Whats the next step to gettting my network working?

Moderators: Gully, peteru

Videonut
Master

Whats the next step to gettting my network working?

Post by Videonut » Sat Aug 21, 2021 18:04

Every so often I have tried to get my V2 to connect to my PC so that I can play PC content on my TV which is in the living room. I have never been able to do this despite having both Wi-Fi & Ethernet connecting to the living room.

If I'm at PC I can see the V2 in Windows network area as well as on OpenWebIf.  For some time, I have been able to copy files from V2 to PC and paste things back again.

Today I was playing around with my very old Blu-ray player which inputs into the TV via a different HDMI port and was astonished to see that it had connected to my V2.  I know this because I was able to see & play the V2 content on the Blu-ray player.  All the recordings from the V2 would play, including yesterday's recordings, albeit in the wrong aspect ratio.

I feel that my networking settings are very close to being correct and working properly, where do I go from here?
Beyonwiz V2,TCL TV, Chromecast with Google TV, Samsung Blu-ray player, Harmony Remote,650.

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Re: Whats the next step to gettting my network working?

Post by Paul_oz53 » Sat Aug 21, 2021 20:09

At a guess, you haven't shared the Windows folder so Windows won't show it to the V2 or Windows has "password protected sharing" turned on.

Check Windows password protected sharing is turned off.

Right click on a windows folder and set it to be shared. In the pop-up ensure the user "Everyone" is listed and has read/write permission. I think this is under "advanced sharing".

Those steps are usually enough to get it working.
Samsung QA65Q80TAWXXY 4K TV
Samsung HW Q800BXY soundbar
OverlayHD 1.70, IceTV, Foxtel IQ4
2 x Win7 PCs, 2 x Win10 PCs
Denon AVR -X2400H

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Sat Aug 21, 2021 22:09

It shouldn't be necessary to turn off password protected sharing as long as you aren't trying to establish a guest connection to windows. Guest connections are pretty much being phased out now, so you should always connect with a username and password.

Make sure your shared folder on windows has access permissions set up for a valid user. Then use that username and password to access the windows PC from the V2's network browser and mount manager.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Sun Aug 22, 2021 17:43

MrQuade wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 22:09
It shouldn't be necessary to turn off password protected sharing as long as you aren't trying to establish a guest connection to windows. Guest connections are pretty much being phased out now, so you should always connect with a username and password.

Make sure your shared folder on windows has access permissions set up for a valid user. Then use that username and password to access the windows PC from the V2's network browser and mount manager.

Yeah, the alternative is to create a user account for the Beyonwiz and assign a password, which is what happens with my setup but it does involve more steps to get it working.
Samsung QA65Q80TAWXXY 4K TV
Samsung HW Q800BXY soundbar
OverlayHD 1.70, IceTV, Foxtel IQ4
2 x Win7 PCs, 2 x Win10 PCs
Denon AVR -X2400H

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Sun Aug 22, 2021 18:36

Paul_oz53 wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 17:43
Yeah, the alternative is to create a user account for the Beyonwiz and assign a password, which is what happens with my setup but it does involve more steps to get it working.
By this stage it is the lowest-hassle option too. Every major Windows update will revert the "require password" setting for security reasons, meaning you'd have to re-visit it regularly.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

Return to “Networking”