FAQ: Creating, managing and using Favourites lists

Moderators: Gully, peteru

prl
Wizard God

FAQ: Creating, managing and using Favourites lists

Post by prl » Mon May 18, 2015 17:46

This FAQ is intended as a supplement to the Video " How to Enable Favourites"

It can be used either instead of, or together with, the video you want to do more with favourites than is shown in the video, or if you just prefer text instructions to videos.

Favourites and bouquets
By default, the T3 has 3 favourites lists that can be accesses in TV (rather than Radio) mode:
  • Terrestrial TV LCN - all scanned TV services
  • Favourites (TV) - empty
  • Last Scanned - all scanned services, both TV and radio.
In much of the T3 user interface, the term "bouquet" is used to mean a collection of digital services. Favourites lists are one kind of bouquet.

Favourites lists allow you to group services together, to hide services that you're not interested in and/or to order them in the way you want (e.g. put all services from the same broadcaster together in the list).

Using a Favourites list (or other bouquet)
Press TV from Live TV, or press BLUE Favourites from the channel list (FAV from Live TV).

Navigate to the Favourites list you want to use, and press OK.
Then navigate to any service in the list and press OK. If you have MENU>Setup>TV>Channel selection>Channel list preview set to ON, press OK again.
The Favourites list will now be selected for use in the channel list and in the EPG.

Pressing EXIT will cancel the Favourites list change and leave you in the Favourites list you were previously using.

Only the services in the Favourites list will appear in the channel list and EPG, and they will appear in the order they appear in the Favourites list.

There are other bouquets you can access from the list of Favourites lists (FAV or TV from Live TV) or from the channel list (UP or DOWN from Live TV) by pressing RED All, GREEN Satellites (which, oddly, also allows access to terrestrial broadcast services) and YELLOW Provider (select only the services from a particular broadcaster).

Creating a new empty Favourites list
Press TV from Live TV, or press BLUE Favourites from the channel list (FAV from Live TV).

Press MENU, and select "add bouquet" from the menu. You'll get a popup box to allow you to name the new Favourites list.

Adding services to a Favourites list

Navigate to a Favourites list that contains the services you want to add to (another) Favourites list and press OK. Terrestrial TV LCN is usually a good choice for this.

Then, for each service you want to add to a favourites list, navigate to the service you want to add, press MENU, and select "add service to bouquet".
You'll then get a menu with a list of all the Favourites lists. Navigate to the one you want to add the service to, and press OK. Keep doing this until you've added all the services you want in the Favourites list. The services will appear in the service list in the order you add them. If you make a mistake, don't worry, see the next section "Making changes to a Favourites list".

Making changes to a Favourites list
If you want to add services to an existing Favourites list, see above, "Adding services to a Favourites list". New services will be added at the end of the list. If that's not where you want them, read on.

Navigate to a Favourites list that you want to change and press OK.

Navigate to the service you want to change, then press MENU and select "rename entry" to change the name of an entry in the Favourites list, "remove entry" to remove a service from the Favourites list or "enable move mode" to reorder the Favourites list.
In move mode, you'll see a screen like the normal channel list for the Favourites list, except that it will be named "(TV) [move mode] NameOfFavouritesList".

In this mode, OK selects/deselects a service for moving. When you first enter move mode, the service you are currently highlighting may already be selected for moving. Press OK to deselect it if you want to move a different service. When a service is selected for moving, its text changes from white to dark red, and UP and DOWN move the selected service with the highlight. When the service is deselected for moving its text changes back to white and the highlight moves without moving the service.

Once a service is selected for moving (its text will be dark red) use UP and DOWN to move the selected item to where it should be, then press OK again to deselect it and leave it in the new position. If you want to move more services, navigate to the next one to be moved, press OK and proceed as before. Continue doing this until the list is in the order you want, then press MENU and select "disable move mode" to complete the changes.

It is strongly recommended that you do not delete or move entries in the Terrestrial TV LCN bouquet!
It is likely that the changes will just make a mess of the bouquet. Some people try to change this bouquet to reorder it into a more logical
order (e.g. group services by broadcaster) while maintaining the LCNs. Unfortunately this won't work. In fact, no matter how you try to do it, it's not possible to reorder a bouquet (any bouquet) so that it is both in an arbitrary order and it preserves the LCN numbering. The numbering in bouquets always increases down the list. The Terrestrial TV LCN bouquet only appears to use LCN numbering because it contains automatically-generated padding entries, which increase the number by one for each padding entry, but the padding entries don't appear on the screen. The presence of padding entries seems to make moves and deletes behave in unexpected ways.

Making changes to the list of Favourites lists

The MENU for this screen has "rename entry" , "remove entry" and "enable move mode" which act in a similar way to the same menu items in the menu within a Favourites list.

For more discussion of favourites lists, see also Channel Favourites
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

csutak40
Master

Re: FAQ: Creating, managing and using Favourites lists

Post by csutak40 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 02:05

I just KNOW that I have read about this somewhere, but now can't find it anywhere.

I followed the instructions above
"The Favourites list will now be selected for use in the channel list and in the EPG." and that part works fine, but...

When I click on EPG (or get to the EPG in any other way) I get the list of all of the bouquets, so I have to click on "favourites" to actually open that EPG.

Yet, on the T2 it opens the actual favourite boquet EPG (the bouquets look the same on both) which is why I am certain that there must be a way to set it to do that.

I suppose an extra click isn't going to kill me, it just annoys me that I can't figure it out.

Also, OT, but it also has to do about differences between the T2 & T4. On the T2 when I watch a show and stop it playing, it goes back to the Media list (and, unless I delete it, it bookmarks where I was up to)
When I watch something on the T4 and stop it, I get a list of options, which annoys me (because the remote is so uncooperative, it is a pain having to scroll down to pick my choice)
How do I set it up to act like the T2 does?
Attachments
2016-03-28_02-49-07.jpg
Cheers,
Judy

Beyonwiz V2 & T2
NetComm NF18ACV
D-Link NAS drives
HauppaugeTV HVR-2210
TV: Samsung UA55MU7000W
TV: Sharp Aquos LC37PD5X
TV: Sony KDL-46EX520
Panasonic DMR ES35V

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Mon Mar 28, 2016 02:08

Hi Judy,

While in the EPG press MENU and set "Show bouquet on launch" to "No" to disable the initial bouquet list and simply use the previously selected bouquet.

Regards,
Ian.

csutak40
Master

Post by csutak40 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 05:10

Thank you very much!
Cheers,
Judy

Beyonwiz V2 & T2
NetComm NF18ACV
D-Link NAS drives
HauppaugeTV HVR-2210
Panasonic DMR ES35V

csutak40
Master

Post by csutak40 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 19:09

IanSav wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2016 02:08
Hi Judy,

While in the EPG press MENU and set "Show bouquet on launch" to "No" to disable the initial bouquet list and simply use the previously selected bouquet.

Regards,
Ian.
I'm back again! I don't know if I'm doing anything wrong, or if something changed with the latest upgrade, but I can't get the Favourites bouquet to "stick". I change to it, open the EPG, it opens as favourites, but the next time I open the EPG, it opens as Terrestrial again
This is what the menu looks like
1_0_1_631_603_1014_EEEE0000_0_0_0.jpg
Cheers,
Judy

Beyonwiz V2 & T2
NetComm NF18ACV
D-Link NAS drives
HauppaugeTV HVR-2210
Panasonic DMR ES35V

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Jun 07, 2017 19:32

You need to select a channel in the new bouquet for it to "stick".
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

MarkR

Post by MarkR » Mon Nov 20, 2017 21:15

"Then, for each service you want to add to a favourites list, navigate to the service you want to add, press MENU, and select "add service to bouquet"."

THIS DOES NOT WORK!! Pressing the "Menu" button at this point brings up only the following options:
+ View mode
+ Channel preview mode
+ Show bouquet on launch
+ Picture in graphics
+ Highlight current events
+ Service Title mode
and about 20 others until you get to ...
+ Visible time period

... ie adding a service to a bouquet is NOT an option using these key presses on a T3.

I note that the original video mentioned deleting services from the Terrestrial LCN list, but does not mention how to do this, or where to find the instructions on how to do this. I would far rather do this (even if it needs to be redone), because having a one-button-press EPG is infinitely more preferable than having a two-button-press EPG.

A little (accurate!!!) help would be very much appreciated.

Cheers,

Mark

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Mon Nov 20, 2017 21:24

MarkR wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 21:15
"Then, for each service you want to add to a favourites list, navigate to the service you want to add, press MENU, and select "add service to bouquet"."

THIS DOES NOT WORK!! Pressing the "Menu" button at this point brings up only the following options:
+ View mode
+ Channel preview mode
+ Show bouquet on launch
+ Picture in graphics
+ Highlight current events
+ Service Title mode
You are pressing MENU from the wrong screen. You pressed it while viewing the EPG. You should be pressing it when you have the "Channel List" open.
To view the Channel List you need to press FAV from Live TV.

The rest of the instructions should make sense once you invoke MENU from the correct screen.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

jpp
Guru

Post by jpp » Mon Jul 01, 2019 20:25

Hi guys,

Since I did a complete Sydney Service re-scan on my T2 (running the current FW), to update SBS Viceland HD, I have the problem that whilst I can get the Terrestrial LCN to "stick" after the T2 has booted up (and I have selected a channel on the Terrestrial EPG it), on a subsequent reboot (the next day in my case from a Deep Sleep state), the EPG bouquet reverts back again to the Last Scanned bouquet.

What am I missing to make the Terrestrial LCN bouquet stick permanently like it did before I did the complete re-scan?

Thanks guys.

Phil.
Phil.
Beyonwiz T2, DVDO Iscan Duo Video Processor. Yamaha YSP-3300 Digital Sound Projector , Popcorn A500, Oppo DV-980H, Sony TV, Harmony 650 Remote

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Mon Jul 01, 2019 21:01

If you can manually reboot, and the Terrestrial TV LCN service is still selected, then it means the setting sounds like it has been saved properly. I'm struggling to think why a reboot the next day would act any differently.

Do you have any zap timers (or any other timers) configured that may be waking the Wiz from standby and might be opening the wrong bouquet?

Have you ever set up a default startup service? (a long-shot, not sure how that would behave)
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Mon Jul 01, 2019 21:27

MrQuade wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 21:01
If you can manually reboot, and the Terrestrial TV LCN service is still selected, then it means the setting sounds like it has been saved properly.

I don't think that's what Phil is saying, I think he's saying it "sticks" after booting and zapping to a service from the Terrestrial TV LCN bouquet, but then on the next boot/UI start it's back to Last Scanned.
Or perhaps I'm the one who's misunderstanding :?:

jpp
Guru

Post by jpp » Mon Jul 01, 2019 23:07

No, you're spot on Geoff. I just couldn't carry out any further tests till now as I was recording.

Just now, after I did a reboot via the Power Menu, the Terrestrial LCN bouquet came up....

However, what I did notice was that on this reboot/bootup, the reported LCN was 20 for ABC HD. When I completed my last re-scan (I did quite a few yesterday actually) it always came up as 343 for ABC HD.

This suggests that the T2 was now looking at the standard frequency spectrum from the main transmitter masts rather than from one of the translator masts in either the Elan Building in Kings Cross or the one from North Head.

Would this have something to do with all of this? And btw, if so, how do you force the scan on the T2 to select only strongest broadcasters? I noted btw, that the translator signal level of "Chan" 343 was BELOW that of the main broadcast tower's "Chan" 20 - I thought that the T2 automatically selected the best set of signals for the same broadcast?
Phil.
Beyonwiz T2, DVDO Iscan Duo Video Processor. Yamaha YSP-3300 Digital Sound Projector , Popcorn A500, Oppo DV-980H, Sony TV, Harmony 650 Remote

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Mon Jul 01, 2019 23:46

jpp wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 23:07
No, you're spot on Geoff. I just couldn't carry out any further tests till now as I was recording.

Just now, after I did a reboot via the Power Menu, the Terrestrial LCN bouquet came up....

So correct now, yes?
jpp wrote: However, what I did notice was that on this reboot/bootup, the reported LCN was 20 for ABC HD. When I completed my last re-scan (I did quite a few yesterday actually) it always came up as 343 for ABC HD.

Perhaps because you have 'Alternative numbering mode' disabled and after your rescan the T2 defaulted to the Last Scanned bouquet.
MENU>>Setup>>TV>>Channel selection>>Alternative numbering mode.
Now the T2 is defaulting to Terrestrial TV LCN bouquet, which is the first in the list of bouquets and thus its contents are numbered from one. If you swap back to Last Scanned you should see the numbering start in the 300s (because it's not the first in the list).

jpp
Guru

Post by jpp » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:56

Thanks Geoff.

Interesting.....

When I booted up again today, the Terrestrial bouquet came up automatically - ABC HD was 20.

I then checked the Alternative mode setting and it was OFF. I also noted the the setting for Show bouquet on start up of the EPG was set to ON, which it was/is not doing because I have the setting OFF under the EPG Menu settings - always a bit of confusion here for me as these two settings Menus (one under TV settings and the other under the EPG Menu) overlap and I'm not sure which takes precedence.

Yes, the Last Scanned Bouquet still has the 300+ listings.

I guess what is puzzling too here is that a complete re-scan seems to affect a few things which you intuitively think it shouldn't, like the time span across the screen for the EPG (Metal skin). It had gone from my previous setting of 120min to the max 300min.

Anyways, it all seems to have settled in again now.... so thanks again for your help here.
Phil.

Dazzla_1
Master

Post by Dazzla_1 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 15:53

Hi Is the method for Creating and Managing Favourites Lists - Apply to the U4 please Cheers Daz :) zler_1
Beyonwiz U4 - New Nov 2018 - F/ware beyonwiz-19.3 - beyonwiz - U4-2019 - 1106.
Re Flashed U4 -2019 - 1106 F/Ware Oct - 2020 -

SONY BRAVIA - KD-55 x 8500-B - 4K - Ultra HD, LCD, LED, Smart TV
ONKYO TX NR474 -5.1

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Thu Jul 30, 2020 16:03

Dazzla_1 wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 15:53
Hi Is the method for Creating and Managing Favourites Lists - Apply to the U4 please Cheers Daz :) zler_1

Do you mean "does the help apply to the U4?" If so, yes. It was written when the T3 was the only model.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Gully

Post by Gully » Thu Jul 30, 2020 16:49

I think it's worth adding that using OpenWebif on a computer is a useful alternative method for creating add editing favourites if your Beyonwiz is networked.
Cheers
Gully

Dazzla_1
Master

Post by Dazzla_1 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 02:53

Thanks, prl & Gulley, Regards Dazzler_1 :)
Beyonwiz U4 - New Nov 2018 - F/ware beyonwiz-19.3 - beyonwiz - U4-2019 - 1106.
Re Flashed U4 -2019 - 1106 F/Ware Oct - 2020 -

SONY BRAVIA - KD-55 x 8500-B - 4K - Ultra HD, LCD, LED, Smart TV
ONKYO TX NR474 -5.1

Return to “FAQs, Tips & How to Guides”