Intermittent Problem seeing T4 from U4

Moderators: Gully, peteru

Altimes
Master

Intermittent Problem seeing T4 from U4

Post by Altimes » Fri Jun 14, 2019 17:51

I've had an intermittent issue with the bedroom U4 accessing the main T4. Typically a popup saying
"/media/autofs/MovieBEYONWIZT4 does not exist" after about ~30 seconds of the spinner.
Until recently, using Yellow from the media list display and then reselecting
MovieBEYONWIZ would eventually succeed in producing the expected media list (usually 3 times was
the trick). Now, however, it seems stuck :( . With the qualifier that, "sometimes"...... I can get it up by
browsing down through the autofs directory...

I have tried deleting and re-browsing for and adding the mount point, all of which succeeds but with no success when
trying to access the remote T4 for recordings (the T4 is permanently on). I have browsed through the log
files, but nothing jumps out at me. I have just tried modifying the mount qualifiers for the T4 on the U4, to include ",vers=3.0",
sadly to no avail.

The U4 can access a local PC and NAS on the same network (all wired) with no delays which would probably rule out any
physical networking issues.

Does anyone have a diagnosis sequence and/or places to look for messages to reveal what the underlying
problem might be with sharing between Wizen ?

U4 beyonwiz 17.5.20190207 (17.5-819-gdd3f1fa)
T4 beyonwiz 17.5.20190207 (17.5-819-gdd3f1fa)

Alan.

T4, 4TB
U4, (small SSD)
IceTV EPG
LG OLED65E8PTA
Akai AK5021S6WOS
Sony HT DDWG800
Wired Network via Telstra Max2 - ASUS RT-AX86U, Netgear DGND3700, GS108TV2, WNDR3700
Synology 918+

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Re: Intermittent Problem seeing T4 from U4

Post by MrQuade » Fri Jun 14, 2019 18:26

The "vers=xxx" shouldn't be required for any Wiz-to-Wiz mounts. That's just for Windows because it is fussy about security now.

If a mount initially fails, and then later works, it immediately makes it sound like perhaps the T4 is spinning its HDD down when idle. When you first access the T4, it needs time to spin back up before becoming available, which would mean that it would suddenly work on the 2nd or third attempt.

However, you say that the T4 is permanently "on"? Or do you mean on and in standby? If permanently on, then the HDD wouldn't be spinning down, and that theory goes out the window.

It also doesn't explain why it doesn't work at all now, but does when accessed via browsing through a different path. (other than maybe the browsing method takes longer and gives the drive more time to spin up).
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Fri Jun 14, 2019 18:37

MrQuade wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 18:26
However, you say that the T4 is permanently "on"? Or do you mean on and in standby? If permanently on, then the HDD wouldn't be spinning down, and that theory goes out the window.

The T4 disk could still be spinning down if the T4 is, for example, in the media listing and not timeshifting and not logging to disk - right?

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Fri Jun 14, 2019 19:58

Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 18:37

The T4 disk could still be spinning down if the T4 is, for example, in the media listing and not timeshifting and not logging to disk - right?
Sure, or timeshift being disabled. Anything that stops disk activity.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

Altimes
Master

Post by Altimes » Fri Jun 14, 2019 22:05

Thanks for the responses, the disk spinning up was something that I considered, and in some circumstances "may" have been a cause. However, when the better half is watching stuff off of the T4, then I was expecting semi-immediate response (which *is* what I am seeing when selecting the NAS when I know that it is active). It *feels* like there is some negotiation going on between the two Wizen that fails. I was hoping against hope that there might be a log entry to look into.

I have the suspicion that I have screwed up a config somewhere in the networking but I am struggling to guess where...

I could reload the firmware and restore, but then I am likely to be restoring a suspect config. Maybe I should just bite the bullet, refresh and setup from scratch again.....just a bit of tedious process.

Alan.

T4, 4TB
U4, (small SSD)
IceTV EPG
LG OLED65E8PTA
Akai AK5021S6WOS
Sony HT DDWG800
Wired Network via Telstra Max2 - ASUS RT-AX86U, Netgear DGND3700, GS108TV2, WNDR3700
Synology 918+

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Fri Jun 14, 2019 22:51

Altimes wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 22:05
I was hoping against hope that there might be a log entry to look into.

Logs (there may be others) -
/var/log/samba/log.nmbd & log.smbd, or onscreen via MENU>>Setup>>Network>>Samba>>BLUE/Show Log
Altimes wrote: I have the suspicion that I have screwed up a config somewhere in the networking but I am struggling to guess where...

The below two config files should have the same data, albeit in different formats:
/etc/enigma2/automounts.xml
/etc/auto.network

Return to “Networking”