Wiz Mac v0.7 released.

Advanced Discussions on Programing for & Modifying Beyonwiz Products.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

efry
Master

Wiz Mac v0.7 released.

Post by efry » Thu Aug 28, 2008 22:14

Hi Guys,

I've just uploaded a new version of Wiz Mac.

Version 0.7

You can get it here.

http://www.beyonwizsoftware.net/software-b28/wiz-mac/

What's changed?

Code: Select all

* Version 0.7
        * Added support for downloading in wiz format. (.tvwiz)
        * Strip dangerous chars from filename when saving. Chars replaced with '_'
        * Added the ability to convert a file in tvwiz format into a .ts file.
          Just drag the tvwiz directory from the finder onto the wizmac dock icon
          and it will make a .ts file.
          Note that there is no progress dialog at the moment. I'll add that later.
Please let me know what you think. :D

Enjoy!

Eric

Vatoe
Master

Post by Vatoe » Mon Sep 01, 2008 14:45

Hi Eric,

As usual, thanks for your efforts with the latest update. The drag and drop tvwiz folder is a nice little feature as it gives us the best of both worlds.

I'll give it a bash when I get home later in the week.

cheers,

John.

pmanuel

Post by pmanuel » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:36

Hi Eric

I'm getting the following message when trying to connect to my new Beyonwiz DP-P2 from my Mac using WizMac 0.7: Error Connecting - Error: Time Out! .

I have a network connection using an ethernet cable from the Beyonwiz to an Airport Extreme. I can access and play files on my Mac from the Beyonwiz and IceTV is functioning normally.

WizMac picks up the Beyonwiz in the Automatic panel when I attempt to establish a New Connection. After clicking connect however the above message results after about 25 seconds.

In the WizPNP settings I have tried enabling and disabling Client and Server and have left the name and port at the default values - beyonwiz and 49152 respectively. When trying to establish a new connection, WizMac is using the IP shown in the Network setting on the Beyonwiz. WizMac shows 10.0.1.198:49152 at the top of its window.

Any suggestions you can offer would be appreciated.

Paul

dbareis
Master

Post by dbareis » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:59

pmanuel wrote:Hi Eric

I'm getting the following message when trying to connect to my new Beyonwiz DP-P2 from my Mac using WizMac 0.7: Error Connecting - Error: Time Out! .

I have a network connection using an ethernet cable from the Beyonwiz to an Airport Extreme. I can access and play files on my Mac from the Beyonwiz and IceTV is functioning normally.

WizMac picks up the Beyonwiz in the Automatic panel when I attempt to establish a New Connection. After clicking connect however the above message results after about 25 seconds.

In the WizPNP settings I have tried enabling and disabling Client and Server and have left the name and port at the default values - beyonwiz and 49152 respectively. When trying to establish a new connection, WizMac is using the IP shown in the Network setting on the Beyonwiz. WizMac shows 10.0.1.198:49152 at the top of its window.

Any suggestions you can offer would be appreciated.

Paul
I also had fun recently so I created this page:
http://dennis2centsworth.blogspot.com/2 ... -with.html

You don't need the WizPNP client, just the server, try pinging the BeyOnWiz from your Mac.
Dennis
[Beyonwiz V2 on beta Software]

pmanuel

Post by pmanuel » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:44

Hi Dennis

Thank you for that information. I can successfully ping the Beyonwiz from my Mac using the IP address that WizMac is using when it attempts to connect. However I am unable to "contact" the server by via http://192.167.1.77:49152 in a browser - "Server unreachable".

I am digesting the information in you blog post but not making much headway at present.

Paul

dbareis
Master

Post by dbareis » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:25

pmanuel wrote:I can successfully ping the Beyonwiz from my Mac using the IP address that WizMac is using when it attempts to connect. However I am unable to "contact" the server by via http://192.167.1.77:49152 in a browser - "Server unreachable".
Just to double check you did not change the default port in the BeyonWiz server config and you changed the IP address to whatever the BeyonWiz is? The "url" is an example, I have updated my blog to make this more obvious.

Your not running peer guardian or any other software that might interfere?
Dennis
[Beyonwiz V2 on beta Software]

pmanuel

Post by pmanuel » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:08

Hi Dennis

Thanks for following up on this.

The IP address on the Beyonwiz is 010.000.001.198. The default port in the Beyonwiz server config is 49152. I can ping 10.0.1.198 successfully but using http://010.000.001.198:49152 or http://10.0.1.198:49152 in Safari results in a 504 Gateway Timeout - Server unreachable. However on a whim I tried the same URL in Firefox and immediately got the response "403 Directory Listing Denied".

Unfortunately despite 20+ years on the Mac my networking experience has been on a "need to know" basis and up to this point I haven't needed to know so I am on a very steep learning curve but not sure where to go next.

Paul

tonymy01
Uber Wizard
Location: Sydney, Australia DP-S1-1TB, DP-P2-2TB, DP-T4-2TB, DP-T4-BB... too many!

Post by tonymy01 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:15

From a synapse firing deep in there, I remember Peter saying that the Mac interprets IP addresses starting with 0's as octal addresses (base 8 rather than base 10), so you must make sure you get the IP address right in whatever application you are trying to get the PNP working in.
You don't need the leading 0's they are there as there is no decimal "dot" to put the address in with the keyboard when setting up the Wiz, and so you have to put 3 digits into the field to move onto the next digit.
Regards
Tony

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:20

pmanuel wrote:Hi Dennis

Thanks for following up on this.

The IP address on the Beyonwiz is 010.000.001.198. The default port in the Beyonwiz server config is 49152. I can ping 10.0.1.198 successfully but using http://010.000.001.198:49152 or http://10.0.1.198:49152 in Safari results in a 504 Gateway Timeout - Server unreachable. However on a whim I tried the same URL in Firefox and immediately got the response "403 Directory Listing Denied".

Unfortunately despite 20+ years on the Mac my networking experience has been on a "need to know" basis and up to this point I haven't needed to know so I am on a very steep learning curve but not sure where to go next.

Paul
In Firefox, try using http://10.0.1.198:49152/index.txt - that should return you a primitive directory of the contents of the recordings folder.

In the Apple Network Utility, a leading zero in any part of an IP address causes it to be interpreted as octal instead of decimal. If Safari is the same, that would explain why http://010.000.001.198 doesn't work, because it will be using 8 (decimal) instead of 10 (decimal) as the first byte of the network address. I don't know why Safari is failing to connect using http://10.0.1.198:49152.

I'll try it on my Mac this evening.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

pmanuel

Post by pmanuel » Tue Sep 30, 2008 13:20

Peter and Tony

I can ping the Beyonwiz successfully using 10.0.1.198

Firefox returns a (very) primitive directory of the contents of the recordings folder using http://10.0.1.198:49152/index.txt. Safari still can't reach the server using the same URL.

In summary:
Airport Extreme connected to satellite modem
Mac Pro (10.5.5) - wireless connection to Airport Extreme
Beyonwiz - wired Ethernet connection to Airport Extreme (have had no success connecting wirelessly - yet)
Beyonwiz can see and play compatible files on my Mac.
Beyonwiz can copy files to my Mac
IceTV EPG and scheduling update correctly on the Beyonwiz
Firefox can see Beyonwiz server
Safari connot see Beyonwiz server
WizMac cannot connect to Beyonwiz server.

Thanks again for your help.

Paul

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Sep 30, 2008 19:43

I can download index.txt from my DP-S! using either Safari or Firefox, using the same form URL (but a different IP address to match my setup).

My Safari is v3.1.2. It doesn't look like it's a problem due to just Safari.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Vatoe
Master

Post by Vatoe » Sun Nov 16, 2008 13:31

Hi Eric,

Any chance supplying a provision for deleting files from the Wizzy via Wizmac? This would be handy feature for programs that have been transferred elsewhere (eg a NAS) for later viewing and therefore are no longer required on the Wizzy's hard drive.

cheers,

John.
So many gadgets, so little time...

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun Nov 16, 2008 13:33

Vatoe wrote:Hi Eric,

Any chance supplying a provision for deleting files from the Wizzy via Wizmac? This would be handy feature for programs that have been transferred elsewhere (eg a NAS) for later viewing and therefore are no longer required on the Wizzy's hard drive.

cheers,

John.
Eric, there's (Perl) code for doing this in recent versions of getWizPnP. Once that's implemented, it's easy to add Move Recording, too.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

metman
Apprentice

Post by metman » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:26

Hi there,

I have been searching but I think I am getting myself confused ...

I have downloaded the .tvwiz files to a USB drive with the intention of watching them via WD-TV so I obviously need to convert the files.

Can I use Wizmac to do this simply on the USB drive or is Wizmac only for use when transfering files?

Thanks,
S&K.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:37

metman wrote:Hi there,

I have been searching but I think I am getting myself confused ...

I have downloaded the .tvwiz files to a USB drive with the intention of watching them via WD-TV so I obviously need to convert the files.

Can I use Wizmac to do this simply on the USB drive or is Wizmac only for use when transfering files?

Thanks,
S&K.
WizMac (and WizFX, getWizPnP and WizZilla) only copy the recording data. They don't transform it in any way, apart (for .ts files) for correctly applying any editing that was done on the Beyonwiz.

I use MPEG Streamclip for Mac for editing Beyonwiz recordings and converting them to MPEG2 (other conversions are available). MPEG Streamclip is freeware but:
MPEG Streamclip for Mac Requirements wrote:For MPEG-2 playback and conversion, you need the QuickTime MPEG-2 Playback Component. You can buy it from Apple (www.apple.com/quicktime/mpeg2). If you have either Final Cut Pro or DVD Studio Pro, then the component is already installed and you don't have to buy it; but you may need to download the latest version from Apple. If you bought an older version of the component, you can update it to the latest version (www.apple.com/quicktime/mpeg2/update). Note that the MPEG-2 component is neither required nor useful for MPEG-1 or MPEG-4 files. But it is required for VOB files and transport streams, because they are MPEG-2 files.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

tonymy01
Uber Wizard
Location: Sydney, Australia DP-S1-1TB, DP-P2-2TB, DP-T4-2TB, DP-T4-BB... too many!

Post by tonymy01 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:43

Does WD-TV support MPEG2-TS files? If so, then isn't there a MAC solution now with the 2 or 3 avail that will download the files as TS instead of TVWIZ format?
Regards
Tony

metman
Apprentice

Post by metman » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:07

tonymy01 wrote:Does WD-TV support MPEG2-TS files? If so, then isn't there a MAC solution now with the 2 or 3 avail that will download the files as TS instead of TVWIZ format?
Regards
From WD site ... File formats supported ... Video: -MPEG1/2/4, WMV9, AVI (MPEG4, Xvid, AVC), H.264, MKV, MOV (MPEG4, H.264),MTS, TP, TS

And I'm not sure I understand the other question Tony...

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:17

metman wrote:
tonymy01 wrote:Does WD-TV support MPEG2-TS files? If so, then isn't there a MAC solution now with the 2 or 3 avail that will download the files as TS instead of TVWIZ format?
Regards
From WD site ... File formats supported ... Video: -MPEG1/2/4, WMV9, AVI (MPEG4, Xvid, AVC), H.264, MKV, MOV (MPEG4, H.264),MTS, TP, TS

And I'm not sure I understand the other question Tony...
There are two main variants of MPEG2 - Transport Stream (TS, used in digital broadcasting, where transmission errors are more likely) and Program Stream (PS, typically used on DVDs and in computer files, where transmission errors are less likely).

Tony's first question was about whether WD-TV could play MPEG2-Transport Stream format (I assumed from your original post that it couldn't). If it can play MPEG2-TS, then all you need to do is use one of the file transfer tools I mentioned before (WizMac and getWizPnP work on Macs) to create a TS file on your Mac. If WD-TV can only play MPEG2-Program Stream, then you need to convert the format. It's a quick process (a few minutes), but you need an extra tool than can convert the TS file from WizMac into an MPEG2-PS file.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

tonymy01
Uber Wizard

Post by tonymy01 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:20

Sounds like it supports TS then.
I made a generic statement (as i don't have a mac and am not going to dig thru the readmes) that one of the Mac solutions surely has a "ts" option already.

Wizmac is one such solution, there is another if I remember correctly, and of course there is the basis for some of the solutions that Peter has developed, getWizPNP, which will work on a mac too (as a perl script).

I could have sworn there was another mac based downloader out there...

Ok, I googled, and WizMac does indeed have a TS option (I was looking for the imaginary solution... maybe it was one of the PC ones... can't remember now):
http://www.beyonwizsoftware.net/software-b28/wiz-mac/0/

Regards
Tony

metman
Apprentice

Post by metman » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:57

Thanks for your help Tony & prl.

Sorry for my thickness here :oops: but I am back to being confused again. I already have the .tvwiz file on my FAT32 USB drive. Do I use wizMac to convert them to MPEG2-TS files then? I thought Wizmac was what I used for getting the files off the wiz over the network. Ta.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon Feb 23, 2009 13:13

metman wrote:Thanks for your help Tony & prl.

Sorry for my thickness here :oops: but I am back to being confused again. I already have the .tvwiz file on my FAT32 USB drive. Do I use wizMac to convert them to MPEG2-TS files then? I thought Wizmac was what I used for getting the files off the wiz over the network. Ta.
If you use WizMac to transfer the recording over the net, you can ask it to store the result in either TVWIZ (.tvwiz) or TS (.ts file) format. If you want to play the recordings using WD-TV, rather than viewing them on the Beyonwiz over the net, you're probably best off transferring to TS format.

If you've already copied a recording (any way) to a HDD your Mac can access, you can use WizMac to convert TVWIZ format to TS format.

The .tvwiz format isn't a single file, it's a folder. Inside the folder are a few header files, and a bunch of files with 4-digit names. Each one of them is a chunk of up to 32MB of MPEG2-TS format. If you haven't edited the recording on the Beyonwiz, you can create a single TS format file from these numbered file, just by concatenating them in numerical order (for unedited recordings, that's pretty much all WizMac does to convert from TVWIZ format to TS format anyway).
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

metman
Apprentice

Post by metman » Mon Feb 23, 2009 13:17

I'll give it a go tonight. Thanks for your patience guys.

metman
Apprentice

Post by metman » Mon Feb 23, 2009 20:37

Hi again. Success!

WizMac can see the Beyonwiz (after enabling WizPnP) and I've moved files in the TS format to the Passbook dive.

My next question is related so I'll ask it here but let me know if I should ask elsewhere.

We bought a WD 320Gb passbook. We want to use this as both the extra storage for the Beyonwiz when connected to the Beyonwiz and as the device we move files to (when hooked into the Mac) to watch on a different TV using the WDTV. HOWEVER .. as the drive must be formatted FAT32 it wont handle files bigger than 4Gb (I believe?). Is there a way to achieve both aims with the one drive or not? Also, why are the files so big? I have AVI files of whole movies that are only 1Gb????

Thanks for the excellent advice!

tonymy01
Uber Wizard

Post by tonymy01 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 21:39

The forums are as slow as a wet weekend for me tonight, so sorry for the delay.
You can partition the drive with 2 partitions, one FAT32, and one NTFS. The NTFS partition allows you to copy files greater than 2G in size (yes, even though FAT32 supports 4G files, a substantial amount of software, operating systems etc wrote their size code to be a signed integer and thus stuck at 2G).
Now, for the filesizes. The Beyonwiz when recording is really just timeshifting the exact information broadcast, this is the beauty of a PVR in fact, as it gives you the same thing you would get if you watched the show live. This means the filesizes are dictated by what is broadcast. In the case of HD in Australia currently, this is approximately 6Gigabyte per hour more or less (e.g. the broadcast rate of SD is about 5-6megabit/s, HD is about 10-14megabit/s.... you can do the maths to turn bits into bytes, i.e. divide by 8, then calculate how big 60mins will be).

Your AVI files would be nothing like the quality of DVB-T MPEG2 HD. If you don't notice the difference, I presume you don't have a TrueHD setup there? In which case, it may be wise to record the SD channel if you simply plan on recording and viewing, which is typically 2.5-3G/hour. AVI files (depending on the type) are highly compressed, reduced resolution, poorer motion performance than any DVB-T broadcast, but usually acceptable considering the download reductions and space saving they provide.

I assume you already know the Wiz wiztv recording format is to break up the files into small chunks to avoid the FAT32 filesize issue and to provide fast editing etc? I won't explain the differences (done 1000 times already on these forums and probably openwiz.org ), but you should work out what the Wiz can and can't do/display with native wiztv files vs TS files pretty soon anyway.
Regards
Tony

metman
Apprentice

Post by metman » Tue Feb 24, 2009 09:37

Yes, something definitely not right with the forum at the moment ...

Anyhoo, thanks so much for the excellent advice.

We do have a TrueHD panel and we do notice the difference but (as posted elsewhere in the forum) when you are just watching B&B it ain't that crucial :wink: .

I did see that tvwizz is a whole bunch of little files when I was playing with them initially in MPEG Streamclip. As for working out what the Wiz can and can't do/display with native wiztv files vs TS files - I hope I never nee dto know :shock:

Return to “Software Developers”