Help I've lost HDMI signal on brand new U4

Discuss Beyonwiz related topics here if they don't fit in another forum.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

Tobydawg
Apprentice

Help I've lost HDMI signal on brand new U4

Post by Tobydawg » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:05

I only received the U4 1tb late yesterday so I am new to the Beyonwiz though not to PVRs. (I currently own 2 x Topfields & a Humax 4tune.
My problem somehow I've managed to get the U4 into a weird mode where everything (according to the front display) appears to be working ok ..ie I can change channels etc but there is no image on the TV. It was working fine last night and first thing this morning. I have tried cold reboots a number of times, tried different HDMI cables & different HDMI inputs on the Samsung smart TV. After cold reboot ie turning switch on rear panel off for a few seconds then turning it back on the TV I get the round beyonwiz logo followed by the WizOs screen. Following that for a split second it will show a tv channel then the screen just goes black & my tv will say there's no connection etc etc. In short it seems the signal from the U4 drops out. Is there a force factory reset I can try? I would appreciate any suggestions that might get me back to viewing TV instead of a black screen. I upgraded the FW last night during the initial setup so I'm not sure if that's a contributing factor. Cheers
Samsung 55 Smart TV, Beyonwiz U4, JBL Soundbar, Logitech Harmony One and Harmony 650

prl
Wizard God

Re: Help I've lost HDMI signal on brand new U4

Post by prl » Sat Feb 17, 2018 14:46

Before I give a long post with suggested solutions, I think that you may have set your U4's HDMI out to 2160p output and your TV can't handle 2160p (aka 4k/UHD).

Can your TV handle 2160p/4k/UHD? Did you make any changes in MENU>Setup>AV setup>AV settings shortly before the screen went black? Can you get back to a usable screen resolution by pressing TV-OUT? You'll need to press it twice for it to have any effect (the first press displays your current resolution). Wait a few seconds after each press to give the TV time to handshake with the U4 again after the press.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

Tobydawg
Apprentice

Post by Tobydawg » Sat Feb 17, 2018 17:03

Thanks Peter

Being new to the Wiz I think I may have changed the channel resolution and who knows I could have tabbed through until I got to the UHD setting and yes my TV does not support UHD. So that's something I have learned among the extraordinary amount of individual settings lol
However, from share frustration I reinstalled the firmware (from the USB) and that's fixed it.
Thanks again for your suggestions.
Phil
Perth, WA
Samsung 55 Smart TV, Beyonwiz U4, JBL Soundbar, Logitech Harmony One and Harmony 650

Scotty66

Post by Scotty66 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:54

Just got my new U4 this morning and I've done the same thing. I think I was in the AV settings and set the resolution to auto and now I get a blank screen. I tried what Peter suggested and tried the TV output button but all I get is a quick tv picture and then blank. It's a bit hard to set anything when all you get is a blank screen, any help would be great. I won't be fiddling with the settings after this.
My previous PVR was a Toppy and I had that set to auto resolution and thought this would be the same.

Cheers
Scott

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 13:15

If you have a PC or phone on the same network as your U4 you can access Openwebif. You then use its controls to reset the video mode. Via PC is easier, I find.

In the browser enter: http://beyonwizU4
Openwebif should respond. If on a phone, I prefer to use the full webif rather than the mobile version. This assumes the full version.

There is a crude remote on the left side. You can expand the remote but its not essential.
  1. Click Grab screenshot.
    You should see a picture from the current channel on the right.
  2. On the right, beneath the screenshot click 'Refresh automatically' and reset the time to 3 or 4 seconds.
  3. Optional: Above the screenshot select the OSD option. Screen will go blank.
  4. Now, on the virtual remote select Menu. You should have a black background with the menu options.
  5. Navigate to Setup. Click OK.
  6. Navigate to AV setup. Click OK.
  7. You should be on AV settings. Click OK.
  8. Now, ensure the top three elements are set to: HDMI; Off; and, a resolution the TV can handle. Mine is 1080p.
  9. On the virtual remote click the GREEN button to save the new setting.
  10. It may ask you to confirm the new resolution. Click Yes if it does.
  11. Click EXIT.
  12. Click EXIT. Click 'Screenshot All' if on OSD.
  13. You may need to reboot the U4. If so, click on the power symbol to bring up the options. Click Reboot.
With any luck, you should have a picture on the TV. Now you can fine tune it as you please using the remote.

Edited to add more details from user reports.
Last edited by Paul_oz53 on Sun Mar 18, 2018 21:53, edited 6 times in total.
Samsung QA65Q80TAWXXY 4K TV
Samsung HW Q800BXY soundbar
OverlayHD 1.70, IceTV, Foxtel IQ4
2 x Win7 PCs, 2 x Win10 PCs
Denon AVR -X2400H

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Thu Mar 15, 2018 13:25

The problem is caused by a combination of enabling MENU>Setup>AV setup>AV settings>Automatic resolution and not setting all the "Show ... as" settings that that enables to resolutions that your TV can handle.

The fact that the TV-OUT button doesn't work properly when "Automatic resolution" is enabled is a known (and since fixed) bug in the original U4 factory firmware.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Scotty66

Post by Scotty66 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 13:38

Thanks for your quick reply Paul but unfortunately I was having troubles with the wireless dongle connecting up to my network, which is why I started looking around in the menu and got side tracked with all the settings ,so haven't got access that way. I tried the website you gave me anyway but as I thought it's coming up "site can't be reached". I feel like I'm up the creek without a paddle at the moment....gulp.
I just updated to the U4 from a Toppy 7100 plus and I'm discovering that the technology between the two are like night and day.
Is there anyway of holding certain buttons on then remote or the unit to reset it back to factory?

Scotty66

Post by Scotty66 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 13:45

Hi Peter, thanks for you help, so by the sounds of it if I can get it updated to the latest firmware it might fix it? But since I was unable to get my U4 connected to the internet yet is it possible to update it using a memory stick?
Cheers
Scott

Scotty66

Post by Scotty66 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 14:32

Thanks guys for your help, I did actually reply to your posts but they haven't shown,I'm having a bad day with technology today. :(
Unfortunately I have not been able to connect my U4 with my network yet due to having problem with the wireless dongle that I was using in my Toppy. I tried the website that you suggested Paul but it's not connecting/unable to find.
So it sounds like if I could update my firmware it should fix the problem, but as I'm not connected to the internet yet that's going to be hard unless I am able to download the latest F/W on a key, would that be possible?

Cheers
Scott

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Thu Mar 15, 2018 15:16

Paul_oz53 wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 13:15
If you have a PC or phone on the network you can access Openwebif and then use its controls to reset the video mode. PC is easier, I find.

I posted some pics of this process a while back if you need some visuals - viewtopic.php?f=50&t=12281#p162985

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 15:22

Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 15:16
Paul_oz53 wrote:
If you have a PC or phone on the network you can access Openwebif and then use its controls to reset the video mode. PC is easier, I find.

I posted some pics of this process a while back if you need some visuals - viewtopic.php?f=50&t=12281#p162985
Pictures are worth a thousand words...
Denon AVR -X2400H

Scotty66

Post by Scotty66 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 15:51

Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Paul_oz53 wrote:

Because my PVR isn't connected to the internet yet am I wrong thinking that I wouldn't be able to do what you've showed me?
I have been reading some people have updated their U4 by a key using beta, where would I find this and is it just a matter of putting the key into the pvr to update it, because I'm flying blind here with no output to my tv screen.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Thu Mar 15, 2018 15:54

Scotty66 wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 15:51
Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Paul_oz53 wrote:

Because my PVR isn't connected to the internet yet am I wrong thinking that I wouldn't be able to do what you've showed me?
I have been reading some people have updated their U4 by a key using beta, where would I find this and is it just a matter of putting the key into the pvr to update it, because I'm flying blind here with no output to my tv screen.

To update from USB, you need to restart the box. So it shut down (not just standby), insert the USB and restart. The video during update is controlled by the update, so your settings won't matter to it.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Thu Mar 15, 2018 15:57

Scotty66 wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 15:51
Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Paul_oz53 wrote:

You could follow the screenshots I posted (from #2 onwards) and use the remote to reset the A/V settings -
SETUP
RIGHT
OK
DOWN
LEFT or RIGHT to disable Automatic resolution
DOWN
LEFT or RIGHT to change resolution
GREEN to save
Front panel of U4 - "Is this video mode OK?" (also on TV if mode is suitable)
If mode is _not_ suitable, let the prompt time out (~20 secs, watch front panel) and try a few more clicks left or right, repeat.
Then change the resolution to the best for your TV

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 16:01

Scotty66 wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 14:32
Thanks guys for your help, I did actually reply to your posts but they haven't shown,I'm having a bad day with technology today. :(
Unfortunately I have not been able to connect my U4 with my network yet due to having problem with the wireless dongle that I was using in my Toppy. I tried the website that you suggested Paul but it's not connecting/unable to find.
So it sounds like if I could update my firmware it should fix the problem, but as I'm not connected to the internet yet that's going to be hard unless I am able to download the latest F/W on a key, would that be possible?

Cheers
Scott
Scott,

Try GG's suggestion first.

Else, you can log into this site from a PC and download the U4 image from this post: viewtopic.php?f=56&t=12342#p164466

Expand the zip file to extract the folder 'beyonwiz'. Copy this folder to a USB 1 compatible key formatted as FAT32 Many find older USB sticks work best. Some USB 3 sticks have issues so be prepared to experiment if it doesn't work straight up. Not sure this is still true of the U4 though.

Follow the advice in the video to upgrade: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=12345

This image does have a known bug with the front panel display setup menu. Do not attempt to access that menu because it will cause a crash. We can expect a fix soon via an online update.

Paul
Denon AVR -X2400H

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Thu Mar 15, 2018 16:46

Paul_oz53 wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 16:01
This image does have a known bug with the front panel display setup menu. Do not attempt to access that menu because it will cause a crash. We can expect a fix soon via an online update.

I'm working on it right now. :)
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Thu Mar 15, 2018 17:22

Scotty66 wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 14:32
..., I did actually reply to your posts but they haven't shown,I'm having a bad day with technology today. :(

Nah, your forum profile ranking status was "On probation" meaning your posts needed approval by a forum moderator first before they'd show to us mere mortals.
You've now reached 'Newbie' status so I think you're allowed to post without anyone holding your hands :)

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Thu Mar 15, 2018 17:37

prl wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 16:46
Paul_oz53 wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 16:01

I'm working on it right now. :)

Actually, peteru fixed it before I could submit, but I prefer my fix. ;)
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Scotty66

Post by Scotty66 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 09:47

Thanks guys for all your help,all up and running now,appreciate you all taking the time to help me.

Cheers
Scott

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:45

Scotty66 wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 09:47
Thanks guys for all your help,all up and running now,appreciate you all taking the time to help me.

The MENU>Setup>AV setup>AV settings>Automatic resolution setting, which probably got you into the problem in the first place, is usually used by people who want to do any video processing on their AVR or other equipment (like the TV) rather than on the Beyonwiz.

Generally, if you want to use it that way, you set up all the "Show ... as ..." settings so that the original broadcast or media file resolution is the same as the HDMI output, so, for example, "Show 1080i as 1080i". That will then mean that the video is passed through to the HDMI in its original form without any scaling, or applying or removing interlacing.

Another possible use would be to pass through unchanged all resolutions that the downstream equipment can handle, and only rescale resolutions that the downsrtream gear can't handle. So, for example, if I wanted to use this facility on our TV so that, as far as possible, all rescaling was done on the TV, I'd need to set all the "Show ... as ..." settings to pass through, except that I'd need "Show 1080p as 1080i" and "Show 2160p as 1080i" because the TV can't handle higher resolutions than 1080i. That's not how I have it set up, but if I wanted to use it for that purpose, it would need to be set up that way.

The problem with just enabling Automatic resolution and not changing the "Show ... as ..." settings is that they all default to "Show everything as 2160p", and if your TV can't handle 2160p, you won't see any video.

The problem is compounded by the fact that in the early U4 firmware, the TV-OUT button doesn't work correctly if Automatic resolution is enabled. In current U4 firmware versions, TV-OUT works correctly in that case by forcing Automatic resolution off.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

HandyPandyman
On probation

Post by HandyPandyman » Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:33

Just got a new V2, and responding to the first helper ... yes EXCELLENT PERFECT SOLUTION..

was setting up on old SONY, froze when checking something bout hard drive format, had yet to do, and using a micro SD card, so I had already introduced some unknown, not tried elements into a complex system.. thought i’d caused the freeze and likely, the screen failing to black, right after flashing on/off during the reboot.

SO its str8 to the pool room with my LG 4K OLED, crank up the V2 Beyonwiz and

WORKS PERFECTLY!!

Thank you, thank you, thank you to the guy who first it sounds like resolution and frame rate was too high for the TV.

Turns out that was my issue, the beyonwiz out put to TV might reset itself in a system forced crash..

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun Jan 31, 2021 17:15

HandyPandyman wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:33
Turns out that was my issue, the beyonwiz out put to TV might reset itself in a system forced crash..

That would depend on whether the settings had been saved to file between when the resolution was set to the correct value and when the system crashed. That would be the case if the crash happened during the initial setup.

Now that you have the PVR set to a workable output resolution, I recommend that you save the settings if you haven't already done so(MENU>Setup>Software manager>Create backup).
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

HandyPandyman
On probation

Post by HandyPandyman » Tue Feb 02, 2021 05:06

oh I definitely defer to you, I have no idea of what mechanisms did what, I certainly saved nothing,

Saying I conducted the same test, setting up on old TV, I do some thing(s) stupid, it crashes, and presents with symptions as detailed, try rebooting etc read the hypothesis here in forum, and just moved to my new LG, it sign right in no glitches. Its supporting evidence not proof, and only someone with knowledge of product like yourself could attempt Bayesian or Conditional Probability of “the output to TV change hypothesis”

I’m alone in Cairns, out of the loop, a long time since I was involved in the industry>; but am I the ONLY person that is surprised that
the Beyonwiz does not have an internal hard drive? Has it always been so? If it was designed for one, is the space still avail for a HD and do you know if its big enough for a normal Samsung 870 QVO 4TB 2.5" SATA SSD MZ-77Q4T0BW ?

External drives? I gotem’ out the wah-zoo, two of each, in prep for my project.. max spec Dell Alein Desk top and lap top have arrived, strangely, both those orders I ticked 4TB option for hard drive, exact same working as Beyonwiz, imagine if DELL to leave out internal HD and just give external drives to cover it?

sorry, i’m up all night with the markets I can’t even read what i’ve writen now.... apologies in advance before I i pass out

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Feb 02, 2021 08:31

HandyPandyman wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 05:06
[A]m I the ONLY person that is surprised that
the Beyonwiz does not have an internal hard drive? Has it always been so? If it was designed for one, is the space still avail for a HD and do you know if its big enough for a normal Samsung 870 QVO 4TB 2.5" SATA SSD MZ-77Q4T0BW ?
The Beyonwiz? U4 or V2? The U4 can take an internal drive (and can be bought with one factory installed), or you can install one yourself (and the SSD you mentioned will probably be fine).

The V2 is the only Beyonwiz model in the new T/U/V series that can't have an internal drive, but it is also the only Beyonwiz model currently available new. There is no space available inside for an internal HDD internal, and AFAIK, there is no SATA connection, either.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Return to “General Discussion”