Usability comments / discussion

What features and services do you want to see on WizTV?

Moderators: Gully, peteru

NigelSenior
Master

Usability comments / discussion

Post by NigelSenior » Fri Dec 19, 2008 06:38

Folks,
a few comments for discussion here. Personally I found myself falling into the lolly shop worker problem here - I want it all - which in the end really means a browser on the BW.

After some thought though I realized from a usability perspective this would not work - browsers are for PC's not PVR's. That is it takes me as long to fire up the BW as a PC and the human interface on the PVR (keyboard) is too clumsy.

A lot of gadgets / widgets lend themselves well to the "always turned on mode" - if my device is running and always available at the tap of a key then looking up the weather is quick Some people I know leave a PC on 24/7 but my wife would kill me. But thats not the BW.

So where is the BW useful - when you want some information while your watching e.g.

Weather for tomorrow at the end of the night
Weather radar while watching programs - feel that front come in
Program information for timers (IMDB)

Generally I think this points to information that fits the BW context namely

Wiz related - config, BW news etc
Program related - timers, guide
Watching TV - News

If we attempt to go beyond this kind of scope we run the risk of build a lot of good but useless stuff.

Hope this stimulates some discussion.

cheers

Nigel

:) :) :)
Beyonwiz t2

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Fri Dec 19, 2008 08:15

Hi Nigel,

The problem on deciding on content for WizTV is that many users will have different requirements for content. While some topics will be of a general interest I can see that at some point WizTV will need to grow a facility that allows users to configure, or at least select, topics and information that will most suit themselves and then limit WizTV to those nominated categories.

Regards,
Ian.

Raid
Master

Post by Raid » Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:45

Nigel

I couldn't agree more.

The one thing that we (users) don't have is an understanding of is what can or can not be done. When I suggested the Weather Radar I was not thinking about a browser interface, but something that would cycle through images, some basic and simple. Frankly, I expected a lot of heat from my suggestion.

I think many users were not just expecting a PC browser but Streaming Video, Vodcasts or some way of receiving subscription based content.

There is always a risk with any new product or feature that it will be overhyped, not by its creators here, but by people?s imagination. What will this button do!

I would really like to hear from the platform creators, so that they could give us some parameters to work within.

T

Return to “What you want!”