wiztv errors

ABC News, ABC Sport, Wiz Weather, Wiz Gadgets etc Discussed here.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

mattzilla

wiztv errors

Post by mattzilla » Wed May 25, 2011 09:16

Noticed today that DP-P2 could not connect to wizTV.

Tried www.wiztv.com.au and site is down, there is no domain whois or lookup info and http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/wiztv.com.au indicates

It's not just you! http://wiztv.com.au looks down from here.

Any ideas?

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Wed May 25, 2011 10:48

Hi Mattzilla,

It appears that the WizTV domain registration has expired and is currently suspended. I hope this is just an oversight. If I find any more information I will update the post.

UPDATE: Beyonwiz are currently re-organising their data centre arrangements. This issue was an accidental oversight and will be corrected ASAP. This will not be corrected within hours it will take a number of days to fix.

Regards,
Ian.

iannrob
Apprentice

Post by iannrob » Wed Jun 01, 2011 13:01

UPDATE: Beyonwiz are currently re-organising their data centre arrangements. This issue was an accidental oversight and will be corrected ASAP. This will not be corrected within hours it will take a number of days to fix.

Regards,
Ian.[/quote]

Any idea when they will be back up? Rgds Ian
T3

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Wed Jun 01, 2011 17:28

Hi Ian,

Welcome!

I haven't spoken to anyone at Beyonwiz Australia this week but I don't believe that WizTV services are close to being back on deck yet. I suspect that there is quite some more work required.

Regards,
Ian.

iannrob
Apprentice

Post by iannrob » Wed Jun 01, 2011 17:37

IanSav wrote:Hi Ian,

Welcome!

I haven't spoken to anyone at Beyonwiz Australia this week but I don't believe that WizTV services are close to being back on deck yet. I suspect that there is quite some more work required.

Regards,
Ian.
Thanks Ian, as a brand new Beyonwiz user I was keen to explore, and disappointed when the website disappeared before I had a chance to use it. Regards Ian
T3

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Wed Jun 01, 2011 17:49

Hi Ian,

I believe that WizTV will be back it will just be running from a new server in a different data centre.

I believe that this forum will also be moving to a new server in a new data centre. Hopefully lessons will be learned from the WizTV move that will protect us from any sort of extended outage.

Regards,
Ian.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Jun 01, 2011 17:54

Sorry, Ian. I don't see how neglecting to renew the registration of a DNS name has anything to do with moving a service to a new server.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

Bruce85
Master

Post by Bruce85 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 18:10

It would be good if Beyonwiz actually added content to WizTV. They've neglected the service ever since they removed the ABC News feed.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Jun 01, 2011 18:49

+1

But I think IanSav has indicated before that at least part of the problem is that they haven't worked out a model (or haven't got the necessary partners) to fund WizTV.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Thu Jun 02, 2011 00:22

Hi Peter,
prl wrote:But I think IanSav has indicated before that at least part of the problem is that they haven't worked out a model (or haven't got the necessary partners) to fund WizTV.
That information didn't come from me.

The information about the server relocation is, I believe, correct and came from a discussion with a Beyonwiz Australia staff member. I suspect that the domain renewal issue may be involved in the data centre relocation process.

Regards,
Ian.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:09

Hi,

A quick update for anyone interested...

I just spoke with Beyonwiz and believe that all the server issues are now resolved. There is a small administrative issue left to resolve and the WizTV service should be fully restored. Hopefully it won't be too long now.

Regards,
Ian.

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Thu Jun 02, 2011 15:53

IanSav wrote:the server issues are now resolved
There were/are no issues with the WizTV server. It's quite happily functioning and serving WizTV content to anyone who can find it.
There is a small administrative issue left to resolve and the WizTV service should be fully restored. Hopefully it won't be too long now.
The problem is with DNS resolution. The registration has expired and therefore the top level servers for .com.au won't point at the domain. Doing a whois lookup on wiztv.com.au will reveal this information, as well as the IP address of the DNS servers for the WizTV domain, which in turn will allow you to see for yourself that the WizTV server is operating just fine.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Thu Jun 02, 2011 15:57

If I had to guess at what might have happened, I'd say that the domain renewal email probably got automatically put in someone's Junk/Spam folder, never got acted on and as a result the registration expired.

Stuff like that has happened to some pretty high profile companies in the past - the downside of HTML mails urging you to hand over money as opposed to printed snail mail versions of the same thing. :roll:

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Thu Jun 02, 2011 16:04

IanSav wrote:Hi Peter,
prl wrote:But I think IanSav has indicated before that at least part of the problem is that they haven't worked out a model (or haven't got the necessary partners) to fund WizTV.
That information didn't come from me.
I think the post I (mis)remembered was this one from Gully. Which doesn't really say what I thought it said, either.

We should be organising some sort of birthday party for WizTV. This month sees it completing its second year as a beta service.

Happy second birthday, beta WizTV!
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

brianh
Wizard

Post by brianh » Thu Jun 02, 2011 21:09

prl wrote: We should be organising some sort of birthday party for WizTV. This month sees it completing its second year as a beta service.

Happy second birthday, beta WizTV!
.....Does that mean it keeps getting beta and beta........ ? :P
Cheers,
Brian

1) 2 x T4, Samsung UA46C7000/Yamaha RX-V6A
2) Spare DP-P2s/ Samsung UA46C6900/Sony STR-DE497/RX-V540
Harmony 650 + all the spare remotes.....

glow
Guru

Post by glow » Fri Jun 03, 2011 09:43

I thought WizTV was older.
I registered in November 2008 and entered the video competition.
The email announcing its launch was dated December 9 2008.

My avatar is from some of the early WizTV mockups we found in 2008.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri Jun 03, 2011 09:45

I think I've been taking my dates from the early posts on the WizTV part of the forum. Which could have been a while after it actually started. Anyway, two or two-and-a-half years in beta, it's still a long time :)
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

glow
Guru

Post by glow » Wed Jun 15, 2011 15:09

Well at least this official news item on the Beyonwiz website gives me some confidence that DPG haven't abandoned the Wiz
Wiz TV Temporarily Down
Wiz TV Temporarily Down
June 14th, 2011
To all customers,
Please note that WizTV and WizTV services are temporarily unavailable due to technical difficulties. We are working to have this problem rectified as soon as possible to resume providing WizTV services.
We appreciate your patience in this matter and thank you for buying Beyonwiz

raymondjpg
Guru

Post by raymondjpg » Wed Jun 15, 2011 16:11

glow wrote:To all customers,
Please note that WizTV and WizTV services are temporarily unavailable due to technical difficulties. We are working to have this problem rectified as soon as possible to resume providing WizTV services.
We appreciate your patience in this matter and thank you for buying Beyonwiz
Not shooting the messenger, but three weeks in infotech land is a tad more than "temporarily unavailable".

bogpopa
Apprentice

Post by bogpopa » Fri Jun 24, 2011 17:03

Are we sure this is a DNS Issue?
Usually updating DNS records takes up to 48 hours ...
T4
T4
Harmony One
Harmony Ultimate
Pioneer VSX 920
Samsung 46" LCD

Bruce85
Master

Post by Bruce85 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 17:11

I really wish Beyonwiz would improve its WizTV service. I think it's gone backwards over the last 2 years. It's frustrating because there's so much potential for it to be a good service.

Even if WizTV were to just go back to offering the ABC News feeds that it had in 2009, then that would be a massive improvement!

Please add more features to the WizWeather section! It just seems so lazy and unprofessional to not build on the service!

bogpopa
Apprentice

Post by bogpopa » Tue Jun 28, 2011 16:58

IanSav wrote:
I just spoke with Beyonwiz and believe that all the server issues are now resolved. There is a small administrative issue left to resolve and the WizTV service should be fully restored. Hopefully it won't be too long now.
Logged a case with Beyonwiz and they advised that "The WizTV server is currently being moved due to the problems so the service will resume as soon as possible but we have no eta on this at the moment"
T4
T4
Harmony One
Harmony Ultimate
Pioneer VSX 920
Samsung 46" LCD

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Tue Jun 28, 2011 21:57

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the update. This is different from what I was told about a week ago.

Regards,
Ian.

bogpopa
Apprentice

Post by bogpopa » Wed Jun 29, 2011 13:14

IanSav wrote:
Thanks for the update. This is different from what I was told about a week ago.

Indeed, they actually change the story every time ...
3 weeks ago I logged another case with them about the same issue and back then they advised that the site will be up and running by the next Friday ...
Obviously not the case ...
T4
T4
Harmony One
Harmony Ultimate
Pioneer VSX 920
Samsung 46" LCD

Return to “WizTV Info Based Services”