on your T3 to the U4 results, it may have something to do with the way the U4 presents video. I seem to recall some early discussion of that but it has long since gone quiet.

Attached are screenshots of the two screens on the U4 and the T3 for comparison. Access as Menu>>Network>>DLNA Setup. On the U4 both the red cross and green tick are visible but on the T3 it is either / or. If one now presses Menu, the U4 screen is blank, whilst the T3 has the MiniDLNA setup options displayed.
IanSav wrote:
Paul_oz53 wrote:
In Mountpoints management there are three icons used. The green tick indicates that the mount is active. The red cross indicates that the mount is inactive. The yellow exclamation mark indicates an error condition. These icons are a status report and not a call to action. The ticks in boxes represent an option that has been selected and can optionally be deactivated (like file selection). Think of these boxed icons like checkboxes on a web page. The two sets of icons have different meanings in the UI.

OK, that clears up the distinction.
IanSav wrote:
I have the next version of OverlayHD (1.67) ready to go. It has the CutList editor changes, the new FileCommander headings and an improved MovieSelection screen (though it is not as good as I would like it to be - yet). Obviously I will look at the issues you mentioned once I understand them. Other than those issues is there anything in the skin that should stop me releasing it to everyone as an automated update?

Regards,
Ian.

I don't believe so Ian, MiniDLNA aside.

I haven't explored all the screens under Media->Menu but those I did look at were fine (also Media, IMDB, EPG, Timers, Autotimers). I checked nearly all the screens under Menu. These were all OK. The only really obvious change is in the YouTube screens and it worked OK for me with the new skin screens.

Since I bought the Denon AVR, it has the WizTV dongle installed and that is now my preferred YouTube viewer. Consequently, I no longer use the inbuilt version as my primary YouTube source. This is not because of the skin but because the interface on the dongle is full-featured whereas the inbuilt version is not.
Attachments
MiniDLNA v1.66.jpg
MiniDLNA v1.66.jpg (46.01 KiB) Viewed 5274 times
MiniDLNA v1.60.jpg
MiniDLNA v1.60.jpg (50.01 KiB) Viewed 5274 times
MiniDLNA Setup v1.66.jpg
MiniDLNA Setup v1.66.jpg (30.28 KiB) Viewed 5274 times
MiniDLNA Setup v1.60.jpg
MiniDLNA Setup v1.60.jpg (55.49 KiB) Viewed 5274 times
Denon AVR -X2400H

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Thu Aug 02, 2018 08:32

Paul_oz53 wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 03:14
IanSav wrote:
Paul_oz53 wrote:
Checking the FC screen, I see Help has been added ...

Thanks prl. FC usability is now very much improved.

Thanks. There's more to come :)

Progress on the work on File Commander is logged here.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Thu Aug 02, 2018 14:37

Hi Prl,

I don't have a U4. Could you please see if the DLNA issues that Paul is reporting are actually a U4 issue rather than a skin issue?

Regards,
Ian.

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Thu Aug 02, 2018 15:07

IanSav wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 14:37
I don't have a U4. Could you please see if the DLNA issues that Paul is reporting are actually a U4 issue rather than a skin issue?

There's no issue with those screens on a U4 running F-M-W.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Thu Aug 02, 2018 16:18

There doesn't seem to be any problem with the MiniDLNA screens for me, U4 with OverlayHD 1.66 and firmware 20180729beta.:
MiniDLAN OHD 1.66 main.jpg
MiniDLAN OHD 1.66 menu.jpg
Attachments
MiniDLAN OHD 1.66 main.jpg
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Thu Aug 02, 2018 16:21

Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 15:07
IanSav wrote:

I think the question relates just to IanSav's recent changes to OverlayHD. In the pre-loaded skins, the file that contains the MiniDLNA main screen hasn't changed since early April.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 16:39

Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 15:07
IanSav wrote:

I'm beginning to think this has something to do with the first failed attempt to install 1.66 on the U4. FMW and easy-aus are both corrupt on my U4. (BTW - in my earlier post where I say version 1.60, I suspect it is in fact version 1.64 that is running on the T3/T4.)

I'll reflash back to 20180417 and try again.
Denon AVR -X2400H

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 17:23

You can rest easy Ian.

The problem must have been induced with the original install. It has now been restored to normality.
Attachments
MiniDLNA setup 1.66 reflashed.jpg
MiniDLNA setup 1.66 reflashed.jpg (109.75 KiB) Viewed 5212 times
MiniDLNA 1.66 reflashed.jpg
Denon AVR -X2400H

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Thu Aug 02, 2018 23:20

Hi,

Thanks to everyone for testing out the DLNA screens.

@Paul, are you getting used to the new switch icon? If you still don't like it then how could I improve it?

Regards,
Ian.

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:05

IanSav wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 23:20
Hi,

Thanks to everyone for testing out the DLNA screens.

@Paul, are you getting used to the new switch icon? If you still don't like it then how could I improve it?

Regards,
Ian.

Hi Ian.

I can live with the icons. I still prefer the older style which has a greater area coloured blue when selected. If you could make the blue circle larger, that would be a compromise but it's up to you.

Cheers,
Denon AVR -X2400H

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Fri Aug 03, 2018 13:02

Hi Paul,
Paul_oz53 wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:05
I can live with the icons. I still prefer the older style which has a greater area coloured blue when selected. If you could make the blue circle larger, that would be a compromise but it's up to you.
I asked because I wanted to improve the acceptability for everyone. No suggestion or comment will be ignored.

I can make the blue LED larger or I can make the entire top of the switch blue. The reason I changed the icons was because having the switch background change colour looked wrong to me. Do any of the attached versions appear better to you?

Regards,
Ian.
Attachments
menu_on2.png
On switch Alternate 2
menu_on2.png (483 Bytes) Viewed 5154 times
menu_on1.png
On switch Alternate 1
menu_on1.png (866 Bytes) Viewed 5154 times
menu_off2.png
Off switch Alternate 2
menu_off2.png (315 Bytes) Viewed 5154 times
menu_off1.png
Off switch Alternate 1
menu_off1.png (663 Bytes) Viewed 5154 times

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri Aug 03, 2018 13:06

IanSav wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 13:02
The reason I changed the icons was because having the switch background change colour looked wrong to me.

I've seen that convention used in some physical slide switches.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Fri Aug 03, 2018 13:13

Hi Prl,
prl wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 13:06
IanSav wrote:
The reason I changed the icons was because having the switch background change colour looked wrong to me.
I've seen that convention used in some physical slide switches.
As have I, and I didn't like it there either. ;) Though the physical and three dimensional aspect of a physical switch did help.

Regards,
Ian.

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 13:28

IanSav wrote:
Hi Paul,
Paul_oz53 wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:05
I asked because I wanted to improve the acceptability for everyone. No suggestion or comment will be ignored.

I can make the blue LED larger or I can make the entire top of the switch blue. The reason I changed the icons was because having the switch background change colour looked wrong to me. Do any of the attached versions appear better to you?

Regards,
Ian.

At the risk of appearing indecisive, I can live with either. The criteria I use is can I tell at a glance whether it's selected or not. The original draft replacement is a bit small. I do prefer icons to text for this function.

Alternate 1 is an improvement on the draft icon and has the more modern LED feel so I'd be happy to go with that. Being old fashioned, I'm also very happy to use alternate 2 is if that's on offer. The latter is more reminiscent of manual slide switches.
Denon AVR -X2400H

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Fri Aug 03, 2018 13:35

Hi Paul,

Given that I didn't get the off switch in alternative 1 quite right (I think it is still too dark) I am happy to switch to alternative 2. Consider it done.

Regards,
Ian.

sub3R
Wizard

Post by sub3R » Fri Aug 03, 2018 21:10

Hi Ian,

I can’t help much with any comments about your new version of OverlayHD except what I read or see on the forum every now & again (we are away for a few weeks).

My two cents worth about the On/Off buttons; I think the On & Off switch Alternate 2 looks much better than Alternate 1.

In OverlayHD 1.64 I don’t know if the random ‘flashing’ in the corners of the four bottom coloured buttons is something that crept in somehow some time ago & if it can be easily corrected. It appears to be some sort of background video bleed through at the outside of the button corners. For a quality skin like OverlayHD, it just doesn’t look right when it happens. When it happens, it appears worse on the U4/TV combination than on the T2/TV combination.
Dennis
U4, Bluey USB tuner, WizTV > Yamaha RX-V3900 > Sony KDL46X2000 TV ||
U4, Bluey USB tuner > Sony KD-43X85J TV > Yamaha YAS-209 || FTA EPG ||
Harmony 650s || (U4s on 19.3.20200901 & T2 on 19.3.20200823) ||
Technicolor DJA0230TLS modem/router, Ethernet LAN, Win10 Home 64 ||

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Sat Aug 04, 2018 03:09

Hi Dennis,

The flashing/sparkling around the edges of images is resolved in 1.66+ as a result of changing the alphatest="on" attribute to alphatest="blend" in all images.

Regards,
Ian.

sub3R
Wizard

Post by sub3R » Sat Aug 04, 2018 19:59

That’s good to know Ian. Nice work. :)
Dennis

sub3R
Wizard

Post by sub3R » Fri Aug 24, 2018 21:27

Hi Ian,

I have just updated our U4 & T2 to beta f/w 17.5 20180823 (with OverlayHD 1.64). When running some scripts after this upgrade I noticed that in File Commander the file list header area was blank (no path, permissions etc.). I suspected that this was work in progress in your next version of OverlayHD, so I checked the in-build skins to see if this was the case or if something had gone missing in this latest beta.

When checking this in 'easy-skin-aus-hd' I noticed that the permissions only show, for example, as ‘-rwxr-xr-x’ instead of Octal ‘755’ like the older File Commander version did.

Do you intend to follow suit with OverlayHD & not show the Octal permissions number in the File Commander file list header? The reason I ask is because I find the Octal permissions number easier to see at a glance to tell if a script is currently executable or not, than the way it is now shown in the File Commander file list header of 'easy-skin-aus-hd', & think it would be a shame to lose this.
Dennis

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri Aug 24, 2018 22:46

sub3R wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 21:27
Do you intend to follow suit with OverlayHD & not show the Octal permissions number in the File Commander file list header? The reason I ask is because I find the Octal permissions number easier to see at a glance to tell if a script is currently executable or not, than the way it is now shown in the File Commander file list header of 'easy-skin-aus-hd', & think it would be a shame to lose this.

The skin can show the symbolic mode, octal mode or both in the list header, but there's not a lot of spare space. Previously the content was decided entirely in the code.

I prefer the symbolic view, and I think it's a little less geeky than the octal. The octal mode has also been extended to 4 digits to show the state of the setuid, setgid and sticky bits, though they will be 0 on the large majority of files. The symbolic version also reflects those bits (e.g. 4755, rwsr-xr-x).

I think IanSav has an implementation of the header changes in OverlayHD needed for the new version of File Commander (and for backward compatibility to the old one), but I don't think it's in a release yet.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Sat Aug 25, 2018 00:02

sub3R wrote:
...The reason I ask is because I find the Octal permissions number easier to see at a glance to tell if a script is currently executable or not, ...

You shouldn't need to worry about a script not having execute permissions when running it in FileCommander, as prl fixed that a while back.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Sat Aug 25, 2018 00:51

Hi Dennis,
sub3R wrote:
I have just updated our U4 & T2 to beta f/w 17.5 20180823 (with OverlayHD 1.64). When running some scripts after this upgrade I noticed that in File Commander the file list header area was blank (no path, permissions etc.). I suspected that this was work in progress in your next version of OverlayHD, so I checked the in-build skins to see if this was the case or if something had gone missing in this latest beta.
I have OverlayHD 1.66 almost ready to go. Unfortunately I am seeing a crash in one of the converters but I can't see a bug in OverlayHD that triggers it. The infoRecBm is poorly written and has no error detection or protection code. I am still investigating. The bug causes a crash when two sequential timers run on the same service and triggers when the second timer in the sequence starts. infoRecBm gets called with a None parameter that it doesn't understand and just crashes. I think the bug may not be in my code but could be in the timer starting pop ups.
sub3R wrote:
When checking this in 'easy-skin-aus-hd' I noticed that the permissions only show, for example, as ‘-rwxr-xr-x’ instead of Octal ‘755’ like the older File Commander version did.

OverlayHD 1.66 and later show both the symbolic and octal values using the facility that Prl baked into the new code.. ;)

Regards,
Ian.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat Aug 25, 2018 09:42

Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 00:02
sub3R wrote:
...The reason I ask is because I find the Octal permissions number easier to see at a glance to tell if a script is currently executable or not, ...

You shouldn't need to worry about a script not having execute permissions when running it in FileCommander, as prl fixed that a while back.

I'm a little puzzled by the claim, too, because the execute bit is set for octal digits 1, 3, 5 & 7, and though 3 is a slightly unusual combination, write and execute, but not read, the other three are quite sensible combinations.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Return to “Skins”