Access to Root folder

Moderators: Gully, peteru

Gerhardp1
Apprentice

Access to Root folder

Post by Gerhardp1 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 09:33

beyonwiz.jpg
What is the username /password to gain access via windows explorer.

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Re: Access to Root folder

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Sat Apr 01, 2017 09:53

It's in the firmware notice -
Wiz HQ wrote:...
ENHANCEMENTS
* SMB/CIFS (Windows networking) enhancements to improve security (root directory requires a username "beyonwiz" and password "beyonwiz" now ) and improve network browsing visibility
A search for windows or root would've found it

david1st
Apprentice

Post by david1st » Tue Apr 18, 2017 01:17

I read almost everything in the new firmware update forum when the update first came out, noted it down and used it to try to login into the CIFS root folder after upgrading. It's a shame it didn't work. The change network password option did work, but only on about the 25th attempt. That screen is extremely ambiguous and its operation is clunky to say the least. NOTHING could enable me to login in to the root folder. I needed this in order to replace some carefully handcrafted timers and bouquets. Fortunately I'd backed up the backup folder and kept a copy of the previous firmware. I went back to the last version of the firmware and restored my backup. Time lost: 4 hours. Result: Nil. Happiness: Zero. It might be OK for a linux whiz, but it is not ready for even a pretty savvy consumer. I spent many hours customising the machine in minute detail over the first few months after I bought it and I enjoyed the experience, but the necessity to do it all again is extremely unwelcome.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Tue Apr 18, 2017 01:29

david1st wrote:I read almost everything in the new firmware update forum when the update first came out, noted it down and used it to try to login into the CIFS root folder after upgrading. It's a shame it didn't work. The change network password option did work, but only on about the 25th attempt. That screen is extremely ambiguous and its operation is clunky to say the least. NOTHING could enable me to login in to the root folder. I needed this in order to replace some carefully handcrafted timers and bouquets. Fortunately I'd backed up the backup folder and kept a copy of the previous firmware. I went back to the last version of the firmware and restored my backup. Time lost: 4 hours. Result: Nil. Happiness: Zero. It might be OK for a linux whiz, but it is not ready for even a pretty savvy consumer. I spent many hours customising the machine in minute detail over the first few months after I bought it and I enjoyed the experience, but the necessity to do it all again is extremely unwelcome.
It's a Windows limitation that won't allow a Windows client to authenticate with a SMB server with more than one username/password at a time. And at the time, your PC had authenticated with the Wiz as your Windows login user name. The workaround is to connect with the IP address rather than the network name. (open Explorer and connect to "\\<ipaddress of your Wiz>\root"). That tricks Windows into thinking the Wiz represents 2 different servers (Windows Explorer can't tell that the IP and the network name are the same server).

You can also use ftp if you prefer.

I am not sure what you mean by "The change network password option did work, but only on about the 25th attempt" though....

You can also edit the /etc/samba/smb.conf file and remove the requirement to authenticate from the root share, so that it works like the 4,4 firmware as well if you like.

We can help you out and save you some time if you ask questions here on the forum :)
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

david1st
Apprentice

Post by david1st » Tue Apr 18, 2017 01:42

In my Windows 10 there is the option to login using different credentials. It didn't work.

I got the syntax of your other suggested option wrong, so that didn't work either.

Change Network Password: Whether to press OK or Exit is not obvious. The fact that going back in doesn't show me the last successfully entered password, but a randomly selected one is just plain confusing.

Reverting to the previous firmware is not optimal, but I'm sticking with it for the time being, because it works and I don't have to re-do all that work.

Note; Photographing configuration screens is difficult. Using a tripod, reducing camera brightness and setting ISO speed to the lowest gives a passable image.

david1st
Apprentice

Post by david1st » Tue Apr 18, 2017 01:48

Oh, I forgot. Editing the /etc/samba/smb.conf file is a good idea - AFTER I've got access to the root folder.

Chicken / Egg???

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Tue Apr 18, 2017 01:50

david1st wrote:In my Windows 10 there is the option to login using different credentials. It didn't work.
Windows will ask for credentials, but since it has already connected to the Wiz as your Windows login user, it will not be able to use the new credentials. Believe me, I see the same thing. It asks for a password and will reject it. You will notice that the error will mention something about connecting to the same resource as a different user. Windows XP was a little better behaved in this regard.
david1st wrote: I got the syntax of your other suggested option wrong, so that didn't work either.
It should work ok on your next attempt then.
david1st wrote: Change Network Password: Whether to press OK or Exit is not obvious. The fact that going back in doesn't show me the last successfully entered password, but a randomly selected one is just plain confusing.
I'm still not sure what you are referring to there. Can you tell me where you are trying to do this?

It's not at "MENU->Setup->Network->Password" is it? If so, then that is not the password that is used for the SMB file sharing. That password is for the Wiz's "root" user which is used to log in with ftp, telnet or ssh. SMB (Windows networking) uses a different set of passwords.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Tue Apr 18, 2017 01:51

david1st wrote:Oh, I forgot. Editing the /etc/samba/smb.conf file is a good idea - AFTER I've got access to the root folder.

Chicken / Egg???
The idea is that you could use the IP address workaround that I mentioned to make that change.

Alternatively you can telnet into the Wiz and edit it directly with a text editor.

david1st
Apprentice

Post by david1st » Tue Apr 18, 2017 02:17

"You will notice that the error will mention something about connecting to the same resource as a different user. "

Tried it - no banana. Even with the correct login and password.

Not interested in learning telnet for one use. I'm 63 next month and too damn cranky.

I'll try loading the update again someday, when my enthusiasm recovers.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Tue Apr 18, 2017 02:24

david1st wrote:"You will notice that the error will mention something about connecting to the same resource as a different user. "

Actually I just tried it again, and it is giving me a simple bad password error now too. It's the same fault, just a less useful message. (I used to receive a different and more informative message). Must have been a Windows 10 update that changed that behaviour recently.

dRdoS7
Wizard

Post by dRdoS7 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 09:46

Hi,
Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Wiz HQ wrote:...
ENHANCEMENTS
* SMB/CIFS (Windows networking) enhancements to improve security (root directory requires a username "beyonwiz" and password "beyonwiz" now ) and improve network browsing visibility
I don't understand how this has improved security.

The user & pw are freely available.

It appears to have created problems for quite a few people.

In my case, I could easily use WinSCP with all 3 T2s, it now will not work with either that have been updated to V16.1.

I had trouble with shares that previously worked, but using the same settings, did not with v16.1. It was caused by incorrect DNS (Google), but it had not been a problem with V4.4.

dRdoS7

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:14

dRdoS7 wrote: I don't understand how this has improved security.

Entirely true. What it helps prevent, is accidental corruption of the Wiz's root file system.

A user could accidentally change critical files without thinking, or with some automated tool (or malware infection) that was designed for another purpose. This way, someone must consciously enter the password before proceeding. It is a safety step, and it by no means intended as a serious barrier to malicious third party intrusion.

As stated before, the alternatives are:
a) no security, and thus vulnerable to accidental damage as-per 4.4 (and Beyonwiz has decided that this was no longer an option).
b) only share movie and don't share the root at all (that would also not be popular I imagine).
c) make it so that a username and password is required to access both Movie and root (inconvenient)
d) share both movie and root, but allow normal access to movie, and password protect root against accidents (what was done)

d) was chosen. Unfortunately, users of more recent versions of Windows encounter issues with accessing root occasionally due to Microsoft's design decisions surrounding SMB. It was thought that anyone who required access to the root share was a savvy enough user to work around any problems with the right help.

c) may have been an option at the expense of some convenience, for the sake of Windows users.

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 13:11

david1st wrote:"You will notice that the error will mention something about connecting to the same resource as a different user. "

Not interested in learning telnet for one use. I'm 63 next month and too damn cranky.

I'm the same age and equally cranky so the root access password changes really annoyed me too. But once I got access via windows I used Editpad Lite 7 to edit the config file back to the 4.4 settings.

Works perfectly for my internal home network.
Paul
Samsung QA65Q80TAWXXY 4K TV
Samsung HW Q800BXY soundbar
OverlayHD 1.70, IceTV, Foxtel IQ4
2 x Win7 PCs, 2 x Win10 PCs
Denon AVR -X2400H

nylonnet
Master

Post by nylonnet » Tue Apr 18, 2017 15:26

MrQuade wrote:
david1st wrote:IThe workaround is to connect with the IP address rather than the network name. (open Explorer and connect to "\\<ipaddress of your Wiz>\root"). That tricks Windows into thinking the Wiz represents 2 different servers (Windows Explorer can't tell that the IP and the network name are the same server).
Ah - there's the black magic I needed. Before the latest firmware, I could map a PC to my T3 and copy files from the T3 to my other computers - after the 'upgrade' the "MiniDLNA server" network device disappeared and my T3 went dark: nothing could discover it.

I spent most of today checking DNS settings on my router, changing T3 hostnames and passwords, turning NFS/CIFS/Samba on and off - all in an increasingly-desperate and dangerous random quest for results.

(What ARE these terms, BTW? I can't find any explanation of Beyonwiz's NFS, Samba, CISF, mountpoints et al anywhere.)

But - finally thanks to MrQuade - I managed to see my T3 again via its (static) \\IP address\root.

I'd love it if someone could clearly explain how NFS, CIFS, Samba, mountpoints etc on the Wiz relate to a Windows LAN.
- What does each one do?
- Does the Wiz need to be restarted to enable changes?
- If I change the root password to <empty>, why does the Wiz not warn me that it can't be empty?
Stuff like that.

One enduring drawback of the Wiz family is that - once the user enters the setup menu - the box still assumes its users are geeknerd techies who are au fait with exotic networking terms. It is still quite some distance from being a grandpa-friendly home appliance.

Also, if firmware changes (such as making a password compulsory) will break users' existing setups (e.g. network access), I'd suggest that such events are announced onscreen in comforting LARGE RED TEXT where they cannot be easily overlooked by keen upgraders who assume that business-as-usual will be resumed after the upgrade.

Regards,
Mark (aged 59 - also cranky)
Wiz U4 (500GB SSD)
- ASUS VIVOMINI VC65R-G002M as a download/media server
- Harmony 650
- Synology DS-418 (36TB) NAS
- Panasonic Viera 55" plasma TV
- Yamaha RX-565 receiver / amp
- Subaru BRZ
- Coolmax socks, Bonds jocks.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Tue Apr 18, 2017 16:00

nylonnet wrote: Ah - there's the black magic I needed. Before the latest firmware, I could map a PC to my T3 and copy files from the T3 to my other computers - after the 'upgrade' the "MiniDLNA server" network device disappeared and my T3 went dark: nothing could discover it.
Operation of the MiniDLNA server shouldn't have been affected by any of this. That is a separate protocol (and best not used IMHO).
nylonnet wrote: I spent most of today checking DNS settings on my router, changing T3 hostnames and passwords, turning NFS/CIFS/Samba on and off - all in an increasingly-desperate and dangerous random quest for results.

(What ARE these terms, BTW? I can't find any explanation of Beyonwiz's NFS, Samba, CISF, mountpoints et al anywhere.)
CIFS/SMB are essentially the Windows file sharing protocol. The terminology is a bit muddled, but that is what they mean for practical purposes.
Samba is the software that implements CIFS/SMB on free operating systems like Linux.
NFS is "Network File System" and is the more Unixy way to share files on a network. It has a lower overhead, but assumes a more integrated network environment, whereas CIFS/SMB is more suited to ad-hoc file sharing arrangements.
A "mount" is a term used to describe linking a file system into the main root filesystem. If you plug a USB device into a Linux PC, it will be automatically "mounted" into the main filesystem somewhere so that the user can access it. When you mount a network share on a Wiz, you are attaching that remote file system onto your Wiz's own file system so that you can access the files on the remote (network) share.
nylonnet wrote: But - finally thanks to MrQuade - I managed to see my T3 again via its (static) \\IP address\root.
Part of your problem might be a broken SMB master browser on your network. The master browser can be any one of your Windows/SMB devices that has been elected (by all the other devices) as the master. All devices ask the master for lists of other SMB devices on the network. If your master is confused, or doesn't have up to date info, then all the other devices running SMB can have trouble finding each-other. There are ways to prioritise some devices as masters over others when it comes to elections, and it is sometimes worth tweaking some settings to ensure that well behaved devices get the job (I let my NAS do this, as it is always-on and generally well behaved).
nylonnet wrote: - Does the Wiz need to be restarted to enable changes?
Depends on what you are changing. If you are just setting up mounts, then no. If you are changing the file sharing options on the Wiz, then often the Samba services need to be restarted, and the Wiz will do that for you. Sometimes a reboot is good "just to make sure" though.
nylonnet wrote: - If I change the root password to <empty>, why does the Wiz not warn me that it can't be empty?
The root password (for the root "user") is already empty straight out of the box.
The password for the "root" share on the Wiz can also be empty, or effectively switched off if you will. You have to manually edit the /etc/samba/smb.conf file to do that though. There isn't a GUI or web interface to do this.
nylonnet wrote: One enduring drawback of the Wiz family is that - once the user enters the setup menu - the box still assumes its users are geeknerd techies who are au fait with exotic networking terms. It is still quite some distance from being a grandpa-friendly home appliance.
It does get a bit much sometimes I agree. In some ways it would be nice if all the jagged edges were smoothed off for a simpler end user experience. On the other hand, by exposing its guts, the T series can be used for a lot of diverse purposes if a user wants to dig for it.
The biggest benefit is that since it is all open, the really clever users can contribute and improve on the experience themselves. Try that with a Sony, or Samsung! ;)
nylonnet wrote: Also, if firmware changes (such as making a password compulsory) will break users' existing setups (e.g. network access), I'd suggest that such events are announced onscreen in comforting LARGE RED TEXT where they cannot be easily overlooked by keen upgraders who assume that business-as-usual will be resumed after the upgrade.
The release notes could have highlighted that a bit better that's for sure. But since this was an offline-only update, then on-screen warnings would be a bit redundant I think.

I have been kicking myself that I didn't actually sit down and compile a list of gochas for this big release. As a beta-tester, I think that would have been good to relay all the findings we encountered on our own 6 month journey to release.

Things like
Finding and preparing a proper USB stick
Changes to Samba file sharing (and workarounds)
Changes to aspect ratio settings
Guide for retaining Timers
etc...

nylonnet
Master

Post by nylonnet » Tue Apr 18, 2017 16:09

Many thanks for the detailed and thoughtful reply. Much appreciated.

This information would be valuable in the manual and online help as well as being deep-buried in the forums.

Regards,
Mark
Wiz U4 (500GB SSD)
- ASUS VIVOMINI VC65R-G002M as a download/media server
- Harmony 650
- Synology DS-418 (36TB) NAS
- Panasonic Viera 55" plasma TV
- Yamaha RX-565 receiver / amp
- Subaru BRZ
- Coolmax socks, Bonds jocks.

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 17:50

MrQuade wrote:
nylonnet wrote: ... after the 'upgrade' the "MiniDLNA server" network device disappeared and my T3 went dark: nothing could discover it.
Operation of the MiniDLNA server shouldn't have been affected by any of this. That is a separate protocol (and best not used IMHO).
In my travels through the Beta phase on the T4, around the time of the change of OPKG version, I had the DLNA server not install correctly more than once. When accessing the menu for DLNA settings an install popup arose, afterwhich it became available again. Assumed it was a dud usb install and nothing bad happened. PS - I always turn DLNA off which is why I went to that menu.

I suspect an incomplete installation is what nylonnet is describing.
Paul
Denon AVR -X2400H

dRdoS7
Wizard

Post by dRdoS7 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 19:12

Hi,
Paul_oz53 wrote:

I'm the same age and equally cranky so the root access password changes really annoyed me too.
Me too, but maybe not so cranky. Yet,
But once I got access via windows I used Editpad Lite 7 to edit the config file back to the 4.4 settings.

Works perfectly for my internal home network.
Paul
What did you edit in the config?
MrQuade wrote:
dRdoS7 wrote: I don't understand how this has improved security.

Entirely true. What it helps prevent, is accidental corruption of the Wiz's root file system.

A user could accidentally change critical files without thinking, or with some automated tool (or malware infection) that was designed for another purpose. This way, someone must consciously enter the password before proceeding. It is a safety step, and it by no means intended as a serious barrier to malicious third party intrusion.

As stated before, the alternatives are:
a) no security, and thus vulnerable to accidental damage as-per 4.4 (and Beyonwiz has decided that this was no longer an option).
b) only share movie and don't share the root at all (that would also not be popular I imagine).
c) make it so that a username and password is required to access both Movie and root (inconvenient)
d) share both movie and root, but allow normal access to movie, and password protect root against accidents (what was done)

d) was chosen. Unfortunately, users of more recent versions of Windows encounter issues with accessing root occasionally due to Microsoft's design decisions surrounding SMB. It was thought that anyone who required access to the root share was a savvy enough user to work around any problems with the right help.

c) may have been an option at the expense of some convenience, for the sake of Windows users.
It may have been better to offer: (e) Choose you own option! With (a) as the default.

After all, corruption would be down to the user, and a USB FW would probably fix it.

Thanks,

dRdoS7.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Tue Apr 18, 2017 19:24

dRdoS7 wrote: What did you edit in the config?
Most likely just changed "guest ok = yes" like you did.
dRdoS7 wrote: It may have been better to offer: (e) Choose you own option! With (a) as the default.

After all, corruption would be down to the user, and a USB FW would probably fix it.
Not a practical thing to implement unfortunately. Though it it were, it would be more likely default to b). The default state would be the more secure one.

david1st
Apprentice

Post by david1st » Tue Apr 18, 2017 20:50

Two-bob Guide to Windows Browse Master operation.

Windows Peer to Peer Networking has always been a bit quick and dirty. One thing it used to do, and almost certainly still does, is all that guff about a Browse Master. The MS tech manuals from long ago (think W95, W98 or maybe even W3.11), explained it quite well and I doubt it's changed very much.

There has to be a list of where everything is on the network. This is the job of the Browse Master. This is just one of the computers that has been elected by the others to be the one that stores that list. The manual said that it was the most powerful of the lot, so MS clearly used to think that might was right. (clearly before Android started kicking its butt.)

Of course, nowadays many of us don't leave any of our computers on all the time, so when we put the Browse Master into standby, it ceases to be able to share that list around and another Browse Master has to be elected.

Here's the rub: Being a Microsoft way of doing things, they made it all amazingly slow and inefficient. I've seen networks where everything had to be booted up for 20 minutes before all computers were visible, so you have to wait and rebooting just makes you wait longer.

I did find a registry setting ages ago that forced a particular computer to be the Browse Master. I can probably still dig it out if anybody's interested.

The computer that's most likely to be running (fairly) consistently is the Beyonwiz, so making that the permanent Browse Master probably makes the most sense. Which is where I defer to the people here who know more about Linux networking in general and Samba networking in particular.

david1st
Apprentice

Post by david1st » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:59

There is an ability in Win 10 to delete stored server login details.

This should remove the necessity to use workarounds to access the root folder in machines using the new firmware.

Press [Windows Key] X to bring up hidden command window.

Select 'Command Prompt (Admin)'

Copy this to the clipboard (highlight it, then press [Control] C)

rundll32.exe keymgr.dll,KRShowKeyMgr

Paste it into the command prompt window ([Control] V) and press [Enter]

This should bring up the 'Stored Usernames and Passwords' utility.

Be careful here! If you don't know what something is, LEAVE IT ALONE!

Press the Backup button to save the list in its current state.

Select the Beyonwiz login.

Press remove.

All done. You should be able to login to the Beyonwiz with the login and password (beyonwiz beyonwiz)

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:15

MrQuade wrote:
dRdoS7 wrote: What did you edit in the config?
Most likely just changed "guest ok = yes" like you did.
Yes, that's what I changed.
Denon AVR -X2400H

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Thu Apr 20, 2017 13:31

Hi David1st,

Thank you for your most informative post.

I will be trying your instructions out as they are a very useful concept for a PC maintenance toolkit.

Regards,
Ian.

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Thu Apr 20, 2017 13:39

IanSav wrote:Hi David1st,

Thank you for your most informative post.

I will be trying your instructions out as they are a very useful concept for a PC maintenance toolkit.

Regards,
Ian.
I believe it's the same as Windows Credential Manager (Control Panel > User Accounts > Credential Manager)

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Thu Apr 20, 2017 18:45

Hi Geoff,
Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
IanSav wrote:I believe it's the same as Windows Credential Manager (Control Panel > User Accounts > Credential Manager)
That may well be so but I am still very new at Windows 10. Is this new for Windows 10? I still mainly use Windows XP but I am coming to grips with an update shift directly to Windows 10.

I appreciate seeing handy hints on any topic, and grab a copy, when I note them.

Regards,
Ian.

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Thu Apr 20, 2017 19:16

IanSav wrote:Hi Geoff,
Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
IanSav wrote:I believe it's the same as Windows Credential Manager (Control Panel > User Accounts > Credential Manager)
That may well be so but I am still very new at Windows 10. Is this new for Windows 10? I still mainly use Windows XP but I am coming to grips with an update shift directly to Windows 10.

I appreciate seeing handy hints on any topic, and grab a copy, when I note them.

Regards,
Ian.
A Google search shows it's been there since Windows 7.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Thu Apr 20, 2017 19:39

david1st wrote: All done. You should be able to login to the Beyonwiz with the login and password (beyonwiz beyonwiz)
Unfortunately, this issue is not a problem to do with saved credentials, and doesn't work.

This affects credentials that have not been saved and are merely cached in memory after first accessing the wiz.

You can force Windows to forget by restarting one of the services (I've forgotten which one now).
EDIT: Ahh here is it, the "Workstation" service. (doing so is not always successful though).

Better long-term solutions are to:
a) use a different file access protocol (ftp, sftp, scp)
b) access the root share by IP rather than name
c) edit smb.conf to allow guest access to root
d) edit smb.conf to only allow authenticated access to movie
e) edit smb.conf to set up whatever new share you want to have (eg. harddisk as per 4.4)
f) add your windows user and password to the samba users file so that your "guest" account is authenticated properly

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Thu Apr 20, 2017 20:53

Given how many issues the default 16.1 config is causing for Win10 users, I'm considering changing the default config for 17.1 series. Two options spring to mind:
  1. Export [Movie] as read/write to guest users.
    [Root] is not exported via Samba at all. Access to the system dirs will need to use alternative methods, such as FTP or ssh.
  2. Export [Movie] as read/write to guest users.
    Export [Root] as read-only to guest users. This will allow users to see the of system directories, including logs, but any modifications in the system dirs will need to use alternative methods, such as FTP or ssh.
Benefit with both options is that there is no need to manage separate Samba passwords, which should simplify things.

Feedback?

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Thu Apr 20, 2017 21:08

Perhaps a variation of option 2?
Share out movie as-is, and share the /home/root/logs as read/write.

You could include some other shares in smb.conf and leave them commented out.

That lets novice users gain very easy access to the crashlogs for reporting purposes.
For other logs, then ftp would be required.

Could I also suggest that "nano" be installed by default as well. That is a much friendlier text editor that people can use to directly edit files from the command line.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Fri Apr 21, 2017 00:24

Hi PeterU,
peteru wrote:Given how many issues the default 16.1 config is causing for Win10 users, I'm considering changing the default config for 17.1 series. Two options spring to mind:
  1. Export [Movie] as read/write to guest users.
    [Root] is not exported via Samba at all. Access to the system dirs will need to use alternative methods, such as FTP or ssh.
  2. Export [Movie] as read/write to guest users.
    Export [Root] as read-only to guest users. This will allow users to see the of system directories, including logs, but any modifications in the system dirs will need to use alternative methods, such as FTP or ssh.
Benefit with both options is that there is no need to manage separate Samba passwords, which should simplify things.

Feedback?
I suspect that most current users would prefer option 2 as they get to keep read access to all the files they think they might need. For many users option 1 is likely to be all they need.

The disadvantage of option 2 is that if you can see the files but get errors when you try to edit them then people will complain. The follow up question will then be on how can this be done. Bring on the how do I edit those files with FTP, Telnet, etc. questions. Again a significant support issue.

I think you are in a damned if you do damned if you don't scenario. The most appropriate way forward may be to go with option 1 and keep life simple for the bulk of users. That includes the many users who never come here or try the more advanced uses that are often discussed here.

For users who want to see the rest of the files on the hard disk we could have a Setup option that could offer your option 2 or even the current 16.1 style of configuration. Part of the enabling code should be a screen that tells users exactly what to expect for the option they select. Unix / Linux users who know how to drive the system could easily configure the system exactly as they want. (It would be appropriate to ensure that the backup system correctly captures the users preferences and configuration settings.)

Regards,
Ian.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Fri Apr 21, 2017 00:32

Hi MrQuade,
MrQuade wrote:Could I also suggest that "nano" be installed by default as well. That is a much friendlier text editor that people can use to directly edit files from the command line.
While your other suggestions have merit I believe that making it easier for users to edit system files is not a particularly good idea. I suspect that PeterU and Jai are trying to reduce the support load and limit the sort of issues that can typically occur. Making it easier for users to access system files and edit them as well is likely to end in tears and / or regrets for many.

Here again, users with enough knowledge to safely modify the system files will be able to install nano or drive vi etc. Extra access is not being barred or blocked. It is just being made less confusing for users with no, or little interest, in such things.

Regards,
Ian.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Fri Apr 21, 2017 02:12

IanSav wrote:H
While your other suggestions have merit I believe that making it easier for users to edit system files is not a particularly good idea.
My thinking is that it *should* be easy to edit system files. There are many tinkering-class users on the forums who often need to edit the files, but would find vi's interface daunting. It's just that it shouldn't be easy to accidentally change system files, which is what removing the shares will help to do.

Just a suggestion anyway, it only takes a second or two to install.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Fri Apr 21, 2017 03:31

Hi MrQuade,
MrQuade wrote:My thinking is that it *should* be easy to edit system files. There are many tinkering-class users on the forums who often need to edit the files, but would find vi's interface daunting. It's just that it shouldn't be easy to accidentally change system files, which is what removing the shares will help to do.
If there is common, significant or appropriate need for editing system files then a UI interface should be created to manage the task.

Regards,
Ian.

dRdoS7
Wizard

Post by dRdoS7 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 07:18

Hi,
peteru wrote:Given how many issues the default 16.1 config is causing for Win10 users, I'm considering changing the default config for 17.1 series.

Feedback?
Share "Harddisk" as it was in v4.4, put a link to "Logs" in "Harddisk".

Share "Root" as per Option 2 (now that MrQuade has sussed why WinSCP didn't work with v16.1).

Thanks,

dRdoS7

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Fri Apr 21, 2017 08:49

IanSav wrote: If there is common, significant or appropriate need for editing system files then a UI interface should be created to manage the task.
Totally agreed with that, but that is a MIGHTY ask that not even the big boys like Ubuntu and Red Hat have solved yet. ;)

Anyway, like I said earlier, it was just a suggestion, I don't want to get OT and discuss this any further.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri Apr 21, 2017 09:24

dRdoS7 wrote:...
There isn't a unique place where logs are put, and there isn't necessarily a HDD.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Fri Apr 21, 2017 13:25

For option #2, is it possible to have 2 different shares for the root path with -
(i) [Root] as read-only to guest users, and
(ii) [Root-RW] as read/write to the beyonwiz user
?

Cheers
Geoff

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Fri Apr 21, 2017 13:31

Grumpy_Geoff wrote:For option #2, is it possible to have 2 different shares for the root path with -
It's technically *possible*. Starts looking a bit messy, but one trick would be to provide the R/W share as a hidden/invisible share.

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Fri Apr 21, 2017 16:58

So far option 1. seems like the most sensible one. Even more so if you consider that we are trying to provide an out of the box experience that is friendly enough to non-technical users.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Fri Apr 21, 2017 17:15

peteru wrote:So far option 1. seems like the most sensible one. Even more so if you consider that we are trying to provide an out of the box experience that is friendly enough to non-technical users.
Probably right. Though I would still recommend including the root share in place in smb.conf, but commented out.

My earlier suggestion of also allowing access to the logs could easily be replaced with a simple instruction to type ftp://beyonwizt<x>/home/root/logs in their browser address bar. Not exactly rocket surgery.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri Apr 21, 2017 17:28

MrQuade wrote:... My earlier suggestion of also allowing access to the logs could easily be replaced with a simple instruction to type ftp://beyonwizt<x>/home/root/logs in their browser address bar. Not exactly rocket surgery.
It needs qualification for people with routers that don't do DNS for their home network. I couldn't find any facility to do that on the Huawei HG658 that iiNet supplied me with for my iiNet/Transact VDSL2 connection only a year ago.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

dRdoS7
Wizard

Post by dRdoS7 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 17:36

Hi,
prl wrote:
There isn't a unique place where logs are put,

When we turn on Logging, doesn't it go to: \Root\home\root\logs? That's the one (crash logs) most are interested in. The rest can access via their favourite program.
and there isn't necessarily a HDD.
I realise that, and yet it was called "Harddisk" earlier, call it what you like. Just share it.

Thanks,

dRdoS7

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Fri Apr 21, 2017 18:00

dRdoS7 wrote: I realise that, and yet it was called "Harddisk" earlier, call it what you like. Just share it.
I think prl's point was that there might not be a physical harddisk to share.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri Apr 21, 2017 18:13

dRdoS7 wrote:Hi,
prl wrote:
There isn't a unique place where logs are put,

When we turn on Logging, doesn't it go to: \Root\home\root\logs? That's the one (crash logs) most are interested in. The rest can access via their favourite program.
The logging location is set in the same place where it's enabled. It can be set to any currently mounted file system. It simply defaults to "logs" in /home/root. On my test machines I always set it to /media/hdd, and the log files go into /media/hdd/logs.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri Apr 21, 2017 18:14

MrQuade wrote:
dRdoS7 wrote: I realise that, and yet it was called "Harddisk" earlier, call it what you like. Just share it.
I think prl's point was that there might not be a physical harddisk to share.
Precisely.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri May 12, 2017 12:43

Dummy post so that the forum indexes stop thinking that there's a new (but deleted) post from a spammer here to read. :roll:
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Return to “Official Firmware Images”