Help with remote

Remote Control questions, tips and TV Codes.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

xnikx
Master

Help with remote

Post by xnikx » Sun Mar 11, 2018 13:59

Hi all, I just purchased a new T2 and connected it up for the mother. Remote was working fine for a couple of minutes, then as I was customising buttons in the set up menu it stopped and froze and became unresponsive. The buttons worked on the front of the T2 but couldnt of course go any further as the remote was dead.

I bought the T2 home and connected it up to my spare tv and the remote was still unresponsive. I then used MY T2 remote and it all worked fine which told me the new remote is stuffed. With batteries in the new units remote it all seems to work like mine does. Is there a way to reset a T2 remote or something I can try besides rolling batteries and cleaning contacts that Ive already tried? Thank you.

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Re: Help with remote

Post by Paul_oz53 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 15:22

You appear to say the new remote works with batteries in it. You aren't in TV mode by any chance? If so, press STB and try again.

An easy way to check if a remote is sending is with the phone camera. Most cameras can see infrared. Just turn on the camera and point the remote at the lens and press a button on the remote. If it's sending you should see a bright light on the remote. If not, it's definitely faulty.
Samsung QA65Q80TAWXXY 4K TV
Samsung HW Q800BXY soundbar
OverlayHD 1.70, IceTV, Foxtel IQ4
2 x Win7 PCs, 2 x Win10 PCs
Denon AVR -X2400H

xnikx
Master

Post by xnikx » Sun Mar 11, 2018 15:27

Hi Paul, I meant the remote lights up when it should. No, it is not in tv mode. Yes, I can see the infrared light working in the top left at the front end. It’s basically working like it should but nothings happening on the beyonwiz.

Edit. Sorry when remote is held up to the camera I just see a red light in the top left. I think that’s just a reflection down from the STB button on top? Definitely no blue light. I checked my remote and it’s the same. No blue light but working.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun Mar 11, 2018 15:53

xnikx wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 15:27
Hi Paul, I meant the remote lights up when it should. No, it is not in tv mode. Yes, I can see the infrared light working in the top left at the front end. It’s basically working like it should but nothings happening on the beyonwiz.

Edit. Sorry when remote is held up to the camera I just see a red light in the top left. I think that’s just a reflection down from the STB button on top? Definitely no blue light. I checked my remote and it’s the same. No blue light but working.
I'm confused about what you can see, especially when you say things like "I can see the infrared light working".

On my T2 remote, none of the light from the red LED under the STB button at the top right leaks through the window at the end of the remote where the IR led shines through.

When I look at that active end of the remote with my phone's camera, The camera sees the red LED under the STB flashing (if I hold the remote at the right angle), and it also shows a round whitish light flashing from the IR led under the window.

What is the text on the button you're saying is at the "top left"?
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

xnikx
Master

Post by xnikx » Sun Mar 11, 2018 16:15

I said EDIT..when I look at the end of the remote and hit a button I see a small red light in the top left. I don’t know the specific names of bits and pieces. I said though that it looks like it’s only a reflection of the STB button on top instead. I see no other lights in the ir panel?? when pushing buttons even when held up to a phone camera. Does that make sense? Ta

xnikx
Master

Post by xnikx » Sun Mar 11, 2018 16:19

Let’s try this way...holding the remote like its aiming at the tv...bring the top towards you. In the clear panel on the top end of the remote...if I push this STB button I see a very dim small red light in the bottom right of the ir panel which I assume is just coming internally from the bottom of the STB button. There are no other lights to see. Both non working and working remotes are the same.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun Mar 11, 2018 16:28

Ah, I see what you mean now. When I look into the window in the end of the T2 remote at the right angle and press a remote button, I see a bit of red light leaking through from the red LED under the STB button.

You'll only be able to see the infrared LED flashing in a digital camera's display. Most digital cameras are also sensitive to the near infrared used by remote controls, but some have infrared filters and aren't very sensitive to infrared.

If you look at the two remotes using a digital camera's display and you see a round light flashing in the window at the end of the working remote, then that shows that your camera can "see" the infrared light that the remotes emit. If you then try the non-working remote and you don't see the same flashing, then despite the flashing on the buttons, it's not issuing infrared commands.

I tested that the infrared LED my T2 remote was emitting just using my phone's camera.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

xnikx
Master

Post by xnikx » Sun Mar 11, 2018 16:33

Using iPhone 8...there’s no flashing IR round lights at all when any button is pressed. I’ve looked in pic and video mode also. It’s like the remote is fine but talking French and the beyonwiz is just ignoring commands because it only speaks English lol.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Sun Mar 11, 2018 17:01

xnikx wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 16:33
Using iPhone 8...there’s no flashing IR round lights at all when any button is pressed. I’ve looked in pic and video mode also. It’s like the remote is fine but talking French and the beyonwiz is just ignoring commands because it only speaks English lol.
If you are not seeing a flashing IR light then it isn't even talking French.

Compare it to what you see when looking at the working remote.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun Mar 11, 2018 17:13

MrQuade wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 17:01
xnikx wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 16:33
If you are not seeing a flashing IR light then it isn't even talking French.

Compare it to what you see when looking at the working remote.

Yes, that's an essential part of the test to make sure that the camera is sensitive to near infrared, and why I suggested testing both a non-working and a working remote with the camera.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

xnikx
Master

Post by xnikx » Sun Mar 11, 2018 17:14

I’m serious when I say there are NO flashing IR lights when remote buttons are pressed regardless, on either non working or working. I have no idea what you are all seeing 😳

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Sun Mar 11, 2018 17:17

xnikx wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 17:14
I’m serious when I say there are NO flashing IR lights when remote buttons are pressed regardless, on either non working or working. I have no idea what you are all seeing 😳
Normally you'd see this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTf4x5LJrKQ

xnikx
Master

Post by xnikx » Sun Mar 11, 2018 17:18

Sorry, thought I made it clear that both remotes were acting identical except one will not work the beyonwiz.

xnikx
Master

Post by xnikx » Sun Mar 11, 2018 17:25

Only camera I have is the iPhone 8 to check. Watched the YouTube video and NO....nothing. Nothing on both YET one is working the other not.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Sun Mar 11, 2018 17:25

Yes, it does sound as if the new one has suffered an issue. A shame your camera is not useful for troubleshooting in this instance though.

You could try switching the remote control code sets to one of the alternates and then back to the default code set. It might kick the remote's controller back into a working state.

Either that or make sure you take the batteries out for an hour or so and see if that makes a change.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun Mar 11, 2018 17:30

Do you have an older digital camera? Some newer ones deliberately filter out infrared light (which for normal use is a good thing).

The only way the "camera test" can work is if you have a camera that can "see" the infrared light from a working remote.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

xnikx
Master

Post by xnikx » Sun Mar 11, 2018 17:33

No I don’t. I only have an iPhone camera to check. It obviously doesn’t show the IR. I'll hunt own a neighbour to see if they have one and let you all know later.

xnikx
Master

Post by xnikx » Sun Mar 11, 2018 17:46

MrQuade wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 17:25
Yes, it does sound as if the new one has suffered an issue. A shame your camera is not useful for troubleshooting in this instance though.

You could try switching the remote control code sets to one of the alternates and then back to the default code set. It might kick the remote's controller back into a working state.

Either that or make sure you take the batteries out for an hour or so and see if that makes a change.
Yeah Ive changed it to the T3 code and back to the T2 but no luck there either.

xnikx
Master

Post by xnikx » Sun Mar 11, 2018 17:57

Ok....Iphone does not show infra red but on the neighbours Samsungs 7 & 8 both do. The old remote that works can see flashing IR but the new remote is dead. Annoys me though how it worked for 5 mins on set up and scanning and then just borked :roll: I'll ring CS in the morning. Thanks everyone.

Return to “Remote Controls”